Notices
The Boating Forum

Vortex Binoculars, anyone?

Old 06-17-2018, 09:03 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vortex Binoculars, anyone?

Been doing a ton of research on marine binoculars. Seems like the consensus top two value options are Steiner Marine and Fujinon Polaris. Today I checked out some Vortex Diamondbacks and was pleasantly surprised.

Anyone here with Vortex binocular experience?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:08 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 317
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

There ok for chinese Glass I have a few of there scopes and a pair of binoculars. The scopes are very nice but the binoculars are just ok they do the job but the clarity could be much better.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:14 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by jbooker9 View Post
There ok for chinese Glass I have a few of there scopes and a pair of binoculars. The scopes are very nice but the binoculars are just ok they do the job but the clarity could be much better.
Thanks. By chance, have you used the Steiner or Fujinon? I am looking for an inshore binocular.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:34 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 104
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Man With Apple View Post
Been doing a ton of research on marine binoculars. Seems like the consensus top two value options are Steiner Marine and Fujinon Polaris. Today I checked out some Vortex Diamondbacks and was pleasantly surprised.

Anyone here with Vortex binocular experience?

Thanks in advance.
I use a lower end pair of their Raptor 10x30 for work (intelligence gathering). While I won't get any deeper into that I will say that they are great for that, they get the job done and I don't feel terrible about dropping them or leaving them in a hot car all day or getting bounced around in a bag. I also own a few Vortex optics that are mounted on some pretty substantial firearms. They are great options for those who are budget minded but don't want cheap crap. Clear glass, but you can always do better...depending on the size of your wallet.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:49 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by frosstyx View Post
I use a lower end pair of their Raptor 10x30 for work (intelligence gathering). While I won't get any deeper into that I will say that they are great for that, they get the job done and I don't feel terrible about dropping them or leaving them in a hot car all day or getting bounced around in a bag. I also own a few Vortex optics that are mounted on some pretty substantial firearms. They are great options for those who are budget minded but don't want cheap crap. Clear glass, but you can always do better...depending on the size of your wallet.
Thanks! I set a budget of ~$600. Certainly open to any suggestions. But from reading most seem to push toward Steiner or Fujinon.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:17 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 52
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Vortex is a great company but only avg optical quality. I owned the Vipers...sold em.

With a $600 budget.....Nikon makes a bino in that $400-500 price range thats pretty good.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:13 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jensen Beach. Fl
Posts: 1,281
Likes: 0
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

I have a vortex viper Only use for hunting and I’m impressed! Work very well and clear Not one problem in 3 seasons now I’ve only had cheap ones prior to this! Might be the reason I love them
Old 06-18-2018, 04:48 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,400
Received 471 Likes on 338 Posts
Default

I’ve got Steiner's with range finders etc, not cheap maybe paid about $750 but very high quality and pleased with them. They are the Steiner Commander.

Last edited by Badbagger; 06-18-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:42 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: See screen name
Posts: 5,924
Received 850 Likes on 533 Posts
Default

I've used a pair of the Fujinon Polaris with compass for 13 years, and a lot of use and abuse. Fantastic optics, great low light performance. Love those things. They are heavy. Defender puts them on sale every so often.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:27 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Lugoff, SC
Posts: 387
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I have a pair of the Vortex Diamondbacks 8x42's. I rec'd them for Christmas and I really really like them a lot. A buddy of mine rec'd a pair of Swarovski binos w/the build in range finder. We both went on a hunting trip in January, so I had a good bit of time to do a side by side daytime comparison of the two. Taking away the range finder, as much as I looked through both sets, at equal objects, I just could not see a difference in clarity. Now, I cannot say the Swarovskis will not have better light gathering capabilities at dawn or dusk, or won't last longer. But a side by side daytime comparison to me seemed pretty darn comparable. I just did not see the $2300 difference in them. That being said, I am sure there are guys on this and several hunting forums that glass over miles and miles of western plains and mountains that might argue differently; but to this layman, who uses binos rather regularly (particularly during hunting season), I just did not see an appreciable difference in the function of the Vortex Diamnondback and Swarovski binos.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:29 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 19
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

The Steiner warantee is the best. The wife bought me commanders with the compass for xmas 30 years ago. This past winter I sent them back for repair. The optics were still perfect but the rubber coating was soft and pealing from suntan lotion and dirty hands. The service rep told me they would give me a condition report. Within 7 days of receiving my glasses, UPS delivered a set of new current commanders with compass. Wife paid around $400 for mine and these are $1100-1200.
It was supplied with the optional floatation strap.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:25 PM
  #12  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I've used a pair of the Fujinon Polaris with compass for 13 years, and a lot of use and abuse. Fantastic optics, great low light performance. Love those things. They are heavy. Defender puts them on sale every so often.
Originally Posted by MarAgt View Post
I have a pair of the Vortex Diamondbacks 8x42's. I rec'd them for Christmas and I really really like them a lot. A buddy of mine rec'd a pair of Swarovski binos w/the build in range finder. We both went on a hunting trip in January, so I had a good bit of time to do a side by side daytime comparison of the two. Taking away the range finder, as much as I looked through both sets, at equal objects, I just could not see a difference in clarity. Now, I cannot say the Swarovskis will not have better light gathering capabilities at dawn or dusk, or won't last longer. But a side by side daytime comparison to me seemed pretty darn comparable. I just did not see the $2300 difference in them. That being said, I am sure there are guys on this and several hunting forums that glass over miles and miles of western plains and mountains that might argue differently; but to this layman, who uses binos rather regularly (particularly during hunting season), I just did not see an appreciable difference in the function of the Vortex Diamnondback and Swarovski binos.
Originally Posted by 23trophy View Post
The Steiner warantee is the best. The wife bought me commanders with the compass for xmas 30 years ago. This past winter I sent them back for repair. The optics were still perfect but the rubber coating was soft and pealing from suntan lotion and dirty hands. The service rep told me they would give me a condition report. Within 7 days of receiving my glasses, UPS delivered a set of new current commanders with compass. Wife paid around $400 for mine and these are $1100-1200.
It was supplied with the optional floatation strap.
Thank you all for the feedback. A common thread for me is the importance of a great warranty. Seems like Steiner may be among the best, if not the very best. Anyone had any experience with the Fujinon customer service/warranty?

Right now I seem to be between the Steiner Commander 7x50 and the Fujinon 7x50 FMT-SX Polaris.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:04 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 612
Received 149 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

i have the vortex diamond back and the wife has the vipers I like them the warranty is lifetime the clarity is good bang for buck you can't beat them .I looked at a bunch under 1000 I felt the vortex where the best
Old 07-25-2018, 02:07 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Saint Amant Louisiana
Posts: 3,162
Received 794 Likes on 395 Posts
Default

I have been very pleased with Vangaurd

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.