Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

How Much Does It Cost to Fix Gel Coat Scuff in 2018

Notices
Like Tree8Likes

How Much Does It Cost to Fix Gel Coat Scuff in 2018

Reply

Old 05-16-2018, 08:43 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
Default How Much Does It Cost to Fix Gel Coat Scuff in 2018

My buddy sold his boat to a buyer up north. Upon receiving it the buyer claimed there's a gel coat scuff that was not disclosed in the selling ad. It looks like when in storage, the nylon strap used to secure the boat might have rubbed on the side of the boat. My buddy is a nice guy, he told the buyer to have it fixed and he'd pay for it. About a month later, the buyer sent him an estimate of almost $4500.00 which is way beyond what he thought it would be. Since I used to work on boats a lot, he asked me how much it might cost to fix this kind of scuff. To me, it's not a big deal. I know black boat, will be more expensive than a white boat, but I it's a haven't done any repair works for almost 10 years, I am not sure about the cost and price. What should be a fair price to fix this, say in 2018?
enterprisemarine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:54 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,487
Default

Originally Posted by enterprisemarine View Post
My buddy sold his boat to a buyer up north. Upon receiving it the buyer claimed there's a gel coat scuff that was not disclosed in the selling ad. It looks like when in storage, the nylon strap used to secure the boat might have rubbed on the side of the boat. My buddy is a nice guy, he told the buyer to have it fixed and he'd pay for it. About a month later, the buyer sent him an estimate of almost $4500.00 which is way beyond what he thought it would be. Since I used to work on boats a lot, he asked me how much it might cost to fix this kind of scuff. To me, it's not a big deal. I know black boat, will be more expensive than a white boat, but I it's a haven't done any repair works for almost 10 years, I am not sure about the cost and price. What should be a fair price to fix this, say in 2018?
Compound, wool pad, polish, wax $75 bucks.

That needs correction not repair. You could paint that entire boat for less.
Danny33486 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:10 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 982
Default

Buyer should have not baught it sight unseen. Was ir sold as is? Who transported up north the seller?
planerboard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:29 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Haddam, CT
Posts: 683
Default

First off, your buddy should not have told the buyer to have it fixed and he would pay for it. Now the buyer is trying to sucker him.
Tell the buyer to go pound sand.
ken62k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:29 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Default

I think the quote might be off 40%. A polisher will cost at least $30 so the Danny33486 quote should be $105. Seems like someone is trying to get a free paint job.
Danny33486 likes this.
nuggle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:32 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by planerboard View Post
Buyer should have not baught it sight unseen. Was ir sold as is? Who transported up north the seller?
The seller hired a shipping company, the transaction with which went very smooth.
enterprisemarine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:36 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 984
Default

Was a strap there when the boat was shipped? Could be shipping damage, not storage damage. As for the estimate...based on appearances in the pic, I'd say the guy is off by a margin of two decimal points to the right.
flcatcher1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:38 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
Default



Here's the estimate my buddy got and he's expected to pay to buyer.
enterprisemarine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by flcatcher1 View Post
Was a strap there when the boat was shipped? Could be shipping damage, not storage damage. As for the estimate...based on appearances in the pic, I'd say the guy is off by a margin of two decimal points to the right.
Yes, the straps were there when carrier picked up. I don't think the carrier should take any blame here, since they didn't strap the boat.
enterprisemarine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Port Orange Florida
Posts: 2,202
Default

Please get some more info on what your buddies buyer is asking for in that $4500 quote. I want to hear what the $4500 repair consists of.
shore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,487
Default

That's an estimate to paint the entire boat. Your buddy is being scammed. HebahouHe offer to pay for a full detail. That's it.
Danny33486 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Port Orange Florida
Posts: 2,202
Default

holy shit he wants the boat stripped and recoated.
shore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:48 AM
  #13  
Super Moderator
 
THT MOD 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: In The Heart Of Dixie
Posts: 1,207
Default

Let the Buyer Beware, p.s. if your "buddy" is that generous I need my boat, house and car repainted.
Raybo Marine NY likes this.
THT MOD 14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:49 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,338
Default

My neighbour reversed into my car recently causing a 2" dent in the wing (fender) and offered to pay for the repair (as you'd expect) - this is like me having the car fully resprayed to fix that tiny dent!

I'd tell the buyer the offer to pay to have it fixed is a buffing out of the damage, no more.
Clinker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:51 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Va beach area
Posts: 3,736
Default

Lol .....a light wet sand and buffer that would be gone! Total scam
magua likes this.
coastalfiberglass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:58 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 6,753
Default

i think an hour or so that would sand out

if it is ALREADY painted and that is too deep to get out (which I doubt) it can be touched up, figure even $1k would be on the VERY high side of that

the "tape, paper, plastic" @ $95 has me really kind of shaking my head , especially when you combine it with the $50 in "misc"
magua likes this.
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:04 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Port Richey, Fl
Posts: 2,007
Default

Had a scuff mark repaired on the KW last week. All in paid like $200.00


That would be a big fat NO.
jets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:06 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 6,753
Default

tell him to eat shit
jets likes this.
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
Posts: 2,108
Default

That’s really nuts man. I would tell the seller to pound sand. If he wants his whole both repainted, your buddy can chip in 100$ for the scratch.
sultany is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:15 AM
  #20  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by Raybo Marine NY View Post
i think an hour or so that would sand out

if it is ALREADY painted and that is too deep to get out (which I doubt) it can be touched up, figure even $1k would be on the VERY high side of that

the "tape, paper, plastic" @ $95 has me really kind of shaking my head , especially when you combine it with the $50 in "misc"
That's what I thought. I already told my buddy, back in the day I could have the whole boat painted for less than 2K, I probably can still get it done nowadays if I had my resale certi. to get supplies from distributors. And, obviously, someone is trying to get the boat repainted for free.
enterprisemarine is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: