Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Copying a 31 Bertram in Quepos Costa Rica

Notices
Like Tree330Likes

Copying a 31 Bertram in Quepos Costa Rica

Old 02-15-2019, 12:16 PM
  #921  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 87
Default

jpniewski is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 06:58 PM
  #922  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Quepos Costa Rica
Posts: 3,697
Default

Originally Posted by KrazyKona View Post
What a fantastic job. Looks great!

How about Neon Crocodile for a name? Kind of a combination of the color of the boat, which happens to resemble Crayola's "neon carrot" color, and one of Costa Rica's apex predators.
Haha. Carrot would be funny too. I can just see laughing as the see the name when they walk by. But maybe I had too much sun today. Some days are productive and some days are not. Today was a not...
KrazyKona likes this.
SailFishQuepos is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 03:36 AM
  #923  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 2,734
Default

In the pic how much fuel does the boat have in her it looks like you did lighten her up entire exhaust is out of the water.
captpepin is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 04:46 AM
  #924  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Quepos Costa Rica
Posts: 3,697
Default

Originally Posted by captpepin View Post
In the pic how much fuel does the boat have in her it looks like you did lighten her up entire exhaust is out of the water.
Ha, I have no idea. I put 200 bucks in yesterday to test it out, but I have not checked how much fuel is in the boat yet. I'm sure it's a hair lighter, but most of the weight is in the hull and decks and I didn't touch that.
SailFishQuepos is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 06:30 PM
  #925  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,083
Default


doradohunter is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:19 PM
  #926  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Republic of DelMarVa
Posts: 277
Default

Next project should be an upgraded trailer
Yellow Fever is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:40 PM
  #927  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Quepos Costa Rica
Posts: 3,697
Default

Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Next project should be an upgraded trailer
Yes, that is a great idea. I'm going to send the camera girl tomorrow with the Blue Daze, they are headed offshore. Hopefully I'll get some good pictures. I went out with the drone about a week ago, and I have it loaned out to a skate team in San Jose, and they came in to town and we went out to take video, and the controller was dead so I didn't get anything. I have a friend getting married on the boat in a week and I'm going to try to have a drone out to get a shot or two. I'll find something to post up here.

A have been getting lots of PM's with pictures of my boat though, I just got the real transom sticker in but I haven't put it on the back yet....




Another THT'er (I think, I got a whats app from a number I don't know) sent me over this picture too. This is us next to our friendly neighborhood lady of the night at night....



That's the famous Skip Smith there in the back I think. I've tried to talk with him a couple of times, he's always too busy though. Poor guy, it's amazing how many people stop by his boat and want to talk to him though, it's like a steady stream of people. I'm glad I'm not famous...
The Woo and gfdriscoll like this.

Last edited by SailFishQuepos; 03-12-2019 at 07:57 PM.
SailFishQuepos is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 02:08 AM
  #928  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,333
Default

Gotta be a trade off for Living The Dream!
i’ll take his place anytime!
The Woo is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 06:13 PM
  #929  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: St. Petersburg FL
Posts: 687
Default

But you are famous pal!! We all love your builds and skills. Rag’s
Ragtop409 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 10:07 AM
  #930  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 370
Default

When you get caught up, and rested a bit, you might want to swap in a set of injectors. There are different sizes, I believe N30-N90 from what I remember. You can buy them rebuilt and swap them in a day. A clean spray pattern from new injector nozzles would make the engines run best. Both smoothest and most efficient.

It is easy to swap injectors, but you have to know what you are doing when adjusting the valves and injectors. Leaving a loose locknut can cause the engine to throw a connecting rod, so always be super careful and only let a super competent mechanic work under the valve covers. Otherwise, you and your crew are an inspiration to down to earth boaters everywhere.
alacrity likes this.
c1steve is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 10:52 AM
  #931  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Quepos Costa Rica
Posts: 3,697
Default

Originally Posted by c1steve View Post
When you get caught up, and rested a bit, you might want to swap in a set of injectors. There are different sizes, I believe N30-N90 from what I remember. You can buy them rebuilt and swap them in a day. A clean spray pattern from new injector nozzles would make the engines run best. Both smoothest and most efficient.

It is easy to swap injectors, but you have to know what you are doing when adjusting the valves and injectors. Leaving a loose locknut can cause the engine to throw a connecting rod, so always be super careful and only let a super competent mechanic work under the valve covers. Otherwise, you and your crew are an inspiration to down to earth boaters everywhere.
Sounds dangerous. Sounds like I need to tinker under those covers
SailFishQuepos is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM
  #932  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 370
Default

If you read the manual, it is not difficult to adjust the valves and "time" the injectors. You need the tool, J139 I believe, which is about $15. If you take your time, and do this while rested, your engines will run at peak performance and you will have learned a lot. After adjuting all the valves and timing or replacing the injectors, go over each lock nut and double check that they are tight. Then, go over each one again, to be completely sure.

DD uses unitized injectors which sample fuel from a 60 psi internal fuel rail. The injectors boost the pressure to 2,250 psi or so, plus do the actual spraying. Adjusting the injectors with the tool is not much harder than adjusting valves. At each cylinder you adjust two valves or valve pairs, plus adjusted the injector which is "timing" it. Then you move to the next cylinder and do the same thing.

When swapping the injectors, you unbolt them and pop in the new/rebuilt ones. Then adjusted using the tool.

Installation of an Algae-x magnetic fuel conditioner would also be a great and simple upgrade. This pretty much kills off any growing algae in the fuel with no adverse problems. However the boat probably has custom fuel hoses and rather than cutting the hoses you would need to order two replacement hoses per engine.
c1steve is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 12:43 PM
  #933  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Quepos Costa Rica
Posts: 3,697
Default

Originally Posted by c1steve View Post
If you read the manual, it is not difficult to adjust the valves and "time" the injectors. You need the tool, J139 I believe, which is about $15. If you take your time, and do this while rested, your engines will run at peak performance and you will have learned a lot. After adjuting all the valves and timing or replacing the injectors, go over each lock nut and double check that they are tight. Then, go over each one again, to be completely sure.

DD uses unitized injectors which sample fuel from a 60 psi internal fuel rail. The injectors boost the pressure to 2,250 psi or so, plus do the actual spraying. Adjusting the injectors with the tool is not much harder than adjusting valves. At each cylinder you adjust two valves or valve pairs, plus adjusted the injector which is "timing" it. Then you move to the next cylinder and do the same thing.

When swapping the injectors, you unbolt them and pop in the new/rebuilt ones. Then adjusted using the tool.

Installation of an Algae-x magnetic fuel conditioner would also be a great and simple upgrade. This pretty much kills off any growing algae in the fuel with no adverse problems. However the boat probably has custom fuel hoses and rather than cutting the hoses you would need to order two replacement hoses per engine.

Super great info, but, where do I buy the tool. I search on google and ebay and came up with nothing?
SailFishQuepos is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:22 PM
  #934  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 370
Default

https://www.toolsource.com/misc-c-31...-p-242206.html
Double check this in the manual, but pretty sure this is the one.
c1steve is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:13 PM
  #935  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 24
Default

When you go to fire up the engines after adjusting the racks, make sure you have a phone book or strong clip board. Misadjusted racks WILL cause those 2 stroke DD's to runaway, and the only way to stop it is to cut off the air supply. If it takes off screaming, slap the phone book over the intake and it'll stall.
Bryan A., RTime, NOLA Rick and 1 others like this.
cjones1991 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM
  #936  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: coral gables, florida
Posts: 4,817
Default

Originally Posted by cjones1991 View Post
When you go to fire up the engines after adjusting the racks, make sure you have a phone book or strong clip board. Misadjusted racks WILL cause those 2 stroke DD's to runaway, and the only way to stop it is to cut off the air supply. If it takes off screaming, slap the phone book over the intake and it'll stall.
this is hilarious. sounds like you would know this specific fix from experience. certainly it is not in the manual.
Bryan A. likes this.
alacrity is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:55 PM
  #937  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 726
Default

Man, I guess I missed that part where you said the boat had Jimmy diesels. Get used to the Detroit slobber.
NOLA Rick is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:58 PM
  #938  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Westbrook, CT USA
Posts: 1,348
Default

Been there. Had a 671 run away on our old boat after the new owner “adjusted “ the cables.

I had to manually pull the air box on the side of the engine and it took a few seconds to stop.
Bryan A. is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 03:12 PM
  #939  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 726
Default

Originally Posted by Bryan A. View Post
Been there. Had a 671 run away on our old boat after the new owner “adjusted “ the cables.

I had to manually pull the air box on the side of the engine and it took a few seconds to stop.
That'll get yer blood pumping.
cjones1991 likes this.
NOLA Rick is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 03:47 PM
  #940  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 10,053
Default

Originally Posted by NOLA Rick View Post
Man, I guess I missed that part where you said the boat had Jimmy diesels. Get used to the Detroit slobber.
They need crank case ventilation, but even that wont stop the weeping altogether.
NOLA Rick likes this.
gofastsandman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread