Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Cat Build Thread: Eastward Boats presents the “Wild Knights”

Notices
The Boating Forum

Cat Build Thread: Eastward Boats presents the “Wild Knights”

Old 09-14-2018, 09:29 AM
  #141  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jax FL
Posts: 2,743
Likes: 0
Received 784 Likes on 535 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lovey80 View Post
I Am wondering if anyone has ever done integral gas tanks in a boat like this? I mean using a composite material with fuel resistant resins to make the fuel tank from the bottom of the boat?
My experience with glass tanks on Motorcycles is HELL NO. I could see maybe glassing a stainless tank completely just for added strength but no way in hell I trust a glass tank.

The ONE change I want to see on marine fuel tanks is an added sump so you can drain the tank completely and get all water or bad gas out all the time. I understand the thought process of not having a drain but then not having a drain leads to more damage than the drain would cause.

OR have a sump inside the tank and the pickup from the top sucks from inside the sump. An extra 1/2" or 3/4" plug in the top over the sump would let you run a copper line to the bottom of the sump and suck it completely dry.
Likes:
Old 09-14-2018, 09:46 AM
  #142  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 386
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

That would be a great Idea on the sump pump system.....why isnt this already in place?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:48 AM
  #143  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 931
Likes: 0
Received 77 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jumpsummo View Post
I'm not one who likes crawling around on my knees. How about a couple sealed hatches on top for access to those holds. You could still have the side hatches but having a few square 5 gallon buckets in there you could remove things out from the top. Cast nets, extra lines etc. The side access means if it's not right by the access you have to unload to get the back gear. Difficult access usually means it's a graveyard or not used.
almost looks big enough to sleep in up there
Old 09-14-2018, 09:48 AM
  #144  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jax FL
Posts: 2,743
Likes: 0
Received 784 Likes on 535 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UCF View Post




Tanks went in yesterday. Also first coat of paint for the boxes and bilges.
Now that I've seen his under gunnel rod storage I think I'd just have insulated and sealed hatches for those 4 forward holds. Leave the holes so you could still put rids in there if need be.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 AM
  #145  
UCF
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Orlando & Key Colony Beach
Posts: 1,282
Received 346 Likes on 223 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jumpsummo View Post
I'm not one who likes crawling around on my knees. How about a couple sealed hatches on top for access to those holds. You could still have the side hatches but having a few square 5 gallon buckets in there you could remove things out from the top. Cast nets, extra lines etc. The side access means if it's not right by the access you have to unload to get the back gear. Difficult access usually means it's a graveyard or not used.




There isnt a recessed area on the top for the lids like the anchor locker lid. But I'm sure if it was really important to you, they could figure something out.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:06 AM
  #146  
UCF
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Orlando & Key Colony Beach
Posts: 1,282
Received 346 Likes on 223 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jumpsummo View Post
Now that I've seen his under gunnel rod storage I think I'd just have insulated and sealed hatches for those 4 forward holds. Leave the holes so you could still put rids in there if need be.
Yep. Maybe if I knew how good hull#1 looks with the under gunnel storage, I may have passed on rod storage in the boxes. But one thing is for sure, I'm going to have alot of storage. Lol
Likes:
Old 09-14-2018, 11:58 AM
  #147  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 378
Likes: 0
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UCF View Post
Oh, and its UCF, lol.
Haha fat fingers lol!
Old 09-15-2018, 06:42 AM
  #148  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 230
Received 81 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jumpsummo View Post
My experience with glass tanks on Motorcycles is HELL NO. I could see maybe glassing a stainless tank completely just for added strength but no way in hell I trust a glass tank.

The ONE change I want to see on marine fuel tanks is an added sump so you can drain the tank completely and get all water or bad gas out all the time. I understand the thought process of not having a drain but then not having a drain leads to more damage than the drain would cause.

OR have a sump inside the tank and the pickup from the top sucks from inside the sump. An extra 1/2" or 3/4" plug in the top over the sump would let you run a copper line to the bottom of the sump and suck it completely dry.
Since the early days of ethanol creating disasters with old style glass tanks I am certain they’ve begin using resins that are ethanol resistant for separate glass gas tanks. What I’m referring to is using the bottom of the boat’s shape to form an integral tank. With the “baffles” acting like extra bulk heads. I know they do it with steel and aluminium hulls but haven’t seen it done on a composite hull.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 AM
  #149  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern Most State in the US
Posts: 1,222
Received 210 Likes on 102 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Something like this
wait..

how come it’s not 600’ wide?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:01 AM
  #150  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,439
Received 728 Likes on 383 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lovey80 View Post
Since the early days of ethanol creating disasters with old style glass tanks I am certain they’ve begin using resins that are ethanol resistant for separate glass gas tanks. What I’m referring to is using the bottom of the boat’s shape to form an integral tank. With the “baffles” acting like extra bulk heads. I know they do it with steel and aluminium hulls but haven’t seen it done on a composite hull.
Regulations prohibit integral gasoline tanks. You can do it with diesel.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:00 PM
  #151  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 987
Received 84 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by smccormick View Post
Regulations prohibit integral gasoline tanks. You can do it with diesel.
Even then, I believe they are all double walled and sit in the hull.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:36 AM
  #152  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 378
Likes: 0
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Captain AL View Post
Even then, I believe they are all double walled and sit in the hull.
that makes sense, in case of a breached hull you don’t don’t want gas to empty out, there is probably less of a chance if it is double walled or in a tank.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:05 PM
  #153  
UCF
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Orlando & Key Colony Beach
Posts: 1,282
Received 346 Likes on 223 Posts
Default


Originally Posted by dekarate View Post
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...281e406211.jpg

Did not anticipate this front storage area. Would a 5 gallon bucket fit thru those hatches standing up?





Can probably fit at minimum (4) 5 gallon buckets on each side.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:08 PM
  #154  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 378
Likes: 0
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts
Default

That right there is awesome, I almost like the bulkhead hatch more than one on top as it lets you stay in the boat
Old 09-20-2018, 05:08 PM
  #155  
UCF
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Orlando & Key Colony Beach
Posts: 1,282
Received 346 Likes on 223 Posts
Default




Trying to show how much room is up front. Equal amount of room in the back. Mine is going to have a lounger/coffin box
Old 09-20-2018, 05:11 PM
  #156  
UCF
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Orlando & Key Colony Beach
Posts: 1,282
Received 346 Likes on 223 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Treble Maker View Post
That right there is awesome, I almost like the bulkhead hatch more than one on top as it lets you stay in the boat
Its alot of space. Easily 4 plus 5 gallons plus more storage in the front. Both left and right side of the anchor locker. It is more storage than I thought
Old 09-20-2018, 05:24 PM
  #157  
UCF
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Orlando & Key Colony Beach
Posts: 1,282
Received 346 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Its Alive!!!!!!!








Old 09-20-2018, 05:27 PM
  #158  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,783
Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts
Default

Wow, that thing is yuuuuuuge!
Old 09-20-2018, 05:28 PM
  #159  
UCF
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Orlando & Key Colony Beach
Posts: 1,282
Received 346 Likes on 223 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UCF View Post



Trying to show how much room is up front. Equal amount of room in the back. Mine is going to have a lounger/coffin box

Old 09-20-2018, 05:30 PM
  #160  
UCF
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Orlando & Key Colony Beach
Posts: 1,282
Received 346 Likes on 223 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acteg View Post
Wow, that thing is yuuuuuuge!
Thanks. It is hard to show the actual size in pictures. When I go out for a ride on hull #1 we should have 7 people or so. I'll have my brother bring his drone.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.