Notices
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By noelm

Engine issues

Old 07-17-2018, 06:02 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Default Engine issues

hoping someone has suggestions. Have 98 Mercury 150 off shore. Yesterday took out fishing ran perfectly got home flushing engine again no issues. As flushing ran out of gas. Tried to start back up finally ran battery down. This morning put charger on battery started engine in driveway all seemed fine , took and put boat in water started engine and sounded terrible. Any ideas? Someone told me to change water separator probably caused by running gas tank dry someone else told me engine blown. That doesn’t make sense since engine ran fine till ran out of gas
mcawthon is offline  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:05 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,091
Default

By running out of gas assume you emptied the tank. You might have sucked water up from the bottom of the tank. Fresh fuel and change water separator.
duke460 is offline  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:11 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW coast~!
Posts: 2,302
Default

You could block off the fuel line completely and spray carb cleaner into the throttle. It should start and run. b/c carb cleaner is already atomized, it should run pretty smoothly. This is one of several methods I use to isolate fuel issues from other issues when diagnosing these types of problems.
makonnen is offline  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:45 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,041
Default

I suspect duke460 is on to it. Drain your water separator into a glass container and see how it looks. water from the bottom of the tank or a load of sediment could cause what you have. Is the engine carb'd or EFI? You may have some fuel system maintenance in your immediate future.
Aliboy is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Default

I just bought a brand new Tracker boat from Bass Pro In Danio Beach Florida that has a 115 Mercury Pro engine. Long story short, Bass Pro was short on staff and the boat was supposed to be ready for the last two weeks. Day of delivery, not ready, totally dirty, manager short on time and two other mechanics not working. Fly by night briefing, we took the boat! 2 hours in and broke in the engine the proper way, my 78 year old relative, slowed down and placed boat in reverse causing what Bass Pro And Mercury call a panic break! Seized engine! Was it an accident, Yes! We were never told that slowing down the boat in a wake can damage the engine! So we tried Mercury, Tracker to assist in this 2 hour boat! Their answer, Sorry we need $6700 for a new power head! Bass Pro Tracker of Mercury wouldn’t even try to assist or help us fix the boat at cost! So we have a brand new boat sitting at Bass Pro with no sense of helping out, just want to price gouge at our expense and to boot make money on us! I am going to let the entire USA know about this travisty! No more helping people out at the hands of greedy Bass Pro! PS sale guy was great!

Chew66 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:32 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 4,822
Default

What exactly does that have to do with this problem? if you need to have a crap, start another thread.
markd3682 likes this.
noelm is online now  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:58 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Metairie LA
Posts: 170
Default

This doesn't seem relevant to this problem, maybe a new thread would be warranted.

Originally Posted by Chew66 View Post
I just bought a brand new Tracker boat from Bass Pro In Danio Beach Florida that has a 115 Mercury Pro engine. Long story short, Bass Pro was short on staff and the boat was supposed to be ready for the last two weeks. Day of delivery, not ready, totally dirty, manager short on time and two other mechanics not working. Fly by night briefing, we took the boat! 2 hours in and broke in the engine the proper way, my 78 year old relative, slowed down and placed boat in reverse causing what Bass Pro And Mercury call a panic break! Seized engine! Was it an accident, Yes! We were never told that slowing down the boat in a wake can damage the engine! So we tried Mercury, Tracker to assist in this 2 hour boat! Their answer, Sorry we need $6700 for a new power head! Bass Pro Tracker of Mercury wouldn’t even try to assist or help us fix the boat at cost! So we have a brand new boat sitting at Bass Pro with no sense of helping out, just want to price gouge at our expense and to boot make money on us! I am going to let the entire USA know about this travisty! No more helping people out at the hands of greedy Bass Pro! PS sale guy was great!

mauricetrosclair is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:29 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Default

New to the site, thought it had engine trouble with a Mercury motor! Gotcha keyboard smart guy! Will do!
Chew66 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,189
Default

Originally Posted by Chew66 View Post
New to the site, thought it had engine trouble with a Mercury motor! Gotcha keyboard smart guy! Will do!
Everybody just so...angry these days.
BOSBoatMan is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:55 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 4,822
Default

Originally Posted by Chew66 View Post
New to the site, thought it had engine trouble with a Mercury motor! Gotcha keyboard smart guy! Will do!
no ones being a smart guy, but, latching on to someone else's thread just confuses things, people start answering two things at once, start a new thread, rant and rave all you like.
noelm is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 02:07 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Back in suzhou in China again
Posts: 3,578
Default never suck a tank dry !

Originally Posted by duke460 View Post
By running out of gas assume you emptied the tank. You might have sucked water up from the bottom of the tank. Fresh fuel and change water separator.
All the rubbish settles in the bottom of a fuel tank so you possible sucked its into the lines and filters etc !Most fuel pick ups should leave about 3/4 of a inch of sludge and fuel in the bottom !! also the bottom of a tank should be angled slightly to one side so it all ends up on the lowest side !! Really good proper professional built tanks always have a sludge trap built in the low end /side with a drain plug !!
tunnles is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 12:30 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East Falmouth
Posts: 496
Default

It's a 2018 thread that someone revived because they were having a different problem with their boat. Duke460 might not answer you
markd3682 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread