Notices
The Boating Forum

Invincible Cat?

Old 05-05-2017, 07:55 AM
  #441  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,529
Likes: 0
Received 2,101 Likes on 1,214 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by seawolff View Post
Sounds great is this your next sled ???
We all want higher cruising speed and the most efficient fuel mileage possible so we can have maximum range. The only downside i see now is cost. I will make that decision in the summer when the new boat starts to be built.
Rod27 is offline  
Old 05-05-2017, 08:15 AM
  #442  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,744
Received 305 Likes on 192 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BSpot View Post
the 350 and 400 weigh the same, 668#.
I think when he's talking about weight he means the weight of the boat. I get what he's saying and it's interesting that mercury racing told him that. I guess that's why you only see little MPH changes on twin engine boats with higher horsepower. But triple and quad boats see a bigger MPH jump with adding more horsepower.
Pipo6007 is offline  
Old 05-05-2017, 08:36 AM
  #443  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: OCNJ
Posts: 811
Likes: 0
Received 294 Likes on 149 Posts
Default

I think that's a great setup for the 42.....might be a bit overkill on the 37 but everyone has there preferences.....
Kidzdent is offline  
Old 05-05-2017, 09:33 AM
  #444  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Posts: 1,674
Likes: 0
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by omnifish View Post
sorry for maybe the ignorant question- but is there a relation to top end speed- and a higher cruise (most efficient mpg) speed? (does a boat that can reach 80mph cruise more efficiently at 40... compared to a boat that can only reach 60 or 70mph?)

I understand the cool factor of saying- "I have a 42' boat that can go 80".... but I don't kingfish (shots fired! haha), and would rather cruise comfortable around 40 and get better mileage. wondering the correlation.

currently fishing a Contender 35T with twin Yam 350's out of the Tampa Bay area and cover a lot of water in tournaments- but have to have bladders, which take up deck space.
Typically yes, but it depends more on the setup (boat, engines, props, load, etc.) rather than just the top speed (and fuel burn) and the cruise speed (and fuel burn).

If you have more horsepower than a very similar boat with less, then you are going to be able to *typically* work your motors less to achieve an equivalent speed in the other boat, and getting faster speeds at the same load (and mpg) as the other boat.

Gimme a second and Ill find examples
Reel Costa is offline  
Old 05-05-2017, 09:53 AM
  #445  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 163
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Reel Costa View Post
Typically yes, but it depends more on the setup (boat, engines, props, load, etc.) rather than just the top speed (and fuel burn) and the cruise speed (and fuel burn).

If you have more horsepower than a very similar boat with less, then you are going to be able to *typically* work your motors less to achieve an equivalent speed in the other boat, and getting faster speeds at the same load (and mpg) as the other boat.

Gimme a second and Ill find examples

that's what I figured, and I know prop size and pitch have a huge influence on it as well (speaking in terms of identical boats and motors so the field is even for this comparison).
we average about 1.2 fully tournament loaded,,, I'd much rather have a max speed at the lower end of the top speed spectrum and get a huge mileage range.

de-rail complete. thanks
omnifish is offline  
Old 05-05-2017, 11:39 AM
  #446  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 1,381
Likes: 0
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by omnifish View Post
that's what I figured, and I know prop size and pitch have a huge influence on it as well (speaking in terms of identical boats and motors so the field is even for this comparison).
we average about 1.2 fully tournament loaded,,, I'd much rather have a max speed at the lower end of the top speed spectrum and get a huge mileage range.

de-rail complete. thanks
This is why you have to really watch advertised specs. I've already asked INV for real world, fully loaded prop setup on a 39 trip 300 boat. I dont want a top speed prop, I want the setup (could be a mix of 3 and 4 blades) that will get her up and going an easy 40-45 with best efficiency. Rarely if ever will I be running around at 60-70 MPH winch is what the deliver them for.
Lead Change is offline  
Old 05-05-2017, 12:44 PM
  #447  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 6,208
Received 1,122 Likes on 538 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pipo6007 View Post
I think when he's talking about weight he means the weight of the boat. I get what he's saying and it's interesting that mercury racing told him that. I guess that's why you only see little MPH changes on twin engine boats with higher horsepower. But triple and quad boats see a bigger MPH jump with adding more horsepower.
I've never understood the allure of the Verado 400 except potentially for a racing application. Doesn't it produce exactly the same HP/SPEED as the Vrat 350 until you get into the stratospheric RPMs? Which to me implies racing or compensation.
Onewolf is offline  
Old 05-05-2017, 12:49 PM
  #448  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 1,567
Likes: 0
Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts
Default

I was talking about the total weight of the boat. 4 engines would work a lot less and you could get them to the higher rpm range which according to Mercury that's when you see the extra power. They told me not to bother. I'm sure if I had a contender 30st it would be a different story. A lot less weight to push.
houlester is offline  
Old 05-06-2017, 02:56 AM
  #449  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 277
Received 152 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
I've never understood the allure of the Verado 400 except potentially for a racing application. Doesn't it produce exactly the same HP/SPEED as the Vrat 350 until you get into the stratospheric RPMs? Which to me implies racing or compensation.
In my case it would be compensation In reality, I'd be looking more for range than speed, but still, it'd be nice to have a fishing boat that can show a clean pair of heels to the ski boat crowd
Smokeyr67 is offline  
Old 05-06-2017, 04:04 AM
  #450  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 292
Likes: 0
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
I've never understood the allure of the Verado 400 except potentially for a racing application. Doesn't it produce exactly the same HP/SPEED as the Vrat 350 until you get into the stratospheric RPMs? Which to me implies racing or compensation.
You're correct. It's for the speed demon. The extra power is made in the very high rpm range which means to eek out that extra 5mph you're consuming significantly more fuel. I too would want the best range possible to ever explore better fishing grounds.
iola69 is offline  
Old 05-16-2017, 08:34 PM
  #451  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Sup with the invinci-cat ?
Lucky007 is offline  
Old 05-16-2017, 09:41 PM
  #452  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 282
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Radio silence right now...should be soon if aforementioned timelines are correct.
Gulf is offline  
Old 05-17-2017, 10:19 AM
  #453  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,820
Received 583 Likes on 411 Posts
Default

We are on Double Secret Probation
Attached Images  
avalonandl is offline  
Old 05-18-2017, 02:30 PM
  #454  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 143
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lucky007 View Post
Sup with the invinci-cat ?
Building it................soooooooo nice
bigwavedave200 is offline  
Old 05-18-2017, 02:36 PM
  #455  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,530
Received 783 Likes on 550 Posts
Default

Is the invinciCat going with the new Zuke 350's?

That's why it's being tight lipped right now?
midcap is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 03:26 AM
  #456  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 277
Received 152 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Just a little bump in the hope of satisfying my hunger for more info
Smokeyr67 is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 05:07 AM
  #457  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
Received 879 Likes on 359 Posts
Default

There was a bunch of motor and prop talk above. My 37 has quad yamaha and cruises at 49 mph at .95. While latest quad merc 400 37 cruises at 59.5 at .95. These are loaded numbers. Both boats ran same props & pitch. Top end for me is 69-72. Top end on merc boat 82. So all the talk about the 400 not being for best cruise is off imo. Also yes we can run often at 50...
Sarasota Line X is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 09:11 AM
  #458  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 292
Likes: 0
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

cruising at 59 is insane. You guys must have some pretty uncontested waterways Would be awesome to be able to do that safely
iola69 is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 09:49 AM
  #459  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,239
Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sarasota Line X View Post
There was a bunch of motor and prop talk above. My 37 has quad yamaha and cruises at 49 mph at .95. While latest quad merc 400 37 cruises at 59.5 at .95. These are loaded numbers. Both boats ran same props & pitch. Top end for me is 69-72. Top end on merc boat 82. So all the talk about the 400 not being for best cruise is off imo. Also yes we can run often at 50...
We'd need #s on a boat with 350 verados to make a determination between the 400s and 350s at cruise. Impressive numbers though and 82 top end

Any idea what kind of fuel burn that 400 Verado boat is getting in the 45-50 mph range?
HurricaneBK is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 10:21 AM
  #460  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 301
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

When is Seawolf doing his test ride? I thought it was in May.
Bluebell38 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.