Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Outboard Dealers who 'drop ship'? I know suzuki, looking for others

Notices
Like Tree9Likes

Outboard Dealers who 'drop ship'? I know suzuki, looking for others

Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 904
Default Outboard Dealers who 'drop ship'? I know suzuki, looking for others

Looking for pricing on a repower, twin 250-350 (most likely 300), 30", with controls. I've got plenty of Suzuki options.

Do other manufacturers allow people to rig their own outboards? I hate paying for labor when I can do it myself. I also don't trust many other people to work on my boat as their level of acceptability and mine are usually worlds apart.

Who are the dealers who are willing to ship their outboards with the most competitive pricing on Mercury? Etec?

I don't think I will want to pay for Yamaha, but I'd consider it for the right price.

Thanks in advance
ShawnQ is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:24 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,837
Default

Most of the major outboard motor companies prohibit their dealers from selling a motor 'in the box' or shipping one to a customer without proper setup and rigging first. It is mentioned in the dealer contracts. Keep that in mind.

Some dealers will hang the motor on the boat, provide or have you purchase the rigging manual, so you can rig it yourself. Then when you are done, they will inspect the workmanship, initially fire up the motor, run an engine report which is often needed for warranty registration, and then register your motor with the factory.
wajski, alloyboy and unobtanium like this.
seahorse is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:29 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Medina/Catawba Is Ohio
Posts: 771
Default

Some dealers will drop ship but the manfature wants it installed by a dealer for warranty. I would not do a new engine my self because of warranty BS dealer dose it dealers problem...…...
wajski is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:01 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 5,116
Default

My experience is even Suzuki dealers don't "drop ship" motors. The dealer may get the motor(s), program them, and then ship them in the crate for end user install. Maybe some drop ship them and expect the end user to do the initial configurations, I am not sure.

Dealers for Yamaha, Evinrude, and Mercury were even more reluctant than Suzuki dealers to sell a motor that they didn't get to hang on the boat and rig. I couldn't even get some places to give me a quote when I was shopping. I guess they thought they were "protecting" themselves or the brand or whatever. In my case, all they did was push my money to a Suzuki dealer.

For what it is worth, I had one minor warrantee issue (O2 sensor failure). It was handled by the dealer that I bought the motors from without any issue.
ShawnQ likes this.
DreamWeaver21 is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 8,973
Default

There have been many a tale told here of someone getting a motor from one place, installing it oneself, and then having a hellava time getting it even worked on, let alone having a warranty repair performed. Local dealers could very well tell you to take it to the dealer that sold it to you.

As mentioned, most engine makers specify that most motors are not to be drop shipped to a customer. A dealer is not following the engine makers guidelines. Do you really want to work with a dealer that does not give a crap about his relationship with the engine maker? Imagine how he will feel about you if and when some problem arises.
alloyboy is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:33 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 8,973
Default

Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
Most of the major outboard motor companies prohibit their dealers from selling a motor 'in the box' or shipping one to a customer without proper setup and rigging first. It is mentioned in the dealer contracts. Keep that in mind.

Some dealers will hang the motor on the boat, provide or have you purchase the rigging manual, so you can rig it yourself. Then when you are done, they will inspect the workmanship, initially fire up the motor, run an engine report which is often needed for warranty registration, and then register your motor with the factory.
Correct. With the key word being some.

If I was a dealer there is no way that I would in any way assume any responsibility whatsoever for any work that was performed by a backyardigan. Simply not worth it IMO.

Something goes work and the yardigan is going to be pointing fingers. At the dealer, at the engine maker, at the boat builder, at anyone but himself.

The are not your uncles outboard motors.
alloyboy is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:33 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Eh?
Posts: 1,235
Default

Originally Posted by DreamWeaver21 View Post
My experience is even Suzuki dealers don't "drop ship" motors. The dealer may get the motor(s), program them, and then ship them in the crate for end user install. Maybe some drop ship them and expect the end user to do the initial configurations, I am not sure.

Dealers for Yamaha, Evinrude, and Mercury were even more reluctant than Suzuki dealers to sell a motor that they didn't get to hang on the boat and rig. I couldn't even get some places to give me a quote when I was shopping. I guess they thought they were "protecting" themselves or the brand or whatever. In my case, all they did was push my money to a Suzuki dealer.

For what it is worth, I had one minor warrantee issue (O2 sensor failure). It was handled by the dealer that I bought the motors from without any issue.
That was then, this is now, I'm thinking things have tightened up a bit on this practice.
Blazer7420 is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,280
Default

Wow alot of negative talk. Not rocket science to hang an outboard. Check out this site I've been meaning to call them and see what their policy is

https://www.boats.net/catalog/accessories/outboard-motors-for-sale
Fordy is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,280
Default


Edit: here is their policy on the site
Fordy is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:38 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,280
Default

I would buy used or slightly used from a dealer or reputable guy on tht or classifieds and skip the company BS!
Fordy is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,110
Default

No engine manufacturer is going to "Drop Ship" an engine to you.. Drop Shipping means that its shipped directly from the manufacturer to you, by passing the dealer.. that will never happen unless Tesla starts making outboard engines.
amofgreenville is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:43 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 904
Default

So lets say I buy a set of used pro-staff outboards, or demo outboards, less than 20 hours, shipped from out of state.
Does that mean I won't have a dealer willing to do warranty work, or a manufacturer willing to support me?

Not really sure how it would be any different than a new set.

Do used engines require a dealer to rig/install them also?

Last edited by ShawnQ; 01-10-2019 at 09:57 AM.
ShawnQ is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 458
Default

2 years ago only Tohatsu and Suzuki dealers would ship me a motor to Alaska .
I went with a 150 Tohatsu which is built by Honda.
Honda, Evinrude & Mercury all said no.
I also know a West coast Suzuki dealer that ships, but probably to far away for you .
Outboards these days are pretty simple to rig.
Bob1957 is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:43 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 904
Default

Originally Posted by Bob1957 View Post
2 years ago only Tohatsu and Suzuki dealers would ship me a motor to Alaska .
I went with a 150 Tohatsu which is built by Honda.
Honda, Evinrude & Mercury all said no.
I also know a West coast Suzuki dealer that ships, but probably to far away for you .
Outboards these days are pretty simple to rig.
I've rigged probably 100-125 outboards, all mechanical. You're right. The new digital stuff makes it easy, aside from the initial programming which can be done before shipping.
ShawnQ is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:29 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10,930
Default

Originally Posted by ShawnQ View Post
So lets say I buy a set of used pro-staff outboards, or demo outboards, less than 20 hours, shipped from out of state.
Does that mean I won't have a dealer willing to do warranty work, or a manufacturer willing to support me?

Not really sure how it would be any different than a new set.

Do used engines require a dealer to rig/install them also?
Dealers can go either way. Some get mad if you didnt buy from them and prioritize you last and charge you double. If you've done business before I would not worry about that.

As for warranty, I think you would want to read the warranty terms for the specific motor after verifying its registered and still under warranty through a dealer or the manufacturer.
mystery is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:34 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 7,061
Default

Nope no body can get a Yamaha dropped in their driveway, unless they can
Talk to those internet box dealers and see what you can do. This is my 2d one, my 2002 Merc 60 was dropped here too.
Name:  new%20motor.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  94.5 KB
gfretwell is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:36 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 7,061
Default

I got a warranty card on both of my motors along with the YES on this F70 and the extension on the Merc.
Dealers don't give a crap where you bought it, They make more money on service than they do on selling a box motor.
gfretwell is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:38 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 257
Default

Originally Posted by ShawnQ View Post
So lets say I buy a set of used pro-staff outboards, or demo outboards, less than 20 hours, shipped from out of state.
Does that mean I won't have a dealer willing to do warranty work, or a manufacturer willing to support me?

Not really sure how it would be any different than a new set.

Do used engines require a dealer to rig/install them also?

As of last year Surfside Marina is an authorized dealer of Merc and Yamaha, however they do not actually sell the engines. Good for warranty work and will not penalize you if you buy the engine elsewhere.

Evans marine maybe a Suzuki dealer that does not sell suzuki's if i remember correctly, not 100% sure about that though.
MTSkibum is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:44 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,874
Default

You might have problems getting warranty authorizations if there is no dealer PDI (pre delivery inspection). Some manufacturers want it on file with your serial number(s).
This is an issue with Mercuriser (Mercury Marine).
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:55 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Eh?
Posts: 1,235
Default

Originally Posted by gfretwell View Post
Nope no body can get a Yamaha dropped in their driveway, unless they can
Talk to those internet box dealers and see what you can do. This is my 2d one, my 2002 Merc 60 was dropped here too.
Attachment 1093992
Ok, who sold it to you?
Blazer7420 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread