Notices
The Boating Forum

Snow load

Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow load

Hello,
I am trying to come up with a solution to covering my boat and keeping it a couple hours away from home in the Adirondacks. The boat is a 17 ft aluminum open bow. I have a very good quality snap cover with supports. The cover always holds up well with a foot of snow or so, but Iíve had it at home where I can brush it off. I would prefer to keep it at camp, so Iím trying to find solutions to keeping the snow from collapsing the cover. Brushing it off wonít be an option. I have been thinking about building a frame and tarp at a steep angle so the snow slides off, I would like to build this over the snap cover. Any ideas for frames? It would have to be outside the boat, as I would like to keep the snap cover on it in case the tarp fails. Iíd like to keep it fairly simple and temporary, as it will be in a new barn starting next season. I am considering shrink wrapping, but Iím just exploring this first. Thanks for any input or ideas.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:43 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 16,106
Received 1,320 Likes on 995 Posts
Default

This should give you a good idea. I know it's for a pool but the idea should work for your boat

Old 09-24-2018, 05:04 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 972
Received 618 Likes on 362 Posts
Default

Maybe one of those pop up carports? When I was in Ohio I always kept min under a farmers leantoo, for winter. It didn't keep it all off, but I never had a cover failure. I did have to use a couple of boxed of moth balls to keep the mice out though....
Old 09-24-2018, 05:15 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 249
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

I store my boat up in NH outside in the winter. What I did is just build a tall wooden frame, and it keeps the snow off because the angle from the top of the frame to the edge of the hull is very steep. I don't have pictures, but it's basically just two Y-shaped braces in the front and back with a long 2x4 running between them (which is screwed into the top of each of the Y braces). I also drilled holes in the end of the top board and put rope through them, which is tied to each end of the hull (so that it doesn't sway at all). Then I just have a tarp over the frame which is bungeed to the trailer. I'm also going to install a couple of snap fasteners near the front where there is some slack. But otherwise, there's no way snow will build up on it.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:13 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rejesterd View Post
I store my boat up in NH outside in the winter. What I did is just build a tall wooden frame, and it keeps the snow off because the angle from the top of the frame to the edge of the hull is very steep. I don't have pictures, but it's basically just two Y-shaped braces in the front and back with a long 2x4 running between them (which is screwed into the top of each of the Y braces). I also drilled holes in the end of the top board and put rope through them, which is tied to each end of the hull (so that it doesn't sway at all). Then I just have a tarp over the frame which is bungeed to the trailer. I'm also going to install a couple of snap fasteners near the front where there is some slack. But otherwise, there's no way snow will build up on it.

Thanks,

I have thought about that and the concept is simple enough. Would you trust it to leave it for a few months and come back to it fully in tact? My concern is the wind catching it and ripping it up. Thatís why I was thinking tarp over snap cover for back up. The problem is framing outside the boat. Does yours need much adjustment over the winter?
Old 09-24-2018, 06:15 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EMC Pursuit View Post
Maybe one of those pop up carports? When I was in Ohio I always kept min under a farmers leantoo, for winter. It didn't keep it all off, but I never had a cover failure. I did have to use a couple of boxed of moth balls to keep the mice out though....

Iíve looked into those, but could probably shrink wrap for same or less. Also, I only need for just this season.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 972
Received 618 Likes on 362 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jhren123 View Post



Iíve looked into those, but could probably shrink wrap for same or less. Also, I only need for just this season.
If you only need it for one year I would spring for the shrink wrap. I have had a $900 custom cover pop the snaps and let it all into one of my boats. I know the concerns. I did it for 20 years before I got smart and moved away from snow. Now I laugh at the West Marine adds for Winterizing!
Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 604
Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

String a rope or cable between two trees and drape the tarp over that..
Likes:
Old 09-24-2018, 06:56 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jvitiel View Post
String a rope or cable between two trees and drape the tarp over that..

I really like like this idea. Has anybody done this? It would obviously shed the snow. I could tie down to the bottom of trailer, any thoughts on wind? Again, I wonít be there if anything happens.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:10 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Martin County Florida formerly Palm Beach County
Posts: 11,798
Received 2,603 Likes on 1,482 Posts
Default

Carport Is cheap
Old 09-24-2018, 09:46 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 114
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

With the amount of snow that's possible in the Adirondacks, shrink wrap is worth the piece of mind. Plus most tarps sold now in stores will not survive the winds in the Adirondacks for the
entire winter if they flap at all.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:20 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 249
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jhren123 View Post
Would you trust it to leave it for a few months and come back to it fully in tact? My concern is the wind catching it and ripping it up. That’s why I was thinking tarp over snap cover for back up. The problem is framing outside the boat. Does yours need much adjustment over the winter?
I leave it from October to May untouched (because I live 2 hours away). No adjustments are needed. If it's bungeed tight enough, the only wind I'd worry about is a wind strong enough to lift up 2 heavy wooden braces to snap the bungees.

If you just put your normal cover on then a tarp on over that, you will probably get snow buildup on it.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:34 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tuckerton Beach, N.J.
Posts: 1,087
Likes: 0
Received 165 Likes on 91 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jhren123 View Post



I really like like this idea. Has anybody done this? It would obviously shed the snow. I could tie down to the bottom of trailer, any thoughts on wind? Again, I wonít be there if anything happens.

This is the way to go. Don't tie down to the trailer, wind will get underneath the tarp and it won't last long. Make sure the tarp is big enough to get it to the ground and then make sure it is covered well with concrete blocks or logs or something heavy that will not let any wind get underneath it. Make sure the tarp is big enough so you can wrap it around the bow and stern just like a tee pee.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:31 AM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Saginaw Bay
Posts: 29
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Before I started shrink wrapping my boat, I used to use three saw horses (one on the bow, one in the middle and one at the transom) and 2x4's cut to length. I would have them just slightly higher than my walk through windshield. Then I would run a 2x4 length wise from my bow to that front of my motor.

Just drape a blue tarp over the 2x4 and bungee cord to tie it off. Had about $50-60 into it every winter.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:19 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 16,593
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,853 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jhren123 View Post
Hello,
I am trying to come up with a solution to covering my boat and keeping it a couple hours away from home in the Adirondacks. The boat is a 17 ft aluminum open bow. I have a very good quality snap cover with supports. The cover always holds up well with a foot of snow or so, but Iíve had it at home where I can brush it off. I would prefer to keep it at camp, so Iím trying to find solutions to keeping the snow from collapsing the cover. Brushing it off wonít be an option. I have been thinking about building a frame and tarp at a steep angle so the snow slides off, I would like to build this over the snap cover. Any ideas for frames? It would have to be outside the boat, as I would like to keep the snap cover on it in case the tarp fails. Iíd like to keep it fairly simple and temporary, as it will be in a new barn starting next season. I am considering shrink wrapping, but Iím just exploring this first. Thanks for any input or ideas.
get a cover that you can secure to the trailer or tie around the bottom of the boat, make sure there are good angles so everything can drain off and not pool (you may need to add some poles)

or

build a simple frame from wood and shrink wrap. should be easy and cheap for a small boat
Old 09-25-2018, 09:08 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 249
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
get a cover that you can secure to the trailer or tie around the bottom of the boat, make sure there are good angles so everything can drain off and not pool (you may need to add some poles)

or

build a simple frame from wood and shrink wrap. should be easy and cheap for a small boat
Do you shrink wrap it yourself? Just curious, because the reason I haven't done this is because I figured the cost of renting the heat gun would be too high. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:19 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Posts: 113
Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Take the motor off and flip it over. on to three blocks of wood. Couldn't be easier,
Old 09-25-2018, 09:37 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 16,593
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,853 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rejesterd View Post
Do you shrink wrap it yourself? Just curious, because the reason I haven't done this is because I figured the cost of renting the heat gun would be too high. Thanks.
buy it will pay for itself in no time
Old 09-25-2018, 09:38 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Southeast Ct.
Posts: 1,074
Received 2,024 Likes on 985 Posts
Default

I’ve been storing my lake boat on upper saranac for years, a 20’ 2x6 with 2x4 x supports at each end then a tarp over it tightly secured over the sides.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.