Notices
Like Tree57Likes

High end bay boats

Old 04-24-2018, 07:41 PM
  #121  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tarpon Springs
Posts: 4,645
Default

Originally Posted by SaltyRhino View Post
Any info on the Shaeffer 28 they are building?
They had one on the trailer today. Looked like it was ready for delivery.
76 Mako 23 is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 03:56 AM
  #122  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Davie / Islamorada
Posts: 12,265
Default

Originally Posted by squirm88 View Post
I agree.

Somewhere along the line I lost touch with what is labeled a "bay boat". You now have manufacturers labeling 26'+ boats as bay boats, yet they draft almost the same as a similar sized offshore center console. I thought the whole point of a bay boat was to inshore fish. I'm guessing everyone has different needs and each boat is a compromise. When the focus of the boat becomes more about fishing offshore/near shore and less about inshore/bay fishing, is the boat still a "bay" boat or some kind of hybrid? There's just no way I can see some of these big "bay" boats being able to run in or fish in 2' or less of water.
My 26 Gause would easily run in a foot of water on plane ... trim up the porta bracket and only thing in the water was the prop and skeg...

Pucker factor was large but I was always shocked how shallow that big boat would get ...
triplenet is online now  
Old 04-25-2018, 04:17 AM
  #123  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,346
Default

Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
My 26 Gause would easily run in a foot of water on plane ... trim up the porta bracket and only thing in the water was the prop and skeg...

Pucker factor was large but I was always shocked how shallow that big boat would get ...
The Guase floats and runs shallow. I would say realistically it floats in 13-14" of water and can run in the same. The porta bracket and knowing how to drive it are huge factors.
FusionZ06 is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 07:46 AM
  #124  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Cape Coral FL
Posts: 344
Default

contender doesn't bullshit about the draft on their boat I have run mine pretty damn skinny. It will float in water my dog can sit in their is still green showing on my power poles
dmaxonclaws is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 08:37 AM
  #125  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,941
Default

Originally Posted by FusionZ06 View Post
The Guase floats and runs shallow. I would say realistically it floats in 13-14" of water and can run in the same. The porta bracket and knowing how to drive it are huge factors.
I'm not trying to discount the claim but help me understand how a 26' boat is running in 13-14" of water. The smallest props for a motor suited to run this boat (inline 4, 175-200hp) are 14'5" in diameter and many of the larger bay boats are running 16" props. Below the prop is another couple of inches of skeg.

I'm assuming the low water pick-up is just barely in the water and the part of the prop is out of the water. Even with a 4-blade prop trimmed up or running on a jack plate or the porta-bracket, I can't imagine the prop getting enough bite to push this boat very well in water less than the diameter of the prop.

Either way, my balls are not big enough to run a 26' $100k-200k boat fast enough on plane thru 13" of water. No way you're pushing that big a boat off a soft grounding when you hit it at 25+ mph.
jeff7y28 likes this.
On the Half Shell is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 09:12 AM
  #126  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 601
Default

Originally Posted by dmaxonclaws View Post
contender doesn't bullshit about the draft on their boat I have run mine pretty damn skinny. It will float in water my dog can sit in their is still green showing on my power poles
Completely agree. mine will float in 12" and run in a mudhole. One thing that gives it an edge over many good bay boats is it's ocean capability. Far superior to most. i take mine 30+ miles on nice days all the time. If it turns snotty i know i'll get back in one piece and not beat up.
P G T Beauregard is online now  
Old 04-25-2018, 09:20 AM
  #127  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 5,875
Default

When I was a dumb ass and running my 21' Action Craft in the keys during a windy day, I came up on a flat at about 40mph that I didnt see fast enough to avoid. I just turned the wheel in a sharp turn, and, by being banked over, was able to ride out a half circle to deeper water by riding the taper in the hull, while my motor was at about a 30 degree angle to the water surface. Didnt even stir up the seagrass, thank goodness. Water was about 6-12' deep max. But even though I could run that boat in a foot or so of water while on plane, that's not good for seagrass and other living things, so not something worth doing, even if you can churn up the mud and keep going. floating is a whole other issue though.
manitunc is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 09:22 AM
  #128  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 601
Default

Originally Posted by manitunc View Post
When I was a dumb ass and running my 21' Action Craft in the keys during a windy day, I came up on a flat at about 40mph that I didnt see fast enough to avoid. I just turned the wheel in a sharp turn, and, by being banked over, was able to ride out a half circle to deeper water by riding the taper in the hull, while my motor was at about a 30 degree angle to the water surface. Didnt even stir up the seagrass, thank goodness. Water was about 6-12' deep max. But even though I could run that boat in a foot or so of water while on plane, that's not good for seagrass and other living things, so not something worth doing, even if you can churn up the mud and keep going. floating is a whole other issue though.
good to know you are no longer a dumbass.
P G T Beauregard is online now  
Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 AM
  #129  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,941
Default

Originally Posted by P G T Beauregard View Post
Completely agree. mine will float in 12" and run in a mudhole. One thing that gives it an edge over many good bay boats is it's ocean capability. Far superior to most. i take mine 30+ miles on nice days all the time. If it turns snotty i know i'll get back in one piece and not beat up.
That Contender 25 Bay is a great boat for sure but are you sure your power poles are not lifting the stern a couple of inches as they can do in firm sand? Here is a link to beautiful one for sale with a good pic of it floating (and with no one on board)

Used 2017 Contender 25 Bay, Key Largo, Fl - 33037 - BoatTrader.com

Notice that the bottom of the power poles and brackets are in the water, where the waterline is, and then look at a pic of on the trailer and how far that is to the bottom of the keel at the transom. It's looks a little more than 12". I'm betting Contenders' 12" claim is without the 550lb motor, 50lb jackplate, and 60lbs of power poles and mounting brackets hanging off the transom.
On the Half Shell is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 10:45 AM
  #130  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 24
Default

Originally Posted by On the Half Shell View Post
I'm not trying to discount the claim but help me understand how a 26' boat is running in 13-14" of water. The smallest props for a motor suited to run this boat (inline 4, 175-200hp) are 14'5" in diameter and many of the larger bay boats are running 16" props. Below the prop is another couple of inches of skeg.

I'm assuming the low water pick-up is just barely in the water and the part of the prop is out of the water. Even with a 4-blade prop trimmed up or running on a jack plate or the porta-bracket, I can't imagine the prop getting enough bite to push this boat very well in water less than the diameter of the prop.

Either way, my balls are not big enough to run a 26' $100k-200k boat fast enough on plane thru 13" of water. No way you're pushing that big a boat off a soft grounding when you hit it at 25+ mph.
The setback with the Porta-bracket is about 2 feet which allows the water to raise up behind the transom giving the prop more to grip while running.
flashalexb is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 10:56 AM
  #131  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
Default

Originally Posted by CK Prime View Post


As expected, there are many versions of opinions of high end bay boats. I consider this Action Craft 24 ACE as a high end bay boat. We definitely are not your everyday production assembly line boat builder. Just thought I would share. Thanks, CK Prime
Looks tippy!
CzecheredPast is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 12:04 PM
  #132  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Clearwater Fl
Posts: 5,280
Default

So your bay boat runs shallow?

linesider 159 is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 04:24 PM
  #133  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 179
Default

Originally Posted by CzecheredPast View Post
Looks tippy!
Not at all or I wouldn't run it.
CK Prime is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 05:11 PM
  #134  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 6,319
Default

Originally Posted by On the Half Shell View Post
I'm not trying to discount the claim but help me understand how a 26' boat is running in 13-14" of water. The smallest props for a motor suited to run this boat (inline 4, 175-200hp) are 14'5" in diameter and many of the larger bay boats are running 16" props. Below the prop is another couple of inches of skeg.

I'm assuming the low water pick-up is just barely in the water and the part of the prop is out of the water. Even with a 4-blade prop trimmed up or running on a jack plate or the porta-bracket, I can't imagine the prop getting enough bite to push this boat very well in water less than the diameter of the prop.

Either way, my balls are not big enough to run a 26' $100k-200k boat fast enough on plane thru 13" of water. No way you're pushing that big a boat off a soft grounding when you hit it at 25+ mph.
Originally Posted by On the Half Shell View Post
That Contender 25 Bay is a great boat for sure but are you sure your power poles are not lifting the stern a couple of inches as they can do in firm sand? Here is a link to beautiful one for sale with a good pic of it floating (and with no one on board)

Used 2017 Contender 25 Bay, Key Largo, Fl - 33037 - BoatTrader.com

Notice that the bottom of the power poles and brackets are in the water, where the waterline is, and then look at a pic of on the trailer and how far that is to the bottom of the keel at the transom. It's looks a little more than 12". I'm betting Contenders' 12" claim is without the 550lb motor, 50lb jackplate, and 60lbs of power poles and mounting brackets hanging off the transom.

On the Half Shelf has a good eye and knows his stuff
jeff7y28 likes this.
magua is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 09:01 PM
  #135  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 971
Default

That Contender has some nice rigging under the console ��
RUFcaptain is offline  
Old 04-26-2018, 03:39 AM
  #136  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
Default

Originally Posted by CK Prime View Post
Not at all or I wouldn't run it.

No offense.....that is just the standard joke on THT with anything higher than a T-Top.....
CzecheredPast is offline  
Old 04-26-2018, 04:01 AM
  #137  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Trinity, Fl
Posts: 169
Default

Hydra-Sports....
CAT Chaser is offline  
Old 04-26-2018, 04:39 AM
  #138  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 456
Default


well mine wont run this skinny or float for that matter.
threemanx is offline  
Old 04-26-2018, 04:42 AM
  #139  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
Default

Originally Posted by threemanx View Post

well mine wont run this skinny or float for that matter.
Been there done that.....bet that Skeg is nice and smooth and ready for a new coat of paint! ....Just like mine was...:
CzecheredPast is offline  
Old 04-26-2018, 06:05 AM
  #140  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 456
Default

Originally Posted by CzecheredPast View Post
Been there done that.....bet that Skeg is nice and smooth and ready for a new coat of paint! ....Just like mine was...:
i like mine bright!
fijon likes this.
threemanx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread