Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Progressive boat innsurance is dishonest !!

Notices
Like Tree61Likes

Progressive boat innsurance is dishonest !!

Old 11-19-2017, 04:50 PM
  #21  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by mkalink View Post
I find it amusing that you would insure a boat worth $1500 to $2500 max for $17000. I had a claim with progressive for storm damage and they were super to deal with. I sense the dishonesty in your story.
Why is this amusing.
Your "value" statement of $1500 to $2500 totally incorrect.
Look at NADA. With all the options I had, the value is right around $12,500. Plus it had a Mercruiser 5.7 L long block installed two years ago, also. a new - all around salon cover with windows installed at the same time. I have receipts. $7250 total.

The point here is that Progressive said the damage was NOT caused by the storm.
They called it "Dock Rash" = damage over a long period of time.
kefgenr is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 05:02 PM
  #22  
C3D
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,006
Default

Originally Posted by kefgenr View Post
Why is this amusing.
Your "value" statement of $1500 to $2500 totally incorrect.
Look at NADA. With all the options I had, the value is right around $12,500. Plus it had a Mercruiser 5.7 L long block installed two years ago, also. a new - all around salon cover with windows installed at the same time. I have receipts. $7250 total.

The point here is that Progressive said the damage was NOT caused by the storm.
They called it "Dock Rash" = damage over a long period of time.


See where you screwed up here is the boat didn't sink. Then you could get your $19000 check. Next time try a fire, that works well.
crossthread, BOSBoatMan and JamieN like this.
C3D is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 05:05 PM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
fireisland1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,196
Default

OP, next time you post donít say Bayliner. Just use YellowFin, Contender or Freeman. Then everyone will be on your side.
lakemonster1, HTJ, AFlyer and 2 others like this.
fireisland1 is online now  
Old 11-19-2017, 05:16 PM
  #24  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steubenville, Ohio
Posts: 1,537
Default

Originally Posted by kefgenr View Post
Why is this amusing.
Your "value" statement of $1500 to $2500 totally incorrect.
Look at NADA. With all the options I had, the value is right around $12,500. Plus it had a Mercruiser 5.7 L long block installed two years ago, also. a new - all around salon cover with windows installed at the same time. I have receipts. $7250 total.

The point here is that Progressive said the damage was NOT caused by the storm.
They called it "Dock Rash" = damage over a long period of time.
Your ass, itís a freaking 22 year old Bayliner. Try and sell it for $7k. The amusing part is you insured a boat for over 2 times itís value and a month later you claimed it is a total loss. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it. Apparently Progressive thinks the same way.
crossthread and CzecheredPast like this.
mkalink is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 05:17 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,352
Default

BS. More to this story. I'll keep my Progressive insurance.
CzecheredPast likes this.
pstephens46 is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 06:19 PM
  #26  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,801
Default

Originally Posted by kefgenr View Post
Why is this amusing.
Your "value" statement of $1500 to $2500 totally incorrect.
Look at NADA. With all the options I had, the value is right around $12,500. Plus it had a Mercruiser 5.7 L long block installed two years ago, also. a new - all around salon cover with windows installed at the same time. I have receipts. $7250 total.

The point here is that Progressive said the damage was NOT caused by the storm.
They called it "Dock Rash" = damage over a long period of time.
Again, I will say that Progressive SHOULD cover the damage because it was likely caused by the storm. BUT

If you left your boat at the public marina at those docks I took photos of, YOU SHOULD HAVE EXPECTED that the boat would be damaged. Those docks are NOT meant for winter/fall storm moorage of small boats, they are intended for summer time, nice weather.

https://patch.com/washington/kirklan...irkland-marina
http://www.kirklandreporter.com/news...rkland-marina/
http://www.kirklandreporter.com/news...t-marina-park/
That is THREE separate accounts of boats sinking at those docks due to wind! Below is another recap of the above.

http://www.kirklandreporter.com/news...rkland-marina/
BadgerS is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 06:28 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,137
Default

Kudos to Progressive for sniffing out fraud and keeping rates reasonable. What do you think this is Medicare?
hunthard likes this.
Saltybrad is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 06:53 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 286
Default

Progressive is owned by a commie sympathetizer soooo.....

No surprise here....
Flycableguy likes this.
Bront Antwoord is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 06:58 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 170
Default

$17k is definitely crazy, but it is also the reality.

I was boat shopping in the fall, and let me tell you, 22yo Bayliners do sell for $17k (if not more). In another thread about used boat pricing, I posted my shock finding. A 20yo boat that was originally retailed for $24k was selling for $21k. And that was on the lower end of the scale. That's why I end up buying a new boat.
wshtb is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:12 PM
  #30  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brigantine, NJ
Posts: 2,469
Default

Originally Posted by wshtb View Post
$17k is definitely crazy, but it is also the reality.

I was boat shopping in the fall, and let me tell you, 22yo Bayliners do sell for $17k (if not more). In another thread about used boat pricing, I posted my shock finding. A 20yo boat that was originally retailed for $24k was selling for $21k. And that was on the lower end of the scale. That's why I end up buying a new boat.
We can all assure you that the 20yo boat you refer to was not a Bayliner. Are you a CNN reporter?
BayHouse is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:13 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Posts: 1,375
Default

A quick google search came up with 6 between $8000-$14000 so I guess $17000 isnít that nuts. How about some pics OP?
Rhumboogie likes this.
81Malibu is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:22 PM
  #32  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by mkalink View Post
Your ass, itís a freaking 22 year old Bayliner. Try and sell it for $7k. The amusing part is you insured a boat for over 2 times itís value and a month later you claimed it is a total loss. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it. Apparently Progressive thinks the same way.
Apparently you are one of the "Bayliner Hater" types.
Upper Crust Cobalt owner ? Grady White ? Sea-Ray ?
"Bayliner" - Not even a "real boat" in your opinion.

Way to trash the low life pawns in life.

I am not some "Newby" to boats.

I fished commercially on a limit purse seiner for three years in Alaska back in the early '70s. I also sailed to Petersburg, Alaska on a 36 foot classic wooden schooner with a couple of good friends from our college days. The owner, my good friend, made a fortune fishing King Crab in the Aleutians and was able to afford all the cool toys. We spent part our trip sailing with a following sea in the Gulf of Alaska, south of the Queen Charlotte Islands.

I am retiring after a middle of the road income and this Bayliner was affordable for me and was in immaculate condition with a new motor.

It was not a POS as you seem to assume.

NADA places the value at about $12,500 without considering it's immaculate condition and new motor.
kefgenr is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:23 PM
  #33  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,801
Default

Originally Posted by kefgenr View Post
Apparently you are one of the "Bayliner Hater" types.
Upper Crust Cobalt owner ? Grady White ? Sea-Ray ?
"Bayliner" - Not even a "real boat" in your opinion.

Way to trash the low life pawns in life.

I am not some "Newby" to boats.

I fished commercially on a limit purse seiner for three years in Alaska back in the early '70s. I also sailed to Petersburg, Alaska on a 36 foot classic wooden schooner with a couple of good friends from our college days. The owner, my good friend, made a fortune fishing King Crab in the Aleutians and was able to afford all the cool toys. We spent part our trip sailing with a following sea in the Gulf of Alaska, south of the Queen Charlotte Islands.

I am retiring after a middle of the road income and this Bayliner was affordable for me and was in immaculate condition with a new motor.

It was not a POS as you seem to assume.

NADA places the value at about $12,500 without considering it's immaculate condition and new motor.
Can you please confirm where you were docked?
BadgerS is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:26 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 170
Default

Originally Posted by BayHouse View Post
We can all assure you that the 20yo boat you refer to was not a Bayliner. Are you a CNN reporter?
I don't get your point... Are you saying my memory is wrong, or the ad was fake, or the MSRP from Nada is wrong, or something else?

I looked long and hard for a used boat as my first boat. But in the end I gave up because used boat price was just too crazy.
wshtb is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:44 PM
  #35  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 33
Default

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the hull prior to the damage.

I do have pictures that my wife and I took as we motored about Lake Washington, Lake Union, and out through the locks to Puget Sound. All of the photos were taken from within the boat though.

We did spend the night at the Bell Street Marina on Elliot Bay (salt water) and I had hoped that they might have surveillance video. Unfortunately, as Progressive dragged their feet regarding what their intentions were and what they wanted, the DVR at the marina had overwritten any video that was shot on the date we were there. Also, the Bell St Marina's security is under jurisdiction of the US Coast Guard and thus Homeland Security. They wouldn't have released the video to me unless I had a subpoena.
kefgenr is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 PM
  #36  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,801
Default

Originally Posted by kefgenr View Post
Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the hull prior to the damage.

I do have pictures that my wife and I took as we motored about Lake Washington, Lake Union, and out through the locks to Puget Sound. All of the photos were taken from within the boat though.

We did spend the night at the Bell Street Marina on Elliot Bay (salt water) and I had hoped that they might have surveillance video. Unfortunately, as Progressive dragged their feet regarding what their intentions were and what they wanted, the DVR at the marina had overwritten any video that was shot on the date we were there. Also, the Bell St Marina's security is under jurisdiction of the US Coast Guard and thus Homeland Security. They wouldn't have released the video to me unless I had a subpoena.
You should have left the boat at Bell Street, it is better protected than Kirkland.
BadgerS is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:51 PM
  #37  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 33
Default

And go to a prison cell with Bubba for Arson and Insurance Fraud ?
kefgenr is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:57 PM
  #38  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,920
Default

IMO, if Progressive agreed to insure the boat for an "agreed value" of $17,000, and the OP paid the premium, Progressive should Pay!

They took his money, and now they don't want to pay............It's attorney time!
Aaron43 and Smokeyr67 like this.
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 08:00 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Posts: 1,375
Default

Originally Posted by kefgenr View Post
Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the hull prior to the damage.

I do have pictures that my wife and I took as we motored about Lake Washington, Lake Union, and out through the locks to Puget Sound. All of the photos were taken from within the boat though.

We did spend the night at the Bell Street Marina on Elliot Bay (salt water) and I had hoped that they might have surveillance video. Unfortunately, as Progressive dragged their feet regarding what their intentions were and what they wanted, the DVR at the marina had overwritten any video that was shot on the date we were there. Also, the Bell St Marina's security is under jurisdiction of the US Coast Guard and thus Homeland Security. They wouldn't have released the video to me unless I had a subpoena.
What boat owner doesnít have pics of their pride and joy? I have multiple pics of all of the boats Iíve owned. Every boat owner I know is the same way. Didnít you have to send some pics to the insurance to get the agreed value policy?
Judd, crossthread, mdees88 and 1 others like this.
81Malibu is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 08:07 PM
  #40  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 2,480
Default

Progressive is owned by who again? And you seriously expect fair treatment?
Flycableguy likes this.
Flying_Norseman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread