Notices
Like Tree22Likes

Regulator 28'

Old 01-19-2016, 03:23 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Default Regulator 28'

I am considering the purchase of a 28' Regulator.....Looking for any and all comments about this boat.
redrobbins is offline  
Old 01-19-2016, 03:40 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,862
Default

Let me get this out of the way: buy a freeman.

I've never ridden on one but I currently own a 32 and if I were to downsize, the 28 is what I would get. Moving up would be the 34.
Steiger23 and mdman352 like this.
timothyj is offline  
Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,961
Default

Originally Posted by redrobbins View Post
I am considering the purchase of a 28' Regulator.....Looking for any and all comments about this boat.
Very well built and heavy boat. I saw the 28 Regulator at the Miami show last year and was very impressed. Good luck, they are very nice boats.
MilesExpress is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 08:03 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 161
Default

IMHO she is the best 28 on the market. Regulator now mounts their engines on brackets made by Armstrong which increase engine efficiency by moving the props away from hull turbulence, lengthen the running surface, and increase the usable cockpit space. The 28 actually has a LOA of 32’6" which allowed Regulator to discontinue the old 32 (which had engines mounted on the transom). Her 9’5"
Beam gives her plenty of stability and keeps you drier than most boats in her class. Regulators are incredibly well engineered and pricier than most, but well worth the investment.
34Regulator is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 10:08 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
BostonWhalerSeaHunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Durham/Indian Beach NC
Posts: 1,499
Default

I can't speak about the ride, build quality, or fishability, but I will say that regs are the prettiest boats on the water.
BostonWhalerSeaHunt is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 10:40 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: At the Ledge
Posts: 2,081
Default

Great riding solid boat, only thing i really dislike is the smaller gas tank (225 gallons) compared to the older 29 with 285 and the 32 with 310 gallons. i don't believe the boat itself is as efficient as the yamaha performance reports claims it to be(when you load the boat down to fish). i know of a few guys running a extra bladder in the front for longer trips such as overnighters,swordfishing, etc.
gafish912 is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 11:02 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 732
Default

I've spent a fair amount of time on it at the dealer and boat shows, but no water testing. The one issue I have with the 28 is that the cockpit is small for such a big 28. This is because the forward seating area is long and the console is also pretty big. The tradeoff is that you have a bunch of room and storage in the bow and the ride at the helm is probably better being further back. The boxes in the transom also bother me slightly as there is no gutter. These boxes were meant to be livewells, but if you wanted to use them for dry storage for ropes, etc, you can't. Overall, it's a pretty boat with a deep hull that I would love to run if given the chance.
spearfish25 likes this.
arosmarin is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 12:44 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location:
Posts: 913
Default

Fished the canyons on a buddies 28 Reg several times.

Positives- Surprisingly fast, solid ride, excellent fit and finish, surprisingly efficient on fuel for the weight, good bow space for fishing off bow, great looking boat, manageable enough beam to trailer- He sold it for a great price, showing the quality of the make with respect to resale value.

Negative- Tends to launch out of the water a bit and porpoise when seas kick up, not sure if this is a bracket thing? Very little cockpit space in the stern making trolling tough at times, pretty tipsy on the drift (24 degree deadrise will do that), too small a gas tank and needed a bladder for canyon safe runs, bracket is a PIA at times to fish around.

All in all a great boat. If going to cast primarily and run and gun fish, its a great boat for that purpose. If going to troll primarily, I found the minimal stern space, and bracket not desirable. Would also consider 28 Southport in this class. Nonetheless, the 28 Reg is a great boat.
Hepatitis Sea is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 01:39 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,061
Default

Love mine. Did about 50 offshore trips in it last year. Glad to answer any specific questions.
claluja is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 01:44 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Right Coast of Florida/E.Tennessee
Posts: 6,411
Default

Originally Posted by 34Regulator View Post
IMHO she is the best 28 on the market. Regulator now mounts their engines on brackets made by Armstrong which increase engine efficiency by moving the props away from hull turbulence, lengthen the running surface, and increase the usable cockpit space. The 28 actually has a LOA of 32’6" which allowed Regulator to discontinue the old 32 (which had engines mounted on the transom). Her 9’5"
Beam gives her plenty of stability and keeps you drier than most boats in her class. Regulators are incredibly well engineered and pricier than most, but well worth the investment.
All true.... except boats are not an investment.

I would suggest the OP look at a Southport for reasons of comparison.
DavenFla is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 04:13 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,862
Default

Originally Posted by Hepatitis Sea View Post
Fished the canyons on a buddies 28 Reg several times.

Positives- Surprisingly fast, solid ride, excellent fit and finish, surprisingly efficient on fuel for the weight, good bow space for fishing off bow, great looking boat, manageable enough beam to trailer- He sold it for a great price, showing the quality of the make with respect to resale value.

Negative- Tends to launch out of the water a bit and porpoise when seas kick up, not sure if this is a bracket thing? Very little cockpit space in the stern making trolling tough at times, pretty tipsy on the drift (24 degree deadrise will do that), too small a gas tank and needed a bladder for canyon safe runs, bracket is a PIA at times to fish around.

All in all a great boat. If going to cast primarily and run and gun fish, its a great boat for that purpose. If going to troll primarily, I found the minimal stern space, and bracket not desirable. Would also consider 28 Southport in this class. Nonetheless, the 28 Reg is a great boat.
Yep!!! ALL regulators porpoise. They mount the motors too low. The changes I've made to my 32 from the factory settings are night and day. Ppl buy these boats and "assume" they are setup the best way. Truth is, that is the furthest from the truth
griff12ga likes this.
timothyj is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 04:15 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,862
Default

Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
All true.... except boats are not an investment.

I would suggest the OP look at a Southport for reasons of comparison.
Or a freeman because everyone knows Freeman's are the best
timothyj is offline  
Old 01-05-2019, 02:55 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 319
Default

Reviving an old thread.

I just purchased a 2019 Reg 28. This comment that all Regulators porpoise is just ridiculous. You can make any outboard boat porpoise if youíve incorrectly adjusted trim. The 28 doesnít porpoise and thatís with Regulators factory engine setup. I can easily trim up the motors 3-6 bars on the Yamaha gauge depending on speed before Iíve over trimmed and the bow starts to porpoise. Thatís normal operation and perfectly acceptable.

For anyone who reads this and wants to know about Regulators, message me. Happy to discuss how I landed with mine. I couldnít be happier. The boat is a tank but can run near 60mph. The fit and finish is immaculate. There are some trade offs made when you opt for the stoutness of a Regulator. While my boat is faster than my friends 320Z SeaVee, he can get 2mpg cruise while my best is about 1.7mpg (in calm water). Regulator does skimp a bit on a few things. These are number and size of live wells, amount of in deck storage, and fuel tank size. The latter two are due to the over engineered stringer system which eats up under deck space. In return you get a more robust hull. The livewell issue would easily be solved if the transom fishbox could double as a livewell. The bilge is also massive and has a bucket holder system. Plenty of room for an in deck livewell if they so chose. Even the cooler in the seat in front of the console could have been plumbed. They had options but didnít exercise them.

Ive been amazed with the ride. Imagine taking a battle wagon sportfisher and breeding it with a center console. Out comes a Regulator. At a slow cruise of 32-36mph, the boat sits back on the transom slightly and raises the bow gently. You get a running attitude of a battle wagon and it just knocks down waves. As you throttle through 40moh, the attitude levels and moves forward, behaving more like a fast center console. WOT is without drama (feels planted and as if it would love another 100-200hp) and can give many twin engine hulls a run for their money. The Carolina bow flare makes for a very dry ride. My first time entering our main local pass was met by 3-5í megayacht wakes in the cut. The Reg split these like butter, walls of water being parted by the bow flare without any pounding, thumping or spray touching the family.

I have to say I like the platform bracket design. Euro transoms tend to leave very little usable space for diving and entering/exiting the boat from the transom. The door in the transom and bracket makes for lots of usable real estate for water activities and getting around back there. Some things I donít love are the midships under gunnel structural channels that impinge on the deck and are toe stubbers. I also got the table/casting platform in the bow which is big, heavy and requires changing the support tube between two lengths which becomes a two person job and a chore. Finally the in deck storage is impacted by the robust stringer system so you just donít get those massive in deck boxes along the gunnels that many other boats have. However there is a ton of space in the console if you donít try to keep it empty and open for head use.

In short, I love the boat. If I were only looking to fish and not have family comforts, Iíd look at a Freeman. Iíve never seen one in person though and theyíve discontinued their 29. That puts you at a 34 and really the next class up in boat size and price. As a family and fishing boat thatís as stout and well built as you can get, the Regulator is a winner.
spearfish25 is online now  
Old 01-05-2019, 04:42 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 604
Default

Nice to hear you are happy and enjoying the boat. Regulator builds incredible boats I loved my 32FS, it always impressed.
Greene Machine is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:15 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: OCNJ
Posts: 762
Default

Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Reviving an old thread.

I just purchased a 2019 Reg 28. This comment that all Regulators porpoise is just ridiculous. You can make any outboard boat porpoise if youíve incorrectly adjusted trim. The 28 doesnít porpoise and thatís with Regulators factory engine setup. I can easily trim up the motors 3-6 bars on the Yamaha gauge depending on speed before Iíve over trimmed and the bow starts to porpoise. Thatís normal operation and perfectly acceptable.

For anyone who reads this and wants to know about Regulators, message me. Happy to discuss how I landed with mine. I couldnít be happier. The boat is a tank but can run near 60mph. The fit and finish is immaculate. There are some trade offs made when you opt for the stoutness of a Regulator. While my boat is faster than my friends 320Z SeaVee, he can get 2mpg cruise while my best is about 1.7mpg (in calm water). Regulator does skimp a bit on a few things. These are number and size of live wells, amount of in deck storage, and fuel tank size. The latter two are due to the over engineered stringer system which eats up under deck space. In return you get a more robust hull. The livewell issue would easily be solved if the transom fishbox could double as a livewell. The bilge is also massive and has a bucket holder system. Plenty of room for an in deck livewell if they so chose. Even the cooler in the seat in front of the console could have been plumbed. They had options but didnít exercise them.

Ive been amazed with the ride. Imagine taking a battle wagon sportfisher and breeding it with a center console. Out comes a Regulator. At a slow cruise of 32-36mph, the boat sits back on the transom slightly and raises the bow gently. You get a running attitude of a battle wagon and it just knocks down waves. As you throttle through 40moh, the attitude levels and moves forward, behaving more like a fast center console. WOT is without drama (feels planted and as if it would love another 100-200hp) and can give many twin engine hulls a run for their money. The Carolina bow flare makes for a very dry ride. My first time entering our main local pass was met by 3-5í megayacht wakes in the cut. The Reg split these like butter, walls of water being parted by the bow flare without any pounding, thumping or spray touching the family.

I have to say I like the platform bracket design. Euro transoms tend to leave very little usable space for diving and entering/exiting the boat from the transom. The door in the transom and bracket makes for lots of usable real estate for water activities and getting around back there. Some things I donít love are the midships under gunnel structural channels that impinge on the deck and are toe stubbers. I also got the table/casting platform in the bow which is big, heavy and requires changing the support tube between two lengths which becomes a two person job and a chore. Finally the in deck storage is impacted by the robust stringer system so you just donít get those massive in deck boxes along the gunnels that many other boats have. However there is a ton of space in the console if you donít try to keep it empty and open for head use.

In short, I love the boat. If I were only looking to fish and not have family comforts, Iíd look at a Freeman. Iíve never seen one in person though and theyíve discontinued their 29. That puts you at a 34 and really the next class up in boat size and price. As a family and fishing boat thatís as stout and well built as you can get, the Regulator is a winner.
nice to hear....I have Hull #34 2012 with 600 hrs of canyon fishing in it....Not one stress crack, loose seam and all drawers and hatches shut like the day I bought it....the boat is as bullet proof as you can get....
spearfish25 likes this.
Kidzdent is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 11:41 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,702
Default

I almost bought a 28 Regulator. Absolutely loved the quality, fit and finish. But for me the livewell was ridiculously small for a 28' fishing boat. Whoever designs livewells for Regulator must not be a live bait fisherman. IMO all of their live wells are too small.
tarpononecharter is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 03:01 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 319
Default

No question a larger livewell system would be a nice option. They used to option a second livewell behind the leaning post but I imagine it ate up cockpit space or had low customer appeal leading to dropping the option. They could easily have plumbed the adjacent fishbox in the transom to be a second livewell. I have the refrigerated option on that box and itís actually darn nice, but a second livewell would be even better.

Hereís the new girl.



spearfish25 is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 03:50 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,702
Default

Gorgeous boat Spearfish!! I see you bought it from Bonita Boat Center so you must be in SWFL.
I made the comment about livewell size so many times that Regulator had to get the message. (As if they really care what I think). You're correct they could combine both boxes in the transom into a larger livewell and also get rid of that huge seat that folds into the transom. They could do a more compact seat that surface mounts rather than taking up valuable space inside the transom and probably get a 50 gallon livewell if they wanted to. Could even possibly reduce the depth of the entire bulkhead area and increase fishing area a bit. But what do I know.
Very nice boat!!
tarpononecharter is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 02:38 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 319
Default

Yep! Iím a Naples guy. Bonita Boat Center has been great.

They definitely had livewell options to exercise if they chose to. I think further north people just donít fish with live bait. Hell, even going from the Keys to Miami to West Palm, the sailfishing technique of choice changes from slow livebait trolling to kites to fast trolled dead baits.

While I like the convenience of the transom door, thatís another transom change that would net a lot more usable space if excluded.

The positives far outweigh the negatives though which is why I bought her. Sheís a heavy tank but still runs 60mph wide open. She cruises at equivalent mph to rpm (35mph/3500rpm, etc) throughout the range. Best calm water mpg is in the 1.6-1.8 range which given her weight and Ďshouldersí Iím very happy with. Even though the spacious console meant a slightly smaller fuel tank, more conservative 1.4mpg economy still nets 100mi runs to fishing spots leaving 1/3 tank in reserve. Good enough for me. And then the obvious...Iíve honestly never seen fit and finish this good on another boat. Anyone who knows boats but hasnít seen a Regulator needs to go walk one.
spearfish25 is online now  
Old 01-12-2019, 03:28 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 604
Default

That's a sharp rig, nice color combo along w/the powder coating. I sea trialed a 32 and 28 back to back in slightly choppy conditions and the 28 was definitely right there in ride. I really wish they did a little more to offer an open bow or at least casting access right at the bow. Everytime I see a Reg, I always look. They never get old!
spearfish25 likes this.
Greene Machine is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread