Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Pontoon in the ocean: advise please, I apologise for 100 questions

Notices
Like Tree47Likes

Pontoon in the ocean: advise please, I apologise for 100 questions

Old 10-20-2018, 09:13 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 47
Default Pontoon in the ocean: advise please, I apologise for 100 questions

Hello Hull Community, I again have to first say thank ALL of you for ALL the information that you gave me on the previous posts, I was out for a bit but I FINALLY CLOSED AND MOVED OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!

Now, when it came to writing that $22,000 check, ALL YOUR ADVICE came rushing back in, I really wanted that 2003 Monterey 298 SS, it is Beautiful..............only drag was the 900hrs.

Anyway, I watched videos on pontoons on the ocean and I thought that they weren't good options for sea operations but they seem quite able.............I saw some SWEET examples out of my price range but saw many way below HALF the Twin Engine Monterey with MORE usable area to entertain.

Anyone with experience with pontoons in the ocean? Thinking of getting a 25ft which carries MORE than the 298SS, weighs less and yes guys, after hearing your opinions, I researched and I now want OUTBOARDS too.

I want to spend less than $15,000 so I can double up on some industrial equipment I will need.

Lastly, I like big power but is it very necessary in the ocean, is there a bare minimum you want? I see them in GA with 80Hp but most of the new ones in FL are running 200hp engines or Twin 150hp, but these are above 15K (but still less than 22K).

Any information will be greatly appreciated........
Gemini_nkr is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 09:33 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Onancock, VA
Posts: 206
Default

Pontoons like water that is smooth, as is found in lakes and rivers, not oceans.
Walleye Guy, JBS and Waterbean131 like this.
JohnBoddie is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 10:01 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern L.I., Sebastian fl.
Posts: 840
Default

Calm lake boat or river boat as said above, there is videos on you tube of pontoon boats in inlets and such . I
kaku is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 10:05 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Hoover & Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 350
Default

Do not ever take a pontoon boat through a pass into open water. Just my $.02
Zardoz likes this.
BoatPoor2 is online now  
Old 10-20-2018, 12:34 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 18
Default

I have a 24’ Sweetwater with 115 Yamaha 4s for power that’s 3 years old. Sweetwater pontoons are “price boats” in my opinion but I simply use to take booze cruises and kids to the point. We boat in an Inlet to the Atlantic. A pontoon (at least my $25,000 one) will flex so bad that it will fall apart if used regularly in the ocean as my friends did. We have the large tubes for crossing big wakes and the occasional chop when wind and current are opposite- In these conditions I pull back as it just feels like you are destroying the boat. I’ve gone a little ways in the ocean and regretted it. Navigating the jetties is downright dangerous in anything less than perfect. The high priced ($100k) larger ones may be significantly better but I am suspect.
WeeKilt likes this.
InletCap is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 12:40 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 2,548
Default

Look at this:

Yeah, bad ride, look at it jumping all around......Wait that's the camera on the chase boat that is jumping, maybe a mono-hull?
bamafutbal and Cajunoxbowj like this.
GaryDoug is online now  
Old 10-20-2018, 12:48 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by Gemini_nkr View Post
Hello Hull Community, I again have to first say thank ALL of you for ALL the information that you gave me on the previous posts, I was out for a bit but I FINALLY CLOSED AND MOVED OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!

Now, when it came to writing that $22,000 check, ALL YOUR ADVICE came rushing back in, I really wanted that 2003 Monterey 298 SS, it is Beautiful..............only drag was the 900hrs.

Anyway, I watched videos on pontoons on the ocean and I thought that they weren't good options for sea operations but they seem quite able.............I saw some SWEET examples out of my price range but saw many way below HALF the Twin Engine Monterey with MORE usable area to entertain.

Anyone with experience with pontoons in the ocean? Thinking of getting a 25ft which carries MORE than the 298SS, weighs less and yes guys, after hearing your opinions, I researched and I now want OUTBOARDS too.

I want to spend less than $15,000 so I can double up on some industrial equipment I will need.

Lastly, I like big power but is it very necessary in the ocean, is there a bare minimum you want? I see them in GA with 80Hp but most of the new ones in FL are running 200hp engines or Twin 150hp, but these are above 15K (but still less than 22K).

Any information will be greatly appreciated........
I ended up out 5 miles in two to three footers in my 21 foot Bennington a couple days ago. They were only one footers when I left shore otherwise I wouldn't have gone out. Even as the waves started building it wasn't a problem but why temp fate is always what I say. My pontoon has oversized logs only two of them, and a 75 horse Optimax. I usually cruise at 20 to 21 mph. It took me around 15 minutes to get back inshore because I wasn't in a hurry and was experimenting with my Hook 7. If you don't go too far out, pick your days, and get some practice a pontoon is fine offshore. I've gone 20 miles on a bluebird day but shouldn't do it really. My boat does not flex in the middle and will not break apart in rougher seas. Longer pontoons maybe do flex, I've never been on any.
SWF Pontoon Angler is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 12:50 PM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 47
Default

Wow, as I was searching I saw a nice pontoon and wondered...........when I checked, I saw many comparisons and one thing I liked was the stability, to see someone standing at the edge fishing was awesome since I had a 26ft Go fast and it rocked a lot. The 298SS is a Twin Engine but the cost is high and so are the hours.

Also, running charters to the reef to snorkel I think would be nice and the savings allows me to take a personal toy.
Gemini_nkr is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 12:51 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by BoatPoor2 View Post
Do not ever take a pontoon boat through a pass into open water. Just my $.02
Guess you haven't owned one.....you might be surprised.
SWF Pontoon Angler is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 12:52 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by kaku View Post
Calm lake boat or river boat as said above, there is videos on you tube of pontoon boats in inlets and such . I
Have you piloted a pontoon in heavy chop? Doesn't sound like it
SWF Pontoon Angler is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 12:54 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by GaryDoug View Post
Look at this:

Yeah, bad ride, look at it jumping all around......Wait that's the camera on the chase boat that is jumping, maybe a mono-hull?
You are so right....you can jar your teeth out and sink if you're on a CC.
SWF Pontoon Angler is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 12:56 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,398
Default

if you want a poontoon for the ocean, then buy one made for it like Worldcat, glacier bay, freeman, etc.... not a lake poontoon
clamc, SeaCat22 and Neuner like this.
Jeepman is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 12:59 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by Gemini_nkr View Post
Wow, as I was searching I saw a nice pontoon and wondered...........when I checked, I saw many comparisons and one thing I liked was the stability, to see someone standing at the edge fishing was awesome since I had a 26ft Go fast and it rocked a lot. The 298SS is a Twin Engine but the cost is high and so are the hours.

Also, running charters to the reef to snorkel I think would be nice and the savings allows me to take a personal toy.
Charter captains for the flats are really missing out by not buying one of the new CC looking pontoons for fishing. Everything is better and cost is lower, can hold more people, less fuel costs, better ride, no downsides.
SWF Pontoon Angler is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 01:00 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
if you want a poontoon for the ocean, then buy one made for it like Worldcat, glacier bay, freeman, etc.... not a lake poontoon
Where do you think those boats got the Idea for their pontoons?
SWF Pontoon Angler is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 01:02 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,398
Default

Originally Posted by SWF Pontoon Angler View Post
Where do you think those boats got the Idea for their pontoons?
Fiberglass cat hulls for open waters were around long before cheap built metal poontnon boats.
Neuner likes this.
Jeepman is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 01:33 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,601
Default

To the OP's question, I asked the same a few years ago when I saw a toon out on a flat calm day off the beach on Siesta key. Not knowing the waters I thought all it would take is a change in weather for their world to crumble.

Can you take one out on a nice calm day, stay within ranger (a few miles) of the inlet and be safe, yes. But it's not something I'd want to be doing too often or ever plan on doing because the wind may just keep you inside and if your foolish enough to figure once you make it through the inlet that the ocean will be calm enough you are just that, foolish.

Buy the toon and remain in the bay, if you must go out on that rare occasion, do so, but do so with the utmost amount of caution.

I wonder if the Coast Guard can ring you up for unsafe operation of a craft?

In short, get the boat that's made for open water if that's what you intend doing.
Neuner and JBS like this.
YFMF is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 05:13 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,381
Default

These Guys went from Clearwater to Cuba. You do need to be properly equipped though. Big difference between grandpas old 2 tube Sun Tracker and the high end tri-toons they are building now.

Lookinup76 is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 07:15 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 2,548
Default

Originally Posted by Lookinup76 View Post
These Guys went from Clearwater to Cuba. You do need to be properly equipped though. Big difference between grandpas old 2 tube Sun Tracker and the high end tri-toons they are building now.
Thanks for posting that link. I watched all the episodes and it was well produced with nice onboard video and sound. I know it's mostly an ad for the boat, but it was very informative also. I wonder what happened to episodes 7 and 8 in Cuba? Also their estimates of the wave height coming back to Marco Island seems too high (10-11 feet max really?). They jammed the boat into a "rogue" wave and flooded it temporarily which resulted in an electrical failure, so they abandoned the rest of the trip back to Clearwater. And why couldn't they run from Key West to Cuba on a tank of fuel without having to use extra cans to refill the tank midway? That would make the max range under 110 miles. Still, it was very worth watching it all.
GaryDoug is online now  
Old 10-20-2018, 07:28 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,381
Default

Originally Posted by GaryDoug View Post
Thanks for posting that link. I watched all the episodes and it was well produced with nice onboard video and sound. I know it's mostly an ad for the boat, but it was very informative also. I wonder what happened to episodes 7 and 8 in Cuba? Also their estimates of the wave height coming back to Marco Island seems too high (10-11 feet max really?). They jammed the boat into a "rogue" wave and flooded it temporarily which resulted in an electrical failure, so they abandoned the rest of the trip back to Clearwater. And why couldn't they run from Key West to Cuba on a tank of fuel without having to use extra cans to refill the tank midway? That would make the max range under 110 miles. Still, it was very worth watching it all.
I think, if I heard right that they wanted to avoid using the Cuba gas if possible so they filled their tank with the known good gas and put cuba gas in the jugs for backup.
I hadn't noticed 7 and 8 missing, I wonder if it's due to something political in Cuba?
Someone else posted it last week on a different toon thread so I can't take any credit.
Lookinup76 is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 07:37 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 2,548
Default

Originally Posted by Lookinup76 View Post
I think, if I heard right that they wanted to avoid using the Cuba gas if possible so they filled their tank with the known good gas and put cuba gas in the jugs for backup.
I hadn't noticed 7 and 8 missing, I wonder if it's due to something political in Cuba?
Someone else posted it last week on a different toon thread so I can't take any credit.
.

I think I get it now. They manually refilled the tank on the way to Cuba with known good fuel in cans from Key West even though they could make it without it. Then bought Cuban gas for the extra cans but didn't use that. They just did not explain that strategy in the video I guess. Makes the range much greater then.
GaryDoug is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread