Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Any Release Tarpon Bay Boat Owners?

Notices
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DarcizzleOffshore
  • 1 Post By Patton222

Any Release Tarpon Bay Boat Owners?

Old 05-05-2018, 05:05 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 13
Default Any Release Tarpon Bay Boat Owners?

Trying to find other Release Tarpon Bay 17 owners.
wahoojunkie is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 06:28 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 8
Default

There's very little info about them on the web. I have one, but haven't had it for very long. Wound up stalking Craigslist and BoatTrader and emailing people selling their Releases with my questions, as the previous owner was clueless.
drail is offline  
Old 09-05-2018, 08:48 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Default

Hi,
I just got myself a 2003. I guess I'm in the same shoes as you guys. Try to find info. I tried to contact the company, looks like it does not exist anymore. What year is your boat?
BigJohn555 is offline  
Old 09-05-2018, 10:30 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: JAX, FL
Posts: 406
Default

Always thought this boat had such cool layout options. Post some pics of your boats.
briclark904 is offline  
Old 09-05-2018, 02:45 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by BigJohn555 View Post
Hi,
I just got myself a 2003. I guess I'm in the same shoes as you guys. Try to find info. I tried to contact the company, looks like it does not exist anymore. What year is your boat?
As far as I've been able to figure out.....

The guy who made them in 2003 was out of Homestead. Another company bought the name/molds but seems to be more into bigger center consoles. Mine is a 2014 and was made by the new company/owners.

I spoke to the owner of the new company briefly and he seemed to be a nice guy. Might be able to answer your questions or point you in the right direction.
drail is offline  
Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Default

Do you have any contact info?

Originally Posted by drail View Post
As far as I've been able to figure out.....

The guy who made them in 2003 was out of Homestead. Another company bought the name/molds but seems to be more into bigger center consoles. Mine is a 2014 and was made by the new company/owners.

I spoke to the owner of the new company briefly and he seemed to be a nice guy. Might be able to answer your questions or point you in the right direction.
BigJohn555 is offline  
Old 09-06-2018, 04:45 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by BigJohn555 View Post
Do you have any contact info?
I just called the number on their website (305) 953-9335
drail is offline  
Old 09-06-2018, 06:13 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Default

I did the same thing yesterday, and I messaged them through Facebook. No response so far. I also have seen an online review that quotes that the new company is out of business, the can't even pay their workers. Sad.
Originally Posted by drail View Post
I just called the number on their website (305) 953-9335
BigJohn555 is offline  
Old 09-06-2018, 06:32 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Default

Here are a few pics. Right now I'm not sure what I want to do. I put it up for sale, if I get a decent amount for it I will sell as I wanted to get into something lighter for poling. If not, I probably going to rework it from bottom to top and keep it for a while.
Originally Posted by briclark904 View Post
Always thought this boat had such cool layout options. Post some pics of your boats.
Attached Images     
BigJohn555 is offline  
Old 09-07-2018, 03:48 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Damn. I called and talked to them around Oct of 2017. He did say that Jeff from SWFla Marine is knowledgeable of them and could answer any questions that I had, 239-437-2444. But I didn't ever get around to calling him to see.

Yeah if you wanted a poling skiff, this aint it. I even took my platform off.

What brand/dia/pitch prop are you running? Do you have any ventilation when turning?
drail is offline  
Old 09-07-2018, 08:31 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Default

I found a different number for Release yesterday and I got answered. Looks like the cockpit floor is fiberglassed marine plywood but the stringers should be composite. I had no chance to put the boat on the water. I want to do a full check on the motor, before I do anything else. Depending on the result I will make a decision to restore or resell.

Originally Posted by drail View Post
Damn. I called and talked to them around Oct of 2017. He did say that Jeff from SWFla Marine is knowledgeable of them and could answer any questions that I had, 239-437-2444. But I didn't ever get around to calling him to see.

Yeah if you wanted a poling skiff, this aint it. I even took my platform off.

What brand/dia/pitch prop are you running? Do you have any ventilation when turning?
BigJohn555 is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 03:25 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 397
Default

Originally Posted by BigJohn555 View Post
Do you have any contact info?
Gerritt Walsh
gerritt@Releaseboats.com
I bought a new 2017 180RX with the larger console option and porta potty.
Heading towards the second summer with it so far.
Really like the boat. Dry smooth ride.
zash is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 04:07 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,654
Default

Originally Posted by drail View Post
Damn. I called and talked to them around Oct of 2017. He did say that Jeff from SWFla Marine is knowledgeable of them and could answer any questions that I had, 239-437-2444. But I didn't ever get around to calling him to see.

Yeah if you wanted a poling skiff, this aint it. I even took my platform off.

What brand/dia/pitch prop are you running? Do you have any ventilation when turning?
I know nothing about what makes a good/great poling skiff (draft and light weight comes to mind) but why is this boat not good for poling?
A 125 seems large and maybe heavy for something that is meant for poling. Yes, No?
Thanks,

.
240 LTS is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 06:23 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 458
Default

We have a 21' 1999. Have not been able to get a ton of info either. From what I've read, mostly on old THT threads honestly...is that the boats were originally made by the dude in Homestead who was excellent. Boats became well-known as guide boats in the S. Florida area, Biscayne, etc. Claimed to be one of the first hybrid flats to bay boats capable of handling a 1-2' chop. I know the FWC and some Sheriff's offices use them. The dude sold the company and Release turned more into a mainstream mid tier CC builder. General consensus appears to be that the two companies, old and new, are very very different. We love ours.


240 LTS likes this.

Last edited by DarcizzleOffshore; 01-22-2019 at 06:30 AM.
DarcizzleOffshore is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 AM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by 240 LTS View Post
I know nothing about what makes a good/great poling skiff (draft and light weight comes to mind) but why is this boat not good for poling?
A 125 seems large and maybe heavy for something that is meant for poling. Yes, No?
Thanks,

.
I'm sure you could pole it if you really wanted to. The hull alone is 1000lbs and it takes a solid foot for it to float because of all the deadrise. An actual poling skiff will be significantly lighter and have very little deadrise.
drail is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 07:47 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by DarcizzleOffshore View Post
We have a 21' 1999. Have not been able to get a ton of info either. From what I've read, mostly on old THT threads honestly...is that the boats were originally made by the dude in Homestead who was excellent. Boats became well-known as guide boats in the S. Florida area, Biscayne, etc. Claimed to be one of the first hybrid flats to bay boats capable of handling a 1-2' chop. I know the FWC and some Sheriff's offices use them. The dude sold the company and Release turned more into a mainstream mid tier CC builder. General consensus appears to be that the two companies, old and new, are very very different. We love ours.
I've heard/found most of the same info. For what it's worth, my 2014 boat built by the new owner seems well made so far, but time will tell. Whoever rigged it (be it the original dealer or the builder) did a crap job, but at least the wiring is decent. It has been a good boat so far but I've only had it for a little over a year.
drail is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Default

John and his father ran the company for a long time. Mine is a 98. It’s a 21 ft classic. I bought it used in 2003. Still have the original 225 Merc EFI. The boat is an absolute battleship from a structural standpoint. Takes chop well. Possibly one of the first bay boats, when fitted with the large console. Mine is one of the few made with a small console.
mizzoukispot is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 03:03 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,862
Default

Loved the older Release's, great boats. Look up John Courtney on Facebook if you have it, he was one of the original owners. His profile picture is of him and his wife and he has a beard with glasses on. In case more than one John Courtney pops up. He can tell you everything you'd ever need to know.
drail likes this.
Patton222 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread