Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Interlux VC Performance Epoxy Paint

Notices
Like Tree1Likes

Interlux VC Performance Epoxy Paint

Old 10-17-2018, 08:28 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 1,113
Default Interlux VC Performance Epoxy Paint

Hey guys, wanted to strip the bottom paint off my boat, but have realized it was put on well and will not come off without a fight. Now I am considering having it stripped using something like Farrow System and repainting it with Interlux VC. The boat will be kept on a lift.
I could use some feedback from either the folks at Interlux or someone that has actually used it

Did you have to put anything underneath it?
How did you apply it?
How many coats?
How does it work?
How does it look?


Current bottom is clean, but is going to be tough to get off. The grey is the epoxy barrier coat showing thru.
RTime is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:45 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 4,974
Default

Bottom paint looks clean and in good condition. Might consider painting with white bottom paint since the main improvement it seems like you will get is cosmetic. It won't look as good as VC, but there some aesthetic value to the multiple $$boat units that will stay in your wallet.
Texas 17 is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:49 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,054
Default

I put VC performance on my boat, has not hit the water. I sprayed 2 or 3 coats can't remember. Nice to work with, easy paint application, particularly because there's no pressure to have a perfect finish. I put Alexseal epoxy primers underneath, but it's a new build so you should follow interluxs' technical data sheet for primers. The paint as sprayed results in a semigloss finish that is fine. I chose to burnish the finish to more gloss like shine. It looks very nice.
smccormick is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:52 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 1,113
Default

Originally Posted by Texas 17 View Post
Bottom paint looks clean and in good condition. Might consider painting with white bottom paint since the main improvement it seems like you will get is cosmetic. It won't look as good as VC, but there some aesthetic value to the multiple $$boat units that will stay in your wallet.
That is a thought, do you think could you paint something like Petit Vivid White right over that?
RTime is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:54 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 1,113
Default

Originally Posted by smccormick View Post
I put VC performance on my boat, has not hit the water. I sprayed 2 or 3 coats can't remember. Nice to work with, easy paint application, particularly because there's no pressure to have a perfect finish. I put Alexseal epoxy primers underneath, but it's a new build so you should follow interluxs' technical data sheet for primers. The paint as sprayed results in a semigloss finish that is fine. I chose to burnish the finish to more gloss like shine. It looks very nice.
Thanks for the feedback
​​​​​​​So this is being painted on a new hull?
I would like to see a couple pics if you can post them
RTime is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 09:01 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,798
Default

3 Coats applied with a roller. I just sanded the original white gelcoat, no primer was used. I followed the instructions Interlux gave and had no issues. It hardens like gelcoat and I think it'll last a very long time. I would use it again on my next project

Name:  plJVvK0.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  339.2 KB
305seahunter is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 09:04 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 1,113
Default

Thanks, it looks great
It sure would be nice to be able to flip the boat over and work on it...
RTime is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 09:25 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
Default

I put on my 377 as well, had the old bottom paint soda blasted and then they just rolled it, came out nice and I gained a bit on MPG....I recommend it.
LBM1 is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 01:27 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 1,113
Default 377

Originally Posted by LBM1 View Post
I put on my 377 as well, had the old bottom paint soda blasted and then they just rolled it, came out nice and I gained a bit on MPG....I recommend it.
Thanks for feedback, good to hear
Did you have to fair (sand and patch) the bottom after soda blasting?
Where did you have that done?
Do you remember who did it?
RTime is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 01:31 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
Default

Originally Posted by RTime View Post
Thanks for feedback, good to hear
Did you have to fair (sand and patch) the bottom after soda blasting?
Where did you have that done?
Do you remember who did it?


Steve at blackpoint marina did it, I think they just painted it after the soda blasting...I don't think they sanded but I could be wrong..
LBM1 is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 04:01 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,054
Default

Originally Posted by RTime View Post
Thanks for the feedback
So this is being painted on a new hull?
I would like to see a couple pics if you can post them
Here you go, post 213
​​​​​​​400 nitrile gloves down, Many more to go
smccormick is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 07:08 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 1,113
Default

Originally Posted by smccormick View Post
Wow, that is some impressive work. Beautiful boat.
Thanks for sharing
​​​​​​​Something about working on boats...
RTime is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 07:49 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Loxahatchee, FL
Posts: 136
Default

Did you guys that rolled it on tip it? Also, did you use any thinner?

Getting ready to put this stuff on too and any info helps.
th3umbra is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:43 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,002
Default


I stripped several layers of old bottom paint off of this Whaler with conventional dry sandblast (low pressure/fine media) and filled old holes and gouges with 3M polyester marine fairing compound. Rolled the Performance epoxy on without tipping but thinned it a bit with 2316N Interlux solvent to eliminate roller tracks, three coats. Cured with minor orange peel texture which tipping likely could have prevented.
Chaps is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:43 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 1,113
Default

Originally Posted by Chaps View Post

I stripped several layers of old bottom paint off of this Whaler with conventional dry sandblast (low pressure/fine media) and filled old holes and gouges with 3M polyester marine fairing compound. Rolled the Performance epoxy on without tipping but thinned it a bit with 2316N Interlux solvent to eliminate roller tracks, three coats. Cured with minor orange peel texture which tipping likely could have prevented.

Thanks, I think that looks good. For me it is the 5 foot test. If it looks good from 5 ft away then it is good enough for a 2005 boat...
That is definitely the material I am going to use. I will probably spray it. My biggest question no is what is the method to use to get the existing bottom paint off
It does not seem to be realistic to use a chemical stripper, but I do not want to have to refair the entire bottom if I use a sandblasting.
RTime is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 04:39 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 720
Default

They recommend sanding to 80 grit prior to application so i dont think you would be far off after media blast. Im getting ready to this as well and am curious as to how long guys are waiting between coats.
nevets is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 04:50 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,002
Default

Originally Posted by RTime View Post
. . . but I do not want to have to refair the entire bottom if I use a sandblasting.
Low pressure sandblasting (approx 40 psi) and very fine media (typically crushed bottle glass) will effectively remove old bottom paint without eroding gel coat if performed by an experienced hand using professional equipment.
Chaps is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 05:22 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,798
Default

Originally Posted by nevets View Post
They recommend sanding to 80 grit prior to application so i dont think you would be far off after media blast. Im getting ready to this as well and am curious as to how long guys are waiting between coats.
The instructions say 24 hours. But I think I did like 12 hours and 3 coats. I painted in the middle of summer so it dried quick.

They also say you may need to sand after but I didn't have to, has a slight orange peel texture but they say that helps performance.
305seahunter is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 05:54 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Tequesta, Fl
Posts: 143
Default

I did 3 coats on mine (rolled), waited about 12 hours between coats (also did it during summer), no primer just sanded off the old bottom paint. I thinned the last coat a little extra with the correct thinner as noted above and it came out with a nice semi gloss sheen. That was about 2 years ago and it still is holding up strong, any parts that sit in direct sunlight do get a little chalky though but not bad. My boat is old as hell also just fyi.


Makomyday25 is offline  
Old 10-21-2018, 06:22 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 1,113
Default

Thanks guys! I have a plan. I am a couple weeks out, but will post some before and after on the thread when I am done.
Seems like a topic that several people are interested in so keep the posts and pictures coming
RTime is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread