Notices
The Boating Forum

2000 OX66 no transferring oil

Old 06-09-2017, 10:55 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 OX66 no transferring oil

Got low oil light and alarm. Manual fill up switch worked fine and motor did fine after that but got back to ramp and engine tank low again.

On my gauges, when turn key on everything lights up then low oil flashed for 30 secs to a minute, the middle light flashes continuously. Full light does not come on even when engine take is manually filled up.

Thoughts?
Old 06-09-2017, 11:51 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hinesville GA
Posts: 5,036
Received 811 Likes on 414 Posts
Default

Probably the tank level switch, check the wiring grounds for corrosion fist.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:56 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Where is the ground?

Originally Posted by Gnrphil View Post
Probably the tank level switch, check the wiring grounds for corrosion fist.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 437
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

When was the last time you replaced the inline oil filter mounted on the side of the remote tank?

-- Tom
Old 06-09-2017, 08:15 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 12,174
Received 2,331 Likes on 1,371 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by palmetto1 View Post
Got low oil light and alarm. Manual fill up switch worked fine and motor did fine after that but got back to ramp and engine tank low again.

On my gauges, when turn key on everything lights up then low oil flashed for 30 secs to a minute, the middle light flashes continuously. Full light does not come on even when engine take is manually filled up.

Thoughts?
The left light flashing means the engine mounted main oil tank is low.

The middle light flashing means that the boat mounted remote tank is low on oil. Or the computer thinks it is low.

The right light being illuminated means that the boat mounted remote tank has enough oil in it for the automatic transfer system to function. It says nothing about the oil level in the main tank.

When the boat mounted remote oil tank is low, and the middle light is flashing, the system stops the automatic transfer of oil. Some oil remains in the tank so that it can be forced to the main tank via the use of the toggle switch.

If the remote tank is full of oil, but the right light is off and the middle light is flashing, fix the wiring. 99 percent of the time it will be a connector in the harness that runs from the motor to the remote oil tank.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:54 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: richmond va usa
Posts: 826
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default

Either the tiny inline filter at tank is clogged or wire connections corroded these are # 1 & 2 common issues
Old 06-10-2017, 06:43 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 12,174
Received 2,331 Likes on 1,371 Posts
Default

If the inline filter at the remote tank were clogged then the OP would have trouble transferring oil using the override switch. He says the manual fill up switch works just fine. Leads me to believe the filter is not clogged.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:22 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East Falmouth
Posts: 519
Likes: 0
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stripertom View Post
When was the last time you replaced the inline oil filter mounted on the side of the remote tank?

-- Tom
Alloyboy is right but....

Check this also. Dont ask me how I know. Change it every season to be safe.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:53 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 437
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Keep in mind the inline filter will become increasingly clogged over time, so in effect it is slowly restricting more and more oil from flowing when signaled by the engine.

At first you wouldn't notice, because it will still be pumping enough to "keep up" with demand, but eventually it will get to the point where it will still flow, but not fast enough to maintain the engine mounted tank at the proper levels.

-- Tom
Old 06-10-2017, 08:47 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 12,174
Received 2,331 Likes on 1,371 Posts
Default

The filter and system is somewhat testable.

Drain the main oil tank by removing the sight sump. Reinstall and secure the sump. Ensure the remote tank is full of oil. Turn the key to the on position only. The pump will start to run. The pump will run for 3 minutes or until the main tank is refilled. If the main tank refills in less than three minutes that is a sign that the pump and the filter are in good working order.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:23 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East Falmouth
Posts: 519
Likes: 0
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Didn't know that three minute thing
Old 06-10-2017, 12:47 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hinesville GA
Posts: 5,036
Received 811 Likes on 414 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by markd3682 View Post
Didn't know that three minute thing
Me either, that's good to know and an easy test of the system.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:43 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

From what I had read the 3rd bar not being lit means the remote tank was low (though it was full) and when low the auto transfer does not function.

I pulled the sensor out of the remote tank and disconnected/reconnected and everything worked perfectly yesterday including having all three bars lit. Not sure if float/sensor was stuck or wiring issue. Guess we will see if it come back. Won't surprise me if it does and sensor or wiring is the problem.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:05 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seminole FL
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
The left light flashing means the engine mounted main oil tank is low.

The middle light flashing means that the boat mounted remote tank is low on oil. Or the computer thinks it is low.

The right light being illuminated means that the boat mounted remote tank has enough oil in it for the automatic transfer system to function. It says nothing about the oil level in the main tank.

When the boat mounted remote oil tank is low, and the middle light is flashing, the system stops the automatic transfer of oil. Some oil remains in the tank so that it can be forced to the main tank via the use of the toggle switch.

If the remote tank is full of oil, but the right light is off and the middle light is flashing, fix the wiring. 99 percent of the time it will be a connector in the harness that runs from the motor to the remote oil tank.
this. When i had problems with my middle light flashing (even though it was full) ii cleaned the 4 wire connector at the remote tank. that worked for a few months. I had the issue again so i replaced the level sensor, about $115.

You can download the owners manual online. it will tell you what each light on the gauge is for.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.