Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Copying a 31 Bertram in Quepos Costa Rica

Notices
Like Tree360Likes

Copying a 31 Bertram in Quepos Costa Rica

Old 06-07-2019, 06:56 PM
  #981  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,103
Default

I totally understand that. Hell I'm afraid if I ever visited Costa Rica I'd never leave. I dont understand how they dont have the same issues with immigration that the states do.
doradohunter is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 PM
  #982  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,466
Default

Originally Posted by doradohunter View Post
I totally understand that. Hell I'm afraid if I ever visited Costa Rica I'd never leave. I dont understand how they dont have the same issues with immigration that the states do.
jobs
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 09:39 PM
  #983  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Quepos Costa Rica
Posts: 3,727
Default

Originally Posted by N2theblue View Post
jobs
I bet we they have just as many immigrants here as in the states (relative to country size). There are Venezuelans EVERYWHERE right now. I bet all of them that had any money at all came here. Every one does the exact same thing too. They go to TicoCar (a car sales agency in San Jose) and they take out the super high interest loan (think credit card rates) and do Uber. When I fly to San Jose for short day trips I uber around everywhere, and 8 out of 10 Uber drivers is an illegal Venezuelan. God bless them though, Venezuela sucks and they be starving if they weren't here. But man I wish there were better driving schools in Venezuela

And you can't drive a mile without seeing a Nicaraguan cutting grass with a machete! I can't talk too much smack about Nicaraguans though as I have an adopted girl that is from there...she's 15 and can probably kick my butt now (I have her in boxing lessons every night)....

Last edited by SailFishQuepos; 06-07-2019 at 09:44 PM.
SailFishQuepos is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 06:33 AM
  #984  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 2,989
Default

Your crazy you will never get the income from the sale that you make now. Promote someone in your organization or find someone to take up some of the work. Chances are one or two of your kids may want to run it eventually.
TIG-it likes this.
captpepin is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 07:52 AM
  #985  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Caracas Venezuela
Posts: 184
Default

If a Venezuelan with TOO Much momey makes you an offer you can refuse, RUN, its Radioactive chavista money !
alacrity and gofastsandman like this.
sangria1 is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 09:23 AM
  #986  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,396
Default

Originally Posted by captpepin View Post
Your crazy you will never get the income from the sale that you make now. Promote someone in your organization or find someone to take up some of the work. Chances are one or two of your kids may want to run it eventually.
Selfishly speaking Hate to lose John as the THT Costa connection . You are a great contributor though I'm sure you'll still be around .
ed d is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 11:33 AM
  #987  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Quepos Costa Rica
Posts: 3,727
Default

Originally Posted by ed d View Post
Selfishly speaking Hate to lose John as the THT Costa connection . You are a great contributor though I'm sure you'll still be around .
I'm neither leaving Costa Rica or THT. Honestly, I would hope the new buyer turns me loose with the crew and that 31 Bertram mold. In the listing I said I would oversee the construction of the first one for free, so this might be the quickest way to get another ground up build going on here. I can't believe how many messages and phone calls I have gotten from buyers at this point (and the only place I put it was here and another forum yesterday), I have planned a bunch of ads in all the fishing magazines so I may need to hire a couple of people to answer phones soon when those go out next month. The common thread is they pretty much all want me involved so I hoping the one that finally buys feels that way too. Lots of people sell business when they are tired of them, and I was like that when I sold my carwash in Houston. But this is something I still love and I hope I get to stay around it forever. I really hope a THT person buys the business as well because this is where all the real boat people are. It wouldn't be fun seeing a person that isn't in love with boats running the biggest fleet in this part of Costa Rica. I want the buyer to understand what this is enough so they are as excited about it as I have always been.

Last edited by SailFishQuepos; 06-08-2019 at 11:39 AM.
SailFishQuepos is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 05:58 PM
  #988  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 1,896
Default

Originally Posted by sangria1 View Post
If a Venezuelan with TOO Much momey makes you an offer you can refuse, RUN, its Radioactive chavista money !
Good ol' socialism.
Argon is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 PM
  #989  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 424
Default

Let me be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby!
sullivan504 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:15 PM
  #990  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Quepos Costa Rica
Posts: 3,727
Talking

Originally Posted by sullivan504 View Post
Let me be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby!
Thanks, it's number 5 and we almost called this one surprise. Those dang pills are 99.9 percent effective... Might have to think of other ways to close the factory....
SailFishQuepos is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:54 AM
  #991  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 750
Default

Congratulations on number 5 and I'm sorry

Wouldn't life insurance be a better option for making sure that your family is taken care of in the event of your untimely demise?
NOLA Rick is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:35 AM
  #992  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 163
Default

Originally Posted by NOLA Rick View Post
Congratulations on number 5 and I'm sorry

Wouldn't life insurance be a better option for making sure that your family is taken care of in the event of your untimely demise?
Honestly, this is something to consider no matter which way you go ( I am NOT an insurance salesman! ). Having life and disability insurance is a good way to ensure your family is provided for. Sucks to pay the premiums but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. And, your likely take home pay difference would more than cover it. Plus you get to keep living your dream.

Maybe consider taking on a financial partner to help grow the business and lift some of the burden off of you?
NOLA Rick likes this.
jwlsh is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 06:33 AM
  #993  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,466
Default

Originally Posted by jwlsh View Post
Honestly, this is something to consider no matter which way you go ( I am NOT an insurance salesman! ). Having life and disability insurance is a good way to ensure your family is provided for. Sucks to pay the premiums but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. And, your likely take home pay difference would more than cover it. Plus you get to keep living your dream.

Maybe consider taking on a financial partner to help grow the business and lift some of the burden off of you?
Disability insurance can be an absolutes life saver. It saved us when my Dad lost his leg due to a dissected aorta.
NOLA Rick likes this.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:00 AM
  #994  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Quepos Costa Rica
Posts: 3,727
Default

Yes, the life insurance route does sound good too, I will do that as well.

Wow, the activity on this thing is crazy, but it looks like I'm going to get to stay on for quite a while with the new owners, so i may get to have my charter fleet (or at least control of it) and get the house for the wife. I'm really excited because a few of my really good customers are wanting to buy it, and they are as much fishing fanatics as I am. And they all said they wanted me for at least two years, so that works great for me, and I'm sure I can haggle a few more years after that if we keep the boats running and catching fish Quite a few of the guys say they want me to build the Bertram for them too, so looks like we might have a 31 Bert build soon!!!
The Woo and 2TDave like this.
SailFishQuepos is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 02:29 PM
  #995  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 1,896
Default

Originally Posted by SailFishQuepos View Post
Yes, the life insurance route does sound good too, I will do that as well.

Wow, the activity on this thing is crazy, but it looks like I'm going to get to stay on for quite a while with the new owners, so i may get to have my charter fleet (or at least control of it) and get the house for the wife. I'm really excited because a few of my really good customers are wanting to buy it, and they are as much fishing fanatics as I am. And they all said they wanted me for at least two years, so that works great for me, and I'm sure I can haggle a few more years after that if we keep the boats running and catching fish Quite a few of the guys say they want me to build the Bertram for them too, so looks like we might have a 31 Bert build soon!!!
First of all, congrats on the fifth kid.

I'm going to +1 the life and disability insurance. That stuff is well worth the piece of mind given the family you have.
Argon is offline  
Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 AM
  #996  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Following
Hemmer is offline  
Old 07-18-2019, 07:43 AM
  #997  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,103
Default

Any updates?
doradohunter is offline  
Old 07-18-2019, 04:19 PM
  #998  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 472
Default

Hoping to post the 1000th reply....
74lbSteve is offline  
Old 07-18-2019, 04:20 PM
  #999  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 472
Default

OK, here's 999.....
74lbSteve is offline  
Old 07-18-2019, 04:20 PM
  #1000  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 472
Default

And, ladies and gents, for your gratification, here's #1000!
74lbSteve is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread