Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Verado 300 V8 anybody running one..opinions

Notices
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buckeye21

Verado 300 V8 anybody running one..opinions

Old 11-27-2018, 02:53 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ghana West Africa
Posts: 2,106
Default Verado 300 V8 anybody running one..opinions

Anybody running these in a single configuration , would like some real world opinions, so far have only seen the sponsored guys rave about them
busanga is offline  
Old 11-27-2018, 03:35 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Cocoa, FL Brevard
Posts: 5,309
Default

Well them and a couple of dealers on this site.

Originally Posted by busanga View Post
Anybody running these in a single configuration , would like some real world opinions, so far have only seen the sponsored guys rave about them
HighSpeedPursuit is online now  
Old 11-27-2018, 04:22 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,547
Default

Iíve been waiting to read more reviews on this motor. I am almost certain Iím putting one on my new 26í single hybrid Iím ordering in January. Only thing that will change my mind is if a 350 or 400 v8 mercury come out.
cp5899 is offline  
Old 11-27-2018, 04:28 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 54
Default

I’ll know soon my new cayman 246 just came in is getting electronics rigged hope to get on water late next week it has 300 verado can’t wait to start breaking it in
Egis likes this.
Buckeye21 is offline  
Old 11-28-2018, 11:51 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ghana West Africa
Posts: 2,106
Default

i am very interested in replacing my 275 VP 5.0L V8 OSi with the Verado V8 300. i think would be a perfect repower. was looking at the Suzuki DF 350 mainly because of the duo prop...but it is a heavy beast and may make the stern on my Osprey 24 Fisherman sit too low. The mercury is a light weight in comparison
busanga is offline  
Old 11-28-2018, 12:57 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cooper City, Florida
Posts: 48
Default

Picking up my 2019 Axopar 28c on Friday with the new V8 300 hp. I'll know more after a few weeks...
nickal is offline  
Old 11-28-2018, 02:21 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ghana West Africa
Posts: 2,106
Default

Originally Posted by nickal View Post
Picking up my 2019 Axopar 28c on Friday with the new V8 300 hp. I'll know more after a few weeks...
what weight is your boat , looks like it may be the closest comparison to mine (Osprey Fisherman is heavy pilothouse)
busanga is offline  
Old 11-28-2018, 04:03 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Coral Fl
Posts: 943
Default

My buddy bought a Wellcraft 241 with a single 300 Verado. He asked me to drive it through a section of water in Matlacha Pass that he wasn't familiar with. I said what the hell ok. I was blown away by how quiet and smooth his verado ran. Very responsive to the throttle, but so smooth and quiet. We got to Picnic Island and he wanted to stop, I almost trimmed the motor out of the water with it running when we put the power pole down, because it was so quiet.
My Last three boats all have had Yamaha's, my 20CC Hydrasport had a single 250, my 256 Cobia had twin 150's and my current 277 Cobia has twin 200's. The Verado was quieter, and smoother running that any of my Yamaha's. Don't get me wrong I like Yamaha motors, but given a choice of Mercury Verado, or Yamaha, my next boat will have Verado's if they still make them.
On a different note ran the Florida Powerboat Poker Run down to Key West from Coconut Grove on a 34 Nor-Tech with triple Verado 350's even with 3 of them they still were so quiet you could hold a conversation at 50 mph and all you heard was wind noise.
Beak Boater is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 12:01 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by busanga View Post
i am very interested in replacing my 275 VP 5.0L V8 OSi with the Verado V8 300. i think would be a perfect repower. was looking at the Suzuki DF 350 mainly because of the duo prop...but it is a heavy beast and may make the stern on my Osprey 24 Fisherman sit too low. The mercury is a light weight in comparison
i think the Suzuki 350 will be the perfect replacement for the KAD43 in my Davis Rock Harbor (radon hull design). I think it would be perfect for your osprey as well.
sfjakey is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 01:02 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ghana West Africa
Posts: 2,106
Default

Originally Posted by Beak Boater View Post
My buddy bought a Wellcraft 241 with a single 300 Verado. He asked me to drive it through a section of water in Matlacha Pass that he wasn't familiar with. I said what the hell ok. I was blown away by how quiet and smooth his verado ran. Very responsive to the throttle, but so smooth and quiet. We got to Picnic Island and he wanted to stop, I almost trimmed the motor out of the water with it running when we put the power pole down, because it was so quiet.
My Last three boats all have had Yamaha's, my 20CC Hydrasport had a single 250, my 256 Cobia had twin 150's and my current 277 Cobia has twin 200's. The Verado was quieter, and smoother running that any of my Yamaha's. Don't get me wrong I like Yamaha motors, but given a choice of Mercury Verado, or Yamaha, my next boat will have Verado's if they still make them.
On a different note ran the Florida Powerboat Poker Run down to Key West from Coconut Grove on a 34 Nor-Tech with triple Verado 350's even with 3 of them they still were so quiet you could hold a conversation at 50 mph and all you heard was wind noise.
You talking about the V6 or the V8
busanga is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 01:05 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ghana West Africa
Posts: 2,106
Default

Originally Posted by sfjakey View Post

i think the Suzuki 350 will be the perfect replacement for the KAD43 in my Davis Rock Harbor (radon hull design). I think it would be perfect for your osprey as well.
i need check the octane rating here carefully. The suzuki doesnt like low octane, runs like cr@p apparently, loses power and increase fuel consumption. engine retards timing to avoid knocking at the high compression it has 12:1
busanga is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 04:06 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,864
Default

If you're on Facebook look on the contenders only page. Very impressive numbers posted on a 1997 31 repowered with twin V8 300's. I believe they stated 1.2mpg at 60mph, 1.7 at 50 and 2.2 at 35. They hit 62 light briefly the rest of the numbers were with some weight.
Patton222 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 05:44 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,547
Default

Originally Posted by Patton222 View Post
If you're on Facebook look on the contenders only page. Very impressive numbers posted on a 1997 31 repowered with twin V8 300's. I believe they stated 1.2mpg at 60mph, 1.7 at 50 and 2.2 at 35. They hit 62 light briefly the rest of the numbers were with some weight.

Those are some very impressive numbers for a 31 ft boat with twin 300ís.
cp5899 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread