Notices
The Boating Forum

23 Albury or 25/26 Pathfinder

Old 12-21-2018, 08:30 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location:
Posts: 372
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 23 Albury or 25/26 Pathfinder

I'm looking for a boat that I can fish inshore and take it offshore when the weather is calm. I'll mainly use the boat inshore and cruising with the family but I want something I can take offshore 4-5 times a year when the weather permits (and not get my teeth kicked in). I am in South Carolina so we have to run 40 plus miles to hit the gulf stream. Someone will say these boats are apples versus oranges and they are to a degree, but both draft the same and are in my opinion hybrid type boats. I would imagine the Pathfinder is a little better inshore fishing and the Albury a little better in the ocean. Both will be great cruising with the family.

I've run the 23 Albury many times in the Abacos and this is what I'm leaning towards, but a buddy of mine is telling me I'm crazy to not look at the 26 Pathfinder because they are the the same amount of money and he claims the 26 Pathfinder runs like an offshore boat in the ocean.

Anyone have experience on both of these boats?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 573
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

I can't comment on the Pathfinder, but I do have several crossings (Florida to West End/Nassau/Exumas) on our 23 Albury and it's an absolutely incredible boat. What it can handle at that size is always impressive. The simplicity of the boat makes ownership a breeze. As far as the shallows are concerned, it can handle most everything besides the fisheries limited to skiffs.
Likes:
Old 12-21-2018, 10:58 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 3,119
Received 606 Likes on 377 Posts
Default

That 25 hybrid pathfinder is a sweet boat. Saw one a few weeks ago at a waterfront restaurant I was at. I didnt even know they made that boat until I saw it.
But the Albury would be my pick.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:06 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 7,067
Received 1,197 Likes on 844 Posts
Default

Albury long before Pathy. However much better choices for the money.
Likes:
Old 12-21-2018, 11:25 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location:
Posts: 372
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CaptSamShurhold View Post
I can't comment on the Pathfinder, but I do have several crossings (Florida to West End/Nassau/Exumas) on our 23 Albury and it's an absolutely incredible boat. What it can handle at that size is always impressive. The simplicity of the boat makes ownership a breeze. As far as the shallows are concerned, it can handle most everything besides the fisheries limited to skiffs.
Agree on your comments and I've rented the Albury 18.5, 20, and 23 many times in the Abacos and they are all incredible boats and the 23 Albury is a boat I've drooled over for many years.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:48 AM
  #6  
LBI
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Posts: 711
Likes: 0
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Albury great boat, if U can afford one. Seems ridiculously overpriced for what U get. Just sayin.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:00 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 3,119
Received 606 Likes on 377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LBI View Post
Albury great boat, if U can afford one. Seems ridiculously overpriced for what U get. Just sayin.
Over the last 10 years Ive watched them go up steadily
Old 12-21-2018, 12:03 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location:
Posts: 372
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LBI View Post
Albury great boat, if U can afford one. Seems ridiculously overpriced for what U get. Just sayin.
I look at an Albury purchase like a Land cruiser. A new Land Cruiser is much more expensive than other SUVs in its class, but it will literally run forever and this purchase starts to make sense if you keep the vehicle 20 years. I've spent a lot of time on an Albury and toured the facility in MOW several times and I'm sold on the quality. If you are the kind of guy that gets a new boat every 3-4 years, other boats probably make more sense. If I get an Albury, it will be something that I pass down to my children and there aren't many boats on the market any longer that will last this long.
Likes:
Old 12-21-2018, 06:40 PM
  #9  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lighthouse Point
Posts: 5,370
Received 1,076 Likes on 700 Posts
Default

Albury. Not as fast, Less convenience factors. Class. Great ride. Simple is sometime better. Maybe more than sometimes.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:56 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 4,126
Received 280 Likes on 154 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jtms View Post
I look at an Albury purchase like a Land cruiser. A new Land Cruiser is much more expensive than other SUVs in its class, but it will literally run forever and this purchase starts to make sense if you keep the vehicle 20 years. I've spent a lot of time on an Albury and toured the facility in MOW several times and I'm sold on the quality. If you are the kind of guy that gets a new boat every 3-4 years, other boats probably make more sense. If I get an Albury, it will be something that I pass down to my children and there aren't many boats on the market any longer that will last this long.
I agree with you but want to add...If you look at the price today and purchase...and sell 5 years from now with the cost of materials steadily going up...your sale price will not be much different than what you paid for the boat originally... These boats are built for a lifetime...priced reasonably for what you get..(less than a 23 Regulator)...I prefer the Albury vs the Pathfinder.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:22 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 648
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

If fishin is the mission than the Pathfinder would be the ticket, both inshore and offshore when the weather permits. Having the speed of a Pathfinder would also shorten your rides offshore considerably. They are fishing boats with all the things you need. The Albury’s rounded bottom rides great but is just more of a cruiser.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.