Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

PVC Sheet/panel from Home Depot - still available?

Notices
Like Tree8Likes

PVC Sheet/panel from Home Depot - still available?

Old 11-09-2018, 08:59 AM
  #21  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 904
Default

Originally Posted by aeadams View Post
Any thoughts on this product for a ttop canvas replacement?
I've seen one guy who did this...but didnt ever see him follow up.
ShawnQ is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 11:31 AM
  #22  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 524
Default

Originally Posted by aeadams View Post
Any thoughts on this product for a ttop canvas replacement?
i did this. No mold, no warpage, no problems.
tenacious1 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 11:44 AM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 904
Default

Originally Posted by tenacious1 View Post


i did this. No mold, no warpage, no problems.
Did you coat the edges with anything? Is it entirely flat, or slightly curved? Do you have radar, antenna, and outriggers? I assume so...and if so, are they mounted to aluminum plates underneath or just the PVC?

Thanks for replying.
ShawnQ is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 11:54 AM
  #24  
cmw
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by aeadams View Post
Any thoughts on this product for a ttop canvas replacement?
i have been using it for years as my top material when building t tops. As apposed to using fiberglass. I do however build a full frame beneath it. It bends well to conform to the curves and can be painted and faired. Pvc glue works well to join pieces, they also make a more specialized glue brand specific. Im told by friends (high end carpenters) it is stronger than the pvc and a bent piece will not break at the glued joint when done correctly. I use this anywhere i need plastic but dont need the strength of starboard. It works great when glued to a wooden bulkhead. I can screw stuff to it without worrying about putting screws into the wood and not sealing them.
cmw is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 11:57 AM
  #25  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 524
Default

Originally Posted by ShawnQ View Post
Did you coat the edges with anything? Is it entirely flat, or slightly curved? Do you have radar, antenna, and outriggers? I assume so...and if so, are they mounted to aluminum plates underneath or just the PVC?

Thanks for replying.
i didnít coat the edges with anything.
My t top is curved, the flexibility of the pvc board followed the pipe work easily.
I do have outriggers, antennas, but no radar. Everything mounts into the aluminum backing plates that were already there & being used with the canvas top.

I took my canvas off & layed it over the pvc board to use as a template to drill the holes for the penetrations (outriggers, antennas). Donít use the canvas as a template for the length & width though or it will be short both ways.
tenacious1 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 12:21 PM
  #26  
cmw
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by tenacious1 View Post


i didnít coat the edges with anything.
My t top is curved, the flexibility of the pvc board followed the pipe work easily.
I do have outriggers, antennas, but no radar. Everything mounts into the aluminum backing plates that were already there & being used with the canvas top.

I took my canvas off & layed it over the pvc board to use as a template to drill the holes for the penetrations (outriggers, antennas). Donít use the canvas as a template for the length & width though or it will be short both ways.
you can go over the edges with a fairing compound for pin holes and finish puttying. Sand after by hand with fine paper or you will pull it right off. I am going to try some G flex on the edges of some seats im building to see if it works better.
also i have a radar on my top. Everything i bolt down i bolt through a welded down pad. Also when securing high load pieces ( like a t top- top) i dont use counter sunk machine screws. I use pan head with washers so they cant pull through. My tops have been out there for years with no breakage issues
cmw is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 12:47 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 274
Default

Originally Posted by cmw View Post
you can go over the edges with a fairing compound for pin holes and finish puttying. Sand after by hand with fine paper or you will pull it right off. I am going to try some G flex on the edges of some seats im building to see if it works better.
also i have a radar on my top. Everything i bolt down i bolt through a welded down pad. Also when securing high load pieces ( like a t top- top) i dont use counter sunk machine screws. I use pan head with washers so they cant pull through. My tops have been out there for years with no breakage issues
Pics!!!
Ed455 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 01:12 PM
  #28  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 904
Default

Originally Posted by cmw View Post
you can go over the edges with a fairing compound for pin holes and finish puttying. Sand after by hand with fine paper or you will pull it right off. I am going to try some G flex on the edges of some seats im building to see if it works better.
also i have a radar on my top. Everything i bolt down i bolt through a welded down pad. Also when securing high load pieces ( like a t top- top) i dont use counter sunk machine screws. I use pan head with washers so they cant pull through. My tops have been out there for years with no breakage issues
I'd love to see some of these tops.

I would like to do this, and mount the top from the bottom side, so there are no screws going through the top surface. I just need to find a source for the material. I guess I'll have to get Home Depot to send it to me.
ShawnQ is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 01:30 PM
  #29  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 524
Default

Originally Posted by ShawnQ View Post
I'd love to see some of these tops.

I would like to do this, and mount the top from the bottom side, so there are no screws going through the top surface. I just need to find a source for the material. I guess I'll have to get Home Depot to send it to me.
this is the only picture I have at the moment. (Looked up the what did you do to your boat todayĒ thread. Picture was taken when I was installing it, hence the clamp & limp outrigger.

Scottinline1 likes this.
tenacious1 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 01:41 PM
  #30  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Delaware
Posts: 265
Default

If you sand the end grain with 220 grit sandpaper it closes the grain a lot. I use trim screws for mine then use caulk to fill the holes, or resin, then paint.
Delduck is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hallandale Beach
Posts: 634
Default

Originally Posted by tenacious1 View Post


i did this. No mold, no warpage, no problems.
Nice to know - I had a black sheet of PVC board sitting out in the sun loose and it warped
chiung is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 03:59 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location:
Posts: 167
Default

I've used cellular pvc extensively for my house trim and built a couple outdoor kitchen cabinets from it. When i've cut pieces from sheets the porous end grain tends to get dirty/moldy pretty quick. Sanding and sealing with a good paint works well to prevent. Larger/course thread stainless screws hold ok. If you drill a good countersunk pilot hole, add some 5200 holds better.
raptor660 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 05:11 PM
  #33  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 61
Default




Top for my fish box
twiz is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 05:30 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 175
Default

Have my doubts but can this be used as a core (glass and epoxy sandwich)? I know pvc foam for core is sold but assume this is different
Mtwhoosh is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 08:08 PM
  #35  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 93
Default

Originally Posted by tenacious1 View Post


this is the only picture I have at the moment. (Looked up the what did you do to your boat todayĒ thread. Picture was taken when I was installing it, hence the clamp & limp outrigger.

if you get a chance could you upload some more pictures of the top and bottom. This exactly what I would like to do for my T top.
Thank you
Scottinline1 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 09:24 PM
  #36  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 27
Default

I was at a boat surplus store and they had sheets of this. The guy working there says this can be used in structural components by sandwiching it between glass. He said you'd obviously have to rough it up for better adhesion. I was kind of skeptical but he says that many boat companies are using it as their core material. Anybody have any knowledge on this being true? I'm doing a rebuild and need to do my floor and this might be a economical option.
Marcel4t is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 04:19 AM
  #37  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,954
Default

My HD has 4x8 sheets of 1/2" and 2x4 sheets of 1/4". I keep several in stock. Love the way you can PVC glue it together, use the screws to hold the shape until glue dries. Bait station, drawers, electronics box all worked well. Use Starboard for high wear areas and drawer fronts. Cheap and easy to work with.
duke460 is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 04:28 AM
  #38  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thomasville, GA
Posts: 63
Default

For everyone that is using glue - are you using the purple primer as well?
asanders is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 05:18 AM
  #39  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 524
Default

Originally Posted by Marcel4t View Post
I was at a boat surplus store and they had sheets of this. The guy working there says this can be used in structural components by sandwiching it between glass. He said you'd obviously have to rough it up for better adhesion. I was kind of skeptical but he says that many boat companies are using it as their core material. Anybody have any knowledge on this being true? I'm doing a rebuild and need to do my floor and this might be a economical option.
i replaced the deck on this boat with it as well, glassed both sides & itís solid as a rock.
tenacious1 is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 05:18 AM
  #40  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 524
Default

Originally Posted by Scottinline1 View Post

if you get a chance could you upload some more pictures of the top and bottom. This exactly what I would like to do for my T top.
Thank you
sure thing, Iím running some errands & will snap a few when I get back.
Scottinline1 likes this.
tenacious1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread