Notices
Like Tree10Likes

Offshore Life Raft Questions

Old 03-02-2018, 07:35 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 463
Default

Question:
If you are not required to have a raft but you do and it is
out of date, is that a CG violation?
Bob1957 is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 07:42 AM
  #22  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 31
Default

I order the Viking Coastal from the GPS store in Ocean Isle area when they had a special. Since you are in NC this may be a good option for you.

The hardest part for a boat that size is finding somewhere to keep it dry and readily accessible. We did not have a locker big enough for it to fit in and the console always get filled up with crap and I didnt want to have to dig it out if I ever needed it.

We keep ours on deck in an oversized water proof duffel bag. It's an extra 20 seconds to get it out of the bag but I would rather have it dry and work than wet and not function properly. Moisture is the enemy of rafts.

I think the hydrostatic fixed mounts are a bad idea on a center console because most boats this size will not sink and they tend to turttle when swamped making it more difficult to access.
yellerdog is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 AM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,838
Default

Originally Posted by RockOnOBX View Post
I have a 25 foot Center Console and I fish offshore a lot and I am thinking about buying a life raft to have on the boat. I am looking for any input on brands, issues, and places to buy. Thanks for the help for those that have info.
Plenty of threads if you search

I would not go off-shore without a life raft or my dinghy.

FYI I have a Revere Coastal Commander 6 for sale

Originally Posted by Bob1957 View Post
Question:
If you are not required to have a raft but you do and it is
out of date, is that a CG violation?
There was recently a discussion on this if you search
mystery is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 09:59 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,497
Default

Originally Posted by Cool Change1 View Post
Finatic1, this is what will be on my 28 foot WhiteWater that I will be crossing to the Bahamas in. Amazon has a highly rated and seemingly very durable recreactional 4 person raft, it is the Intex Marine Mariner 4, four person raft for $229.oo. It comes with paddles and a pump. I will have two of these on my boat. I plan to stuff it in a five gallon home depot bucket with the cap on it. In another bucket I will have a flare kit, personal locater beacon, strobe light, rescue whistle, hand held VHF radio, Sea Rescue banner, one gallon Clorox jug 2/3 filled with water and a package of energy bars. Both capped five gallon buckets will be attached to a grab rope, stored inside the console. I will have two of these complete above listed ditch kits stored in the console. The reason I want to keep each ditch kit stored in two five gallon buckets is that they also can be used as emergency flotation. PFD's will be stored in the console as well to be taken into the water as well. In my opinion to rely on one raft, or one of anything else for life saving purposes is highly risky. For 26 years I was a Firefighter/ Paramedic, so I am used to planning for the worst. With the above two ditch kits, I expect to be in the inflatables for no more than four hours. Being that I will be the captain of my boat, I take the responsibility of everyone's lives very seriously.






Charlie
"I should be in the Bahamas"
15/20 minute set up time, no good and it is a toy, not a life raft.
Why not just get a real life raft, even a revere valise won’t set you back crazy money.
Local Motion is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 11:42 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NE
Posts: 336
Default

Originally Posted by Bob1957 View Post
Question:
If you are not required to have a raft but you do and it is
out of date, is that a CG violation?
Since there is no requirement for you to have one there is no requirement for inspection.
Now, should you have it inspected?? when is up to you, manufacturers have recommendations, depending on the stuff inside the raft, the stuff has different expiration dates. Remember it's folded rubber, just like something left folded the same way for year after year it weakens at that point. That's part of the reason for the inspections is to re-fold them.
xr616 is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 12:41 PM
  #26  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 871
Default

Originally Posted by xr616 View Post
Since there is no requirement for you to have one there is no requirement for inspection.
Now, should you have it inspected?? when is up to you, manufacturers have recommendations, depending on the stuff inside the raft, the stuff has different expiration dates. Remember it's folded rubber, just like something left folded the same way for year after year it weakens at that point. That's part of the reason for the inspections is to re-fold them.

On a recreational boat, the inspection/repacking is for the safety of the crew, not the regulators. It has been a while since I had one repackaged, but they check everything for operational ability, periodically replacing various parts/items and as necessary. The first time I had one done, they returned everything replaced. That is how I know to not eat the biscuits.

A few other suggestions. Invest in type 1 pfd's. If properly sized and worn, they will keep the wearer's head above water even if unconscious. Each life jacket should have a strobe, whistle and a mirror attached to it.
RockOnOBX likes this.
finatic1 is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 01:19 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 172
Default

All good points. It is my intention to use a shop vac to empty the inflatable and then roll it up like a burrito and see if it will fit into a capped five gallon bucket. Stored in the relatively cool area of the inside of the console. The 3/4 filled Clorox jugs are for water and a durable backup flotation device. Properly rinsed and soaked, Clorox jugs are fine to drink out of, they are also very visible from the air if tied to the raft.
Even if we have to go in the water first before we fill the raft with air, it won't be a problem, I have spent all day in the water diving so fifteen minutes is not a problem. Consider the extreme rarity we would have to use the rafts, with the EPIRB, PLB, hand held VHF, strobe light, SeaRescue banner, there is very little chance we will be in the waters between Florida and the Bahamas for more than three hours. If you read the reviews on my chosen inflatables, they seem to be very durable. I also plan to replace one of them every two years, which is probably a lot cheaper than servicing designated life rafts.
Even though I feel I have thought this out to a very safe outcome, to each his own.
I wish every one would get the amount of rescue equipment I will be carrying, I know plenty of people who have nothing but PFD'S, good luck to them.


Charlie
"I should be in the Bahamas"
Cool Change1 is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 03:29 PM
  #28  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 1,486
Default

Originally Posted by Cool Change1 View Post
All good points. It is my intention to use a shop vac to empty the inflatable and then roll it up like a burrito and see if it will fit into a capped five gallon bucket. Stored in the relatively cool area of the inside of the console. The 3/4 filled Clorox jugs are for water and a durable backup flotation device. Properly rinsed and soaked, Clorox jugs are fine to drink out of, they are also very visible from the air if tied to the raft.
Even if we have to go in the water first before we fill the raft with air, it won't be a problem, I have spent all day in the water diving so fifteen minutes is not a problem. Consider the extreme rarity we would have to use the rafts, with the EPIRB, PLB, hand held VHF, strobe light, SeaRescue banner, there is very little chance we will be in the waters between Florida and the Bahamas for more than three hours. If you read the reviews on my chosen inflatables, they seem to be very durable. I also plan to replace one of them every two years, which is probably a lot cheaper than servicing designated life rafts.
Even though I feel I have thought this out to a very safe outcome, to each his own.
I wish every one would get the amount of rescue equipment I will be carrying, I know plenty of people who have nothing but PFD'S, good luck to them.



Charlie
"I should be in the Bahamas"

I highly recommend that on a beautiful day just for fun you thow on a PFD jump into the water with your raft in a bucket and inflate it with a hand pump. Than climb into it and have a second person climb into it. It is very valuable to experiance the event without the pressure of everything going south. That way you know what works and what needs improvements.

Anyone who enjoys reading about true survival stories, pick up or download "Fatal Forecast"
gundog61 is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 04:04 PM
  #29  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 871
Default

Originally Posted by Cool Change1 View Post
All good points. It is my intention to use a shop vac to empty the inflatable and then roll it up like a burrito and see if it will fit into a capped five gallon bucket. Stored in the relatively cool area of the inside of the console. The 3/4 filled Clorox jugs are for water and a durable backup flotation device. Properly rinsed and soaked, Clorox jugs are fine to drink out of, they are also very visible from the air if tied to the raft.
Even if we have to go in the water first before we fill the raft with air, it won't be a problem, I have spent all day in the water diving so fifteen minutes is not a problem. Consider the extreme rarity we would have to use the rafts, with the EPIRB, PLB, hand held VHF, strobe light, SeaRescue banner, there is very little chance we will be in the waters between Florida and the Bahamas for more than three hours. If you read the reviews on my chosen inflatables, they seem to be very durable. I also plan to replace one of them every two years, which is probably a lot cheaper than servicing designated life rafts.
Even though I feel I have thought this out to a very safe outcome, to each his own.
I wish every one would get the amount of rescue equipment I will be carrying, I know plenty of people who have nothing but PFD'S, good luck to them.


Charlie
"I should be in the Bahamas"
CoolChange1 - Please do not think I am trying to insult you. I am trying to help get you focused on the true risks you may (but hopefully never) may face. If you find yourself needing to abandon ship in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, there can only be one of two reasons. If you run out of fuel and are adrift, you will not abandon ship. If your motors fall off of the transom but the boat is still afloat, you will not abandon ship. You will only abandon ship when you are sinking from a catastrophic hull failure or an unforeseen weather condition that swamps your boat. As the prior poster points out, perhaps more diplomatically than I am, there is no way you will be able to inflate those pool toys while suspended in the water. There is no way those pool toys can survive the savages of the ocean in the middle of an unexpected storm. A real life raft is designed with a very low center of gravity to prevent being capsized. A real life raft provides some protection from the elements. A real life raft is designed to provide some thermal protection against hypothermia. I would rather see you go with nothing than those pool toys as it would make you more concerned as when to make the trip. Can you make the trip with your safety equipment without disaster. Yes you can until you can not.
finatic1 is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 07:31 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 172
Default

Gundog. I totally agree with you that I need to try and fill one of these boats while we are in the water. Maybe I need to find a rapid fill type CO2 system to make it easier and quicker.
Finatic, I certainly am not offended, real life and maybe even harsh criticism can save some ones life. I think the term pool toy is a little unfair. I read a lot of reviews by owners of these inflatables and some even claim they last multiple season's. I own an Intex brand air mattress and it is a quality product. The fact that a lot of people had reviews, I will have two of these ready to deploy with all other possible safety/ recovery gear on board, I feel I have my bases adequately covered. I checked out a few life rafts at the Miami show and the material was not very impressive to me.
Anyway, I will likely add a rapid fill CO2 system and then take it from there.


Thanks


Charlie
"I should be in the Bahamas"
Cool Change1 is offline  
Old 03-03-2018, 06:29 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,497
Default

A pool toy in a bucket and safety are 2 different conversations.

Get a real raft and pay for repacks. It comes with the territory and the responsibility.
Local Motion is offline  
Old 03-03-2018, 08:52 AM
  #32  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Peoples Republic of NJ
Posts: 1,290
Default

Viking Offshore 6 man raft with insulated floor. Fish the NJ canyons 90+ miles out so I wanted a good quality raft. Keep it in a valise and pull it out of the cabin and keep it on deck so it's ready if needed. Only down side is it's 83 lbs.
Rags is offline  
Old 03-03-2018, 09:19 AM
  #33  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 3,979
Default

Originally Posted by Rags View Post
Viking Offshore 6 man raft with insulated floor. Fish the NJ canyons 90+ miles out so I wanted a good quality raft. Keep it in a valise and pull it out of the cabin and keep it on deck so it's ready if needed. Only down side is it's 83 lbs.
Another reason I went with the same brand in the coastal version. Everyone on board needs to be able to deploy it. If its 83 pounds and in a locker good luck having a child or lady get it tied off and thrown overboard.
offshorebri is offline  
Old 03-03-2018, 11:20 AM
  #34  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Peoples Republic of NJ
Posts: 1,290
Default

Originally Posted by offshorebri View Post
Another reason I went with the same brand in the coastal version. Everyone on board needs to be able to deploy it. If its 83 pounds and in a locker good luck having a child or lady get it tied off and thrown overboard.
when we go to the canyons there's always 4-5 able body men on board.
When with the family there are always dozens of boats within stone hurling distance.
Rags is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 06:31 AM
  #35  
Senior MemberVendorCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location:
Posts: 586
Default Life Raft

Give me a call when you get a chance. I can help answer any questions you may have.
Scott
L.R.S.E.
401-816-5404
jwo9958 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread