Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Good way to fasten new bolsters with no way to use thru-bolts?

Notices
The Boating Forum

Good way to fasten new bolsters with no way to use thru-bolts?

Old 12-26-2017, 05:16 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,930
Received 1,843 Likes on 985 Posts
Default Good way to fasten new bolsters with no way to use thru-bolts?

I am going to try to make coaming bolsters for my boat and have no access to the back side of the gunnel. Can anyone show/tell me the best way to mount the bolsters and what fasteners to use?
Old 12-26-2017, 05:20 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 909
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Tracks and snaps. Whoever makes the pads for you should know how to build.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:52 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,489
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Good on ya for making your own, you can save a stack of cash. Made my own earlier this year and came out great.

Name:  IMG_0891.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  258.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0892.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  306.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0893.jpg
Views: 1576
Size:  241.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0894.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  357.6 KB

Buy your fabric, thread, needles on line. Was able to use the wifes sewing machine and worked out great. Snaps sounds like the way to go for your instant. I was able to thru bolt mine got lucky. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:02 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dix hills ny
Posts: 4,034
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Here you go, attach the track then sew the rope tape into the bolsters. Slide them in

Name:  Awning-Track-Flanged-White-48_1.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  Keder-Awning-Rope-Tape_1.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  26.7 KB
Old 12-26-2017, 06:11 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 10,109
Received 2,097 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default

garelick upholstery clips
Old 12-26-2017, 06:20 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 9,945
Received 1,580 Likes on 958 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Raybo Marine NY View Post
garelick upholstery clips
x2 https://www.wholesalemarine.com/gare...ips-99136.html
Old 12-26-2017, 06:21 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marco Island, FL
Posts: 3,509
Received 199 Likes on 139 Posts
Default

My local canvas shop uses these. They are easy to use and work well for me.


Old 12-26-2017, 07:01 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,930
Received 1,843 Likes on 985 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by greenno View Post
Good on ya for making your own, you can save a stack of cash. Made my own earlier this year and came out great.

Attachment 1031890
Attachment 1031891
Attachment 1031892
Attachment 1031893

Buy your fabric, thread, needles on line. Was able to use the wifes sewing machine and worked out great. Snaps sounds like the way to go for your instant. I was able to thru bolt mine got lucky. Good luck.
Wow nice job! I doubt if mine will turn out that nice.

I thought about using the track to slide the bead of the bolster in but that doesn't look substantial enough when I have some big guys leaning on them in rough water.

I will check out the rest of the fasteners so thanks for the info guys!
Old 12-26-2017, 07:05 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,930
Received 1,843 Likes on 985 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Raybo Marine NY View Post
garelick upholstery clips
Ok I give.....is there another half to these clips that get mounted on the gunnel? If not what do I attach the clips to the gunnel?
Old 12-26-2017, 07:06 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,930
Received 1,843 Likes on 985 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HDRyder999 View Post
My local canvas shop uses these. They are easy to use and work well for me.


I saw some of these @ Lowe's but they didn't look to be sturdy enough to hold the weight of 8' bolsters. ;?
Old 12-26-2017, 07:29 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 9,945
Received 1,580 Likes on 958 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
Ok I give.....is there another half to these clips that get mounted on the gunnel? If not what do I attach the clips to the gunnel?
The clips attach to your gunwales, with the open end facing up. Then they fit into holes in the back of the bolsters and you push the whole bolster down. The clips flex and will keep tension on the bolster. If my boat wasn't under cover, I'd take a couple pics for you. Might be able to do it in the next day or so when I'm near it.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:30 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: DeBary, Fl
Posts: 639
Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
Ok I give.....is there another half to these clips that get mounted on the gunnel? If not what do I attach the clips to the gunnel?
Clip mounts to the boat (one on each end of the pad and the rest spaced 12-18" apart). Drill a 1 3/8" hole on the back of the coaming pad at each clip and slide them on.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:42 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kelleys Island, Ohio
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3M Dual Lock

I am redoing my bolsters and I plan on using self-sticking 3M dual-lock. That way I can easily (I hope) take them off to clean. The fastener should be strong enough. No need to get behind the gunnels.

When I removed them they were glued on by construction glue. Left a mess that I will have to clean up in the spring.

Jim Zeller
Tiara 2700 Continental
Kelleys Island, Ohio
Old 12-26-2017, 09:44 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marco Island, FL
Posts: 3,509
Received 199 Likes on 139 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I saw some of these @ Lowe's but they didn't look to be sturdy enough to hold the weight of 8' bolsters. ;?
I'm dealing from memory here but my boat has a pair every foot or so. That way, the length doesn't matter. The longer the bolster, the more clips you use. I think they call them Christmas tree clips or something like that.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:00 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 8,516
Likes: 0
Received 1,359 Likes on 737 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I saw some of these @ Lowe's but they didn't look to be sturdy enough to hold the weight of 8' bolsters. ;?
Birdsall uses these. The short side goes in the bolster and then the "christmas tree" end goes in the mounting surface. They are plenty strong when they are 18" or so apart. One shot use but they are pretty cheap if you need to pull the bolster for some reason. Just pop the old ones out and push in the new ones.

Where did you see these at Lowe's? I thought they were an upholstery specific item but if they sell them at Lowes, I wonder what else they could be used for?
Old 12-27-2017, 10:32 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 9,945
Received 1,580 Likes on 958 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LMorgan View Post
Clip mounts to the boat (one on each end of the pad and the rest spaced 12-18" apart). Drill a 1 3/8" hole on the back of the coaming pad at each clip and slide them on.
Here are pics of how mine attach. Sorry for the dark pics. Had to reach under the cover to take these. Gives the OP the general idea. The bolster in the 2nd pic is just lying across the back of the boat. A friend's boat has the track style mentioned in one of the earlier posts. They work fine so long as you have room to feed it into the track.

Name:  untitled3.png
Views: 1227
Size:  231.8 KB

Name:  untitled4.png
Views: 1217
Size:  183.3 KB
Likes:
Old 12-27-2017, 10:42 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 25,439
Received 5,470 Likes on 3,496 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cobia 217 View Post
The clips attach to your gunwales, with the open end facing up. Then they fit into holes in the back of the bolsters and you push the whole bolster down. The clips flex and will keep tension on the bolster. If my boat wasn't under cover, I'd take a couple pics for you. Might be able to do it in the next day or so when I'm near it.
Just like a door panel on a car.
Likes:
Old 12-27-2017, 10:43 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 25,439
Received 5,470 Likes on 3,496 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cobia 217 View Post
Here are pics of how mine attach. Sorry for the dark pics. Had to reach under the cover to take these. Gives the OP the general idea. The bolster in the 2nd pic is just lying across the back of the boat. A friend's boat has the track style mentioned in one of the earlier posts. They work fine so long as you have room to feed it into the track.

Attachment 1032038

Attachment 1032039
THAT would be my first choice!!
Old 12-27-2017, 05:21 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,930
Received 1,843 Likes on 985 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OReely View Post
Birdsall uses these. The short side goes in the bolster and then the "christmas tree" end goes in the mounting surface. They are plenty strong when they are 18" or so apart. One shot use but they are pretty cheap if you need to pull the bolster for some reason. Just pop the old ones out and push in the new ones.

Where did you see these at Lowe's? I thought they were an upholstery specific item but if they sell them at Lowes, I wonder what else they could be used for?
The guy @ Lowe's called them Christmas Tree fasteners. They are in the same area as all of their other fasteners. They are really cheap.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:22 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,930
Received 1,843 Likes on 985 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cobia 217 View Post
Here are pics of how mine attach. Sorry for the dark pics. Had to reach under the cover to take these. Gives the OP the general idea. The bolster in the 2nd pic is just lying across the back of the boat. A friend's boat has the track style mentioned in one of the earlier posts. They work fine so long as you have room to feed it into the track.

Attachment 1032038

Attachment 1032039
Thanks for the pics, I understand how they work after seeing the pictures. Thanks!!
Likes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.