Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

2015 Suzuki DF 175 Clogged Cooling System

Notices

2015 Suzuki DF 175 Clogged Cooling System

Old 01-06-2019, 07:58 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 139
Default 2015 Suzuki DF 175 Clogged Cooling System

Hey THT
I have a 2015 Suzuki DF 175 that wonít pass water through the tell tale.
The hose is clear, the passage to the powerhead is clogged. I tried clamping a hose to the powerhead nipple with hose turn on to back flush it, and itís totally clogged. Also tried with compressed air, same results, passage is totally clogged...

no water comes out when flush hose is connected to front of engine, it comes out the exhaust just fine though.

any ideas? Other than taking to dealer, trying not to.
Kwaj305 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Caroliina
Posts: 204
Default

Removing some of the engine zinc's and thermostat may allow the garden water flow to push the crud out of these openings. Just a rather easy and inexpensive attempt. I've also heard if people flushing engines in a tub of vinegar too.
beaufort boy is online now  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:30 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 847
Default

Same issue on my Stbd motor. Been clogged 2 years never an overheat issue. Tried salt away, removing zincs and flushing, .compressed air, mono through pee hole. No change. No idea what could be clogging it and where.
the_gooch is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:55 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by beaufort boy View Post
Removing some of the engine zinc's and thermostat may allow the garden water flow to push the crud out of these openings. Just a rather easy and inexpensive attempt. I've also heard if people flushing engines in a tub of vinegar too.
ill try removing a zinc shortly
Kwaj305 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:56 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by the_gooch View Post
Same issue on my Stbd motor. Been clogged 2 years never an overheat issue. Tried salt away, removing zincs and flushing, .compressed air, mono through pee hole. No change. No idea what could be clogging it and where.
what year and horsepower?
Just tried running some mono through it, no change.
got about 2 foot in side, but light just be binding up in a corner?
Kwaj305 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:03 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Posts: 679
Default

Not sure about the 175, but on the 115's I removed a small rubber hose, on the rear, starboard side of the block. Poked a piece of stiff wire into the block orifice and spun it around until it finally broke through. Salt-Away had no effect on the clog. It'll break up salt deposits, but not scale. If the tell-tale fitting is removable, take it off and check/clean it too. And where it, (or it's hose) is attached to the block.
catch232 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:09 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 847
Default

Originally Posted by kwaj305 View Post
hey tht
i have a 2015 suzuki df 175 that wonít pass water through the tell tale.
The hose is clear, the passage to the powerhead is clogged. I tried clamping a hose to the powerhead nipple with hose turn on to back flush it, and itís totally clogged. Also tried with compressed air, same results, passage is totally clogged...

No water comes out when flush hose is connected to front of engine, it comes out the exhaust just fine though.

Any ideas? Other than taking to dealer, trying not to.
Originally Posted by kwaj305 View Post


what year and horsepower?
Just tried running some mono through it, no change.
Got about 2 foot in side, but light just be binding up in a corner?
2014 df175.
the_gooch is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:53 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by catch232 View Post
Not sure about the 175, but on the 115's I removed a small rubber hose, on the rear, starboard side of the block. Poked a piece of stiff wire into the block orifice and spun it around until it finally broke through. Salt-Away had no effect on the clog. It'll break up salt deposits, but not scale. If the tell-tale fitting is removable, take it off and check/clean it too. And where it, (or it's hose) is attached to the block.
I will try and find that hose.
Kwaj305 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:54 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by the_gooch View Post
2014 df175.
how many hours on yours? Did you buy them brand new?
Kwaj305 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 10:34 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 531
Default

Unclogged a DF140 by removing the flush port cap,, removed the pee hole fitting and utilizing a small fitting on the water hose, sprayed water into the pee hole. It allowed water to exit through the flush port and cleared the obstruction. All other attempts failed.
snookaffinity is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 10:44 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by catch232 View Post
Not sure about the 175, but on the 115's I removed a small rubber hose, on the rear, starboard side of the block. Poked a piece of stiff wire into the block orifice and spun it around until it finally broke through. Salt-Away had no effect on the clog. It'll break up salt deposits, but not scale. If the tell-tale fitting is removable, take it off and check/clean it too. And where it, (or it's hose) is attached to the block.
well looks like there is a secondary hose, but on the port side of engine block, that leads to another engine block nipple, cleaned it out and it pees great now!
Kwaj305 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 10:45 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 139
Default

Problem solved! Just had to clear a nipple port on the starboard side of block. Was clogged with a little debris.
ill be running salt away through the engine to clean it up
further.
thanks guys
Kwaj305 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 01:27 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 847
Default

Originally Posted by Kwaj305 View Post


how many hours on yours? Did you buy them brand new?
200 now. Bought new
the_gooch is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 01:28 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 847
Default

Originally Posted by Kwaj305 View Post
Problem solved! Just had to clear a nipple port on the starboard side of block. Was clogged with a little debris.
ill be running salt away through the engine to clean it up
further.
thanks guys
Can you take some pics or show where on parts diagram?
the_gooch is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread