Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Yamaha Denied Warrany Claim For Cracked Cowlings!

Notices
Like Tree53Likes

Yamaha Denied Warrany Claim For Cracked Cowlings!

Old 10-02-2018, 06:08 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 42
Default Yamaha Denied Warrany Claim For Cracked Cowlings!

I have twin Yamaha F300s that were brand new in October 2017. In August, each motor developed a crack on the port side of its cowling between the “M” and the “A” in Yamaha. Yamaha denied the warranty and claimed that the motors were impacted. The motors were never hit or impacted. Plus, due to the location, it’s be impossible to hit the same spot on both motors. Anyone else dealt with this... Yamaha’s warranty department stinks! Both motors, same crack location, wear on inside of both cowlings in same place from rubber spacer...


jadad is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:10 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: West Palm
Posts: 170
Default

Painted by Yamaha?
Gatorzone19 is online now  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:15 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Eh?
Posts: 1,457
Default

Can it hit the side of the Eurotransom when tilted?
Looks like that to me. Then again, maybe a reflection.
Are there soft covers on the motors for storage?
SeaPro48 likes this.
Blazer7420 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:21 PM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 42
Default

Originally Posted by Blazer7420 View Post
Can it hit the side of the Eurotransom when tilted?
Looks like that to me. Then again, maybe a reflection.
Are there soft covers on the motors for storage?
That’s just a reflection. Plus, have the same crack on both motors... Saw the cracks after ran back from Bimini. No covers on the motors.
jadad is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:28 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 9,821
Default

The probability of one Yamaha having a defective cowling is very low.

The probability of two Yamaha's having a defective cowling is very, very low.

The probability of two Yamaha's having defective cowlings at the same time, in the same general area, is all but impossible.

A crack in a cowling due to a manufacturing or materials defect would be very small if discovered soon after the crack began. The size of the cracks as seen in the photographs would lead anyone experienced in fiberglass defects and external damage to believe the latter is the situation. Looks like an insurance claim to me.
Miss Trial likes this.
alloyboy is online now  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:33 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Eh?
Posts: 1,457
Default

Have you looked on the inside of the cowling? Is it cracked all the way through? Can you see where it has hit the engine?
Is it possible the primer and paint has cracked? Who painted the cowlings?
Blazer7420 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:37 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,352
Default

Do you have pics of the front and rear of both cowlings?
pstephens46 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:37 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: West Palm
Posts: 170
Default

The engines were new last year but did you buy them used?
Gatorzone19 is online now  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:49 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 42
Default

Engines are brand new. Looks like the port side spacer caused the cracks.
jadad is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:54 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,382
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
The probability of one Yamaha having a defective cowling is very low.

The probability of two Yamaha's having a defective cowling is very, very low.

The probability of two Yamaha's having defective cowlings at the same time, in the same general area, is all but impossible.

A crack in a cowling due to a manufacturing or materials defect would be very small if discovered soon after the crack began. The size of the cracks as seen in the photographs would lead anyone experienced in fiberglass defects and external damage to believe the latter is the situation. Looks like an insurance claim to me.
It would seem equally odd to me that an impact could affect each motor in THAT location at the same time. I would think the inboard side of the affected engine would be very well protected. If it was impact damage, wouldn't there be a sign of impact other than a crack? Kinda like when a rack cracks a car windshield, the rock leaves an impact mark.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 07:00 PM
  #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 42
Default

You can’t crack both motors in the same place, Bc when the motors are turned, one protects the other... Plus, there’s no sign of impact... oh, and the motors were painted by/for the boat manufacturer.
jadad is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 07:09 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,339
Default

Not surprised by Yamaha thus my choice for new power; Mercury.
Badbagger is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: West Palm
Posts: 170
Default

Originally Posted by jadad View Post
You can’t crack both motors in the same place, Bc when the motors are turned, one protects the other... Plus, there’s no sign of impact... oh, and the motors were painted by/for the boat manufacturer.
I would go to the boat manufacturer or whoever serviced the engines last. That doesnt just happen
Gatorzone19 is online now  
Old 10-02-2018, 08:54 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,807
Default

Originally Posted by jadad View Post
You can’t crack both motors in the same place, Bc when the motors are turned, one protects the other... Plus, there’s no sign of impact... oh, and the motors were painted by/for the boat manufacturer.
It looks like someone made a mistake.

I would call and ask to speak to the person in charge. Where did the engines come from? The dealer and if a new boat, the manufacturer should be saving you this grief.
Time Machine is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 12:31 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 187
Default

Is that bondo around the crack - maybe the dealer cracked them and repainted them to disguise the accident.
AverageJoe likes this.
DaveHNL is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 12:51 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 1,565
Default

I swear there was a thread a few months ago with a Yamaha cowling that cracked in the same exact location.
Adam9066 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 03:07 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Parker Yacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 7,444
Default

OP, I am sorry for your situation.
Couple of things to look at and understand, then lets see if we can get this figured out.
1) We have serviced literally hundreds of these through the years, and in that time, I have never seen an F300 with twins and two cracks like that, and we do singles, twins, trips, quads. I have three on my own boat, never seen the issue.
2) Those motors where painted by someone other than Yamaha, so, Yamaha COULD take the stance they have been modified. COULD. If that's the case, go to the boat manufacturer.
OK. Something made them crack, they didn't just do it on their own. Getting in the boat? From a ladder or dock? Lines across the stern? Could another boat have hit them. And yes, I know one is on the inside of the stb engine, but cowlings can get swapped.
The cowlings fit "snuggley", however, you don't "push" them down, they "fall" into place. Do these have to be pushed down?
OK, so say, they are "defective", couple of things to understand.
1) Since the Yamaha dealer has run out of options, it's up you and the boat manufacturer to prove it to Yamaha. Take good pictures, of the cowling, and where it hits on the engine, and not close ups, take some where you can see where everything is. There is no "spacer", so see where it is hitting on the engine. You can email the pictures to me. oparker@parkeryacht.com I will go out to my engines and see what is possible it's hitting.
2) IF Yamaha gives you cowlings, they will be GREY, getting them white will be on you or the boat manufacturer, along with those decals.
Where are you located, maybe I can look at them for you, if I can't, I will do what I can to assist from here.
Yamaha isn't perfect, but if you show them something and can prove it, they do come around. Knock on wood, we have never had a claim rejected, and some are FAR out of warranty, and some certainly are not Yamaha's fault, you just have to supply them with the documentation they require.
Parker Yacht is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 03:17 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia Beach Va
Posts: 1,763
Default

Wee the cowlings swapped from one engine to the other ?
mfix is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 03:24 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 95
Default

Do you store the boat at a marina were they use a fork lift? Your cracks are in the same location as mine, my marina pulled my boat back to hard and it hit the fork lift enough to crack both my cowlings.

Just a thought.
baiterjoe is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 03:37 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,352
Default

Originally Posted by Parker Yacht View Post
OP, I am sorry for your situation.
Couple of things to look at and understand, then lets see if we can get this figured out.
1) We have serviced literally hundreds of these through the years, and in that time, I have never seen an F300 with twins and two cracks like that, and we do singles, twins, trips, quads. I have three on my own boat, never seen the issue.
2) Those motors where painted by someone other than Yamaha, so, Yamaha COULD take the stance they have been modified. COULD. If that's the case, go to the boat manufacturer.
OK. Something made them crack, they didn't just do it on their own. Getting in the boat? From a ladder or dock? Lines across the stern? Could another boat have hit them. And yes, I know one is on the inside of the stb engine, but cowlings can get swapped.
The cowlings fit "snuggley", however, you don't "push" them down, they "fall" into place. Do these have to be pushed down?
OK, so say, they are "defective", couple of things to understand.
1) Since the Yamaha dealer has run out of options, it's up you and the boat manufacturer to prove it to Yamaha. Take good pictures, of the cowling, and where it hits on the engine, and not close ups, take some where you can see where everything is. There is no "spacer", so see where it is hitting on the engine. You can email the pictures to me. oparker@parkeryacht.com I will go out to my engines and see what is possible it's hitting.
2) IF Yamaha gives you cowlings, they will be GREY, getting them white will be on you or the boat manufacturer, along with those decals.
Where are you located, maybe I can look at them for you, if I can't, I will do what I can to assist from here.
Yamaha isn't perfect, but if you show them something and can prove it, they do come around. Knock on wood, we have never had a claim rejected, and some are FAR out of warranty, and some certainly are not Yamaha's fault, you just have to supply them with the documentation they require.
How bout pics of inside of cowling too? Latch hardware etc.
pstephens46 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread