Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

New motor got hit at ramp. Opinions needed.

Notices
Like Tree23Likes

New motor got hit at ramp. Opinions needed.

Reply

Old 07-28-2018, 12:27 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 924
Default New motor got hit at ramp. Opinions needed.

Unfortunately my new suzuki port side motor with 20 hours on them got hit and damaged the skeg and messed up my hydraulic steering ram which is very loose as well. If was a pretty good hit from an empty trailer that was being towed out after he launched. The tip of the skeg is broken off and it is bent as well. Made the boat steer terrible and it felt like it was skating on the water if that makes since. Anyways my issue is since I've literally had the motors a month what would your opinion be on repairing the skeg, if even possible, vs getting a new lower unit housing. I obviously want a new lower unit as the motors are new and I don't want the integrity of the skeg compromised or have any warranty issues if something does happen in the future. The guy had insurance so it will be handled but it still sucks. Going to take it into the dealer and get a quote and see whats going on. Just curious what other have to say and what you think would be a good course of action.



Last edited by wizness; 07-28-2018 at 02:10 PM.
wizness is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:29 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 514
Default

New
DestinBillMe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:32 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fla / Curacao / WA
Posts: 4,174
Default

A good shop should be able to fix that, realign motors, no problem. Move on with life.

edit, have the prop scanned and a dial gauge check done on the shaft as well. My money is on a small bend in the prop shaft.
v12mac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:39 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,240
Default

If your motors had 1,200 hours on them I'd say fix it but your motors are brand spanking new and the accident wasn't your fault. New lower unit and move on with life.
tarpononecharter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:39 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 4,589
Default

Itís understandable to want a new lower unit, but unless there is more damage than visible there I would get used to the idea that you wonít. Get it checked out well, but bending, welding, and paint will probably be all you need and get.
Texas 17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:45 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 924
Default

The prop was obviously hit as well as there were chunks of aluminum from his trailer on it. Will be interesting to see how insurance proceeds. I just don't want to be denied warranty or something if it's repaired. I'm assuming they couldn't deny it for future issues but I'm not sure.
wizness is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:47 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boynton Beach, Fl
Posts: 1,181
Default

Man, that sucks.

I would be pushing for a new LU or LU housing. I'm sure your dealer would agree.
CalicoJack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:50 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Panama City, Fl
Posts: 338
Default

Because it's an insurance claim they will want the cheapest route and in all likelihood that means a repair. While that is a bummer you may be better off. I'm just wondering what the lead time is on a new lower?

One other thing is maybe take their repair (quote) money and pay the difference for a new lower and buy it. Yes, that sucks too but I've gone that route before.
N2boats is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:51 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sienna Plantation, TX.
Posts: 1,509
Default

Other guy's fault. Let the insurance work it out and get what you can out of it. Looks like your skeg got bent which could be a contributing factor to your steering issues.
popeyeiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:40 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,082
Default

I don't see much there that should be affecting steering. It's possible you're seeing ghosts because you're aware of the damage but I would be looking at whatever is tying the two motors together.

If you're really feeling steering issues something's not right and that skeg isn't it.
textured captain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:42 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 924
Default

Originally Posted by textured captain View Post
I don't see much there that should be affecting steering. It's possible you're seeing ghosts because you're aware of the damage but I would be looking at whatever is tying the two motors together.

If you're really feeling steering issues something's not right and that skeg isn't it.
the hydraulic steering ram is loose as well after the hit. I'm sure that's contributing to it as well. The motors have a liquid tie bar so there is play in the port motor from the loose ram. Slower speeds wasnt noticeable but when on plane you couldn't miss it.
wizness is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:58 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 165
Default

Take your boat to a shop and get a quote on how you want your boat fixed. When you speak with the other guys insurance company send them the quote. If the quote isnít too high you stand a good chance of the insurance company just paying it.
wstanford277 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:59 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: westchester ny
Posts: 2,669
Default

No way that keg is causing steering issues.
Saltybrad and Double tyme like this.
phillipgo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:03 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 28
Default

New lower
Mark565 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:33 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port St. Lucie FL
Posts: 745
Default

Originally Posted by phillipgo View Post
No way that keg is causing steering issues.
I beg to differ. A keg can for sure affect steering. A skeg on the other hand, would probably not affect much with that degree of warpage.

Chuck
FastAttack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:55 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jax FL
Posts: 1,085
Default

I'd be more worried about a bent shaft. Given the age of the engine and the obvious bone head move it's a new foot and warranty equal to your new engine. Make yourself whole. His mistake, he has to pay.

You had a brand new engine with warranty. You need to have no less anything when this is done.

It's not like you are asking for a new engine. If you don't get it replaced your warranty for these parts is gone.
jcassara and rickpcfl like this.
Jumpsummo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:25 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,082
Default

Originally Posted by wizness View Post
the hydraulic steering ram is loose as well after the hit. I'm sure that's contributing to it as well. The motors have a liquid tie bar so there is play in the port motor from the loose ram. Slower speeds wasnt noticeable but when on plane you couldn't miss it.
that is for sure the issue.
mikeloew likes this.
textured captain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:34 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 109
Default

Originally Posted by Jumpsummo View Post
I'd be more worried about a bent shaft. Given the age of the engine and the obvious bone head move it's a new foot and warranty equal to your new engine. Make yourself whole. His mistake, he has to pay.

You had a brand new engine with warranty. You need to have no less anything when this is done.

It's not like you are asking for a new engine. If you don't get it replaced your warranty for these parts is gone.
I work as a catastrophe insurance adjuster for property (homes). My goal is to make them whole and put the house in equal or better condition than it was the day before the storm. As you said - simply repairing this would not restore him. For something like this, the cost to do it properly is probably not that much greater than repairing it.

OP - Make your case that there will be diminished value if you try to sell it and that the damage could result in catastrophic failure down the road. If they push to have it repaired, ask them to provide the name of a repair shop that will provide the same warranty on the repairs as the manufacturer would provide without the damage.
Bayfly, snagged line and N2boats like this.
rickpcfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:58 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 924
Default

Originally Posted by rickpcfl View Post
I work as a catastrophe insurance adjuster for property (homes). My goal is to make them whole and put the house in equal or better condition than it was the day before the storm. As you said - simply repairing this would not restore him. For something like this, the cost to do it properly is probably not that much greater than repairing it.

OP - Make your case that there will be diminished value if you try to sell it and that the damage could result in catastrophic failure down the road. If they push to have it repaired, ask them to provide the name of a repair shop that will provide the same warranty on the repairs as the manufacturer would provide without the damage.
thanks. I contacted my insurance (charter lakes) and they said to take it to my repair shop I want. I'm going to go to my dealer I bought the motors from since they know my boat and how it was before. My insurance said they will also contact the at fault parties insurance as well to get it covered.
N2boats likes this.
wizness is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:13 PM
  #20  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,249
Default

Agree something is wrong with that tie-bar, I also see a slight bend in the skeg for the angle you provided.
mikeloew is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: