Notices

Siberian coolers?

Old 10-21-2015, 03:30 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 62
Default Siberian coolers?

I'm in the market for a new cooler and need one that has a max width under 29.5. The Engel
65 lists a length of 29.25, but the sticker on the front of the cooler has the length at 29.9 so it may not work

I came across the Siberian 64 which lists a length of 28.5 and is not too tall so would work for me. My concern is that it is a new company and I can't find any actual customer feedback on them. They are Chunese made and are also sold under the brand of Atlas and maybe others. I put build quality over ice retention ability. I don't plan to be out for a week, but cold beer all weekend is a must. My Igloo has failed me numerous times even after pre chilling the night before.

Here is a link to the Siberian site:

http://siberiancoolers.com
Kenneds203 is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malabar,FL
Posts: 1,919
Default

This is the same mold as Gatorbox. Go with Gatorbox. Excellent customer service. I have 8 of them. Ask for Travis
flntv is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 03:48 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,809
Default

pretty soon there won't be any good "cold, bear country, wilderness" names left to use. Kinda getting out of control, in my opinion.
coores14 is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 05:12 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 62
Default

Originally Posted by flntv View Post
This is the same mold as Gatorbox. Go with Gatorbox. Excellent customer service. I have 8 of them. Ask for Travis
Just checked their website. Their's are 100.00 cheaper than the Siberian! They are out of stock on the 63 right now, but the Gatorbox has moved to the top of my short list.
I appreciate the rec. !
Kenneds203 is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 05:14 AM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 62
Default

Originally Posted by coores14 View Post
pretty soon there won't be any good "cold, bear country, wilderness" names left to use. Kinda getting out of control, in my opinion.
With climate change, it will soon be mild bear country.
Kenneds203 is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 05:58 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Hagar TH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central Fl
Posts: 4,421
Default

OP if you have conflicting information, did you measure an actual cooler?
Hagar TH is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 07:47 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Too far from salt.
Posts: 10,061
Default

I like the looks (and price) of the Gatorbox. Did I miss any mention of a warranty?
DFreedom is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 08:06 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 40
Default

I still find it hard to believe that the 'cheap' ones are so expensive. It's just roto-molded plastic with insulation. I just don't get it.
MikeSanders is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 08:23 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: St Augustine, Fl
Posts: 829
Default

Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
I still find it hard to believe that the 'cheap' ones are so expensive. It's just roto-molded plastic with insulation. I just don't get it.
Trust me, I am in the plastics and foam insulation business....I can pretty much tell you what the material cost is...however, "build it and they will come" With that said, there are a lot of people out there that demand a structurally sound cooler, to stand on, sit on, and such. I get those buyers. But I have three neighbors who must have $2000 dollars worth of coolers between them and they just keep beer cold for a weekend....I have igloos that with blocks of ice last for 5 days, weigh a third of what those do and cost 90% less.
bluevein is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 09:20 AM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 62
Default

Originally Posted by Hagar TH View Post
OP if you have conflicting information, did you measure an actual cooler?
I do not have access to an Engel. Dealers can order them, but seem to only stock Yeti. I aske in a separate thread for an actual measurement. One member measured his at 29.5 which might not fit. You would think that the same mold would produce more precise dimensions, but there seems to be some variation.
Kenneds203 is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malabar,FL
Posts: 1,919
Default

Originally Posted by Kenneds203 View Post
Just checked their website. Their's are 100.00 cheaper than the Siberian! They are out of stock on the 63 right now, but the Gatorbox has moved to the top of my short list.
I appreciate the rec. !
He said new shipment comes in Dec. 20th. They sell quick.
flntv is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 04:25 PM
  #12  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 62
Default

Originally Posted by flntv View Post
He said new shipment comes in Dec. 20th. They sell quick.
Just in time for xmas! Thanks for checking. I shot him an email and he got right back to me.
How is the quality compared to a Yeti?
Kenneds203 is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 07:15 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Panama City Beach, FL...
Posts: 3,221
Default

Similar Price to RTIC (another cooler you can pre-order but can't get)
Reel Stamas is offline  
Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: clinton, mississippi
Posts: 2,156
Default

I bought engle on Amazon prime and got it in 2 days
stumprunner is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 02:17 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malabar,FL
Posts: 1,919
Default

Originally Posted by Kenneds203 View Post
Just in time for xmas! Thanks for checking. I shot him an email and he got right back to me.
How is the quality compared to a Yeti?
I have a Yeti also and they are just as good. Keeps ice for days and very strong
flntv is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 02:59 AM
  #16  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 62
Default

Originally Posted by flntv View Post
I have a Yeti also and they are just as good. Keeps ice for days and very strong
Good to know. The size is perfect for my needs. I called Engel yesterday and they measured the 65 while I was on the phone. Turns out it is 29.9 so will not work for me. Looks like I will be waiting until Dec.
Kenneds203 is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 12:31 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 214
Default

Seems like every one of this type of cooler is way, way overpriced, IMOH - for $600 most people could MAKE one, or even insulate a hold in their boat. Insulation costs very little, what we seem to be asked to pay for here is injection molded plastic, which, once it's tooled up does not cost that much either - and lots of glitzy targeted advertising!.
Captulric is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 12:32 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 20
Default

Originally Posted by Captulric View Post
Seems like every one of this type of cooler is way, way overpriced, IMOH - for $600 most people could MAKE one, or even insulate a hold in their boat. Insulation costs very little, what we seem to be asked to pay for here is injection molded plastic, which, once it's tooled up does not cost that much either - and lots of glitzy targeted advertising!.
I bet there's a couple Chinese guys laughing their rich butts off!
Dave5768 is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 12:36 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
williamwallus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SWFL, Midwest
Posts: 3,240
Default

Originally Posted by Dave5768 View Post
I bet there's a couple Chinese guys laughing their rich butts off!
Yep, I get that same mold shipped from china for $60
williamwallus is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 06:50 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tarpon Springs
Posts: 6,486
Default

Just got me a 50 qt Brutte Bison for $225
TwentyFourSeven is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread