Notices

Fluid Change Sticker Shock!!!!

Old 09-24-2015, 03:51 PM
  #21  
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
williamwallus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SWFL, Midwest
Posts: 3,240
Default

i need to stop working for a 6 pack of beers on the weekend... no wonder all my neighbors come to my dock and talk nonstop
williamwallus is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 03:53 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 158
Default

I am sorry, I just do not see how any oil change on any vehicle could take 15 hours of labor. Part of the intuitive design in any engine is being able to change the fluids without disassembling the whole freakin thing, which is what the guy could probably do with 15 hours of labor. I have found mechanics typically over quote hours on jobs; maybe a couple hours over actual time it takes is one thing, but 15 hours for fluids is crazy.
DeathToAllTermites is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 03:57 PM
  #23  
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
williamwallus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SWFL, Midwest
Posts: 3,240
Default

Originally Posted by DeathToAllTermites View Post
I am sorry, I just do not see how any oil change on any vehicle could take 15 hours of labor. Part of the intuitive design in any engine is being able to change the fluids without disassembling the whole freakin thing, which is what the guy could probably do with 15 hours of labor. I have found mechanics typically over quote hours on jobs; maybe a couple hours over actual time it takes is one thing, but 15 hours for fluids is crazy.
agree... mechanic is not a mechanic, lol. he's prly a swapper
williamwallus is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 04:04 PM
  #24  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Coral Gables
Posts: 3,161
Default

Originally Posted by JRS@OBX View Post
Don't wear a rolex when you ask a mechanic for a quote.
my mechanic wears a rolex?
Captllama is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 04:13 PM
  #25  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 2,060
Default

You can equate that to anything in life. If you pay to have it done and it is not extremely competitive pay a fortune or do it yourself.

Example, 1 month lawn service taking 4 hours / mo is $100 at 1 hour per cut
Trimming 4 large oak trees taking 4 hours is $1000

Granted, I could cut my grass but would not even consider the oaks.

Now, think you can do the fluid change yourself or get more quotes.
lobsdiver1 is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 04:23 PM
  #26  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,735
Default

Originally Posted by C Skip R View Post
Yes that is very close to what it use to cost me to have the Mans serviced for all the fluids. Started doing it myself after two years and reduced it to a little over $1200. Just oil is over $700, fuel filters about $350 and oil filters don't remember.
Me too. What do you mean by all fluids? Both mains, gear boxes, generator? More? Don't know how much you get down there but that alone involves 12 filters on my boat. Did they also do zincs? Air filters? Coolant? I'd love to do it all myself but I would have to add a day or two onto my vacations to try and get it done. Maybe when I retire...

I have told all my kids I think they should be diesel mechanics.
slipkid is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 04:23 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 158
Default

Originally Posted by lobsdiver1 View Post
You can equate that to anything in life. If you pay to have it done and it is not extremely competitive pay a fortune or do it yourself.

Example, 1 month lawn service taking 4 hours / mo is $100 at 1 hour per cut
Trimming 4 large oak trees taking 4 hours is $1000

Granted, I could cut my grass but would not even consider the oaks.

Now, think you can do the fluid change yourself or get more quotes.
I understand exactly where you are coming from, but last I checked I didn't need a bucket truck or climbing gear to mow my lawn. Dropping giant tree limbs from 30ft high takes on a heck of a higher liablity and risk and necessary equipment than trimming hedges and grass, hence the price gap.

To play on that metaphore, the guy shouldn't need an engine hoist and a well equipped machine shop to change fluids. I agree 100% though if you can't do it yourself, get more quotes.
DeathToAllTermites is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 04:50 PM
  #28  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 559
Default

Originally Posted by mikefloyd View Post
Is he coming to you by helicopter?
good one ! or maybe Lynnhaven Marine in Virginia beach is quoting him, i think the service department finally started wearing ski masks LOL
Scttboom is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 04:55 PM
  #29  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: south florida
Posts: 379
Default

Originally Posted by mikefloyd View Post
Is he coming to you by helicopter?
Haha! That would drive that price up!
ajmwahoo1115 is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 05:03 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, NC
Posts: 1,582
Default

Originally Posted by Captllama View Post
my mechanic wears a rolex?
He would after doing a few $3,000 fluid changes!
JRS@OBX is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 05:07 PM
  #31  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Baltimore,Maryland
Posts: 5,459
Default

Originally Posted by Scttboom View Post
good one ! or maybe Lynnhaven Marine in Virginia beach is quoting him, i think the service department finally started wearing ski masks LOL
Not the 1st. time I've heard that.
Lone Ranger is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 06:34 PM
  #32  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Smyrna Beach
Posts: 8,229
Default

Originally Posted by Captllama View Post
how is one of you doing this for 1200 while the other is doing it for 200? how different are your motors?
My engines are Man CR900's. My guess is he is not buying Man or Cat filters or oil they recommend. As stated my oil (Mobil One Delvac 5-40w) is approx. $36 a gal. x 18 gal for engines only not trans. Another 5-6 gls for transmissions. 6 - Fuel filters are about $350. 4 - Oil filters $200. The engine oil doesn't have to be changed for 400 hrs or 1 yr. It takes me about 8 hrs to change all even with my electric oil pump system.
C Skip R is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 06:40 PM
  #33  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Coral Gables
Posts: 3,161
Default

Originally Posted by C Skip R View Post
My engines are Man CR900's. My guess is he is not buying Man or Cat filters or oil they recommend. As stated my oil (Mobil One Delvac 5-40w) is approx. $36 a gal. x 18 gal for engines only not trans. Another 5-6 gls for transmissions. 6 - Fuel filters are about $350. 4 - Oil filters $200. The engine oil doesn't have to be changed for 400 hrs or 1 yr. It takes me about 8 hrs to change all even with my electric oil pump system.
Awesome info! Thanks

What filters are you using and where do you buy?
Captllama is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 06:54 PM
  #34  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Smyrna Beach
Posts: 8,229
Default

Originally Posted by Captllama View Post
Awesome info! Thanks

What filters are you using and where do you buy?
I buy from either Scott Marine Power in S. FL or Performance Diesel in TX. Unfortunately you cannot find Man engine parts except at authorized sales centers where they do not discount and prices between these sales centers are generally very close.
My fuel filters numbers are 1 - 51.12503.0052 and 2- 51.12503.0061 per engine.
C Skip R is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 08:27 PM
  #35  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lighthouse Point, Fl.
Posts: 2,305
Default

Originally Posted by Captllama View Post
how is one of you doing this for 1200 while the other is doing it for 200? how different are your motors?
I've heard these Detroits in their original non-turbo form were originally designed for the military's landing barges in the WW2 days; not fussy about fuel quality and will even run under water long as they could get air. I "feed" them nothing fancy; straight 40 weight with diesel rating; a buddy picks up when on sale at a Ft. Laud. wholesale Marine Supply, and Filters either through his account or I'll pick up NAPA at auto store or Wix online. Same routeen since the repower 15 yrs ago, and similer with the original Cummins. Never had any major engine failure since "cleaning my life," of boats with gas inboards thousands of engine hours ago.
SplashFL is online now  
Old 09-25-2015, 04:01 AM
  #36  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 36
Default

I have no idea when the last fluid change was done but its only 2 engines and 2 gears, no gens or anything. Im thinking any 15w-40 diesel oil will work. Diesels are Diesels and they are long past warranty. But yes...15hrs labor is ridiculous and the maximum round trip is 65.2 miles. that figures out to 97 dollars

Its actually Carter Machine in Chesapeake VA. My boat is in Hampton VA. BEWARE....
conchvolunteer is offline  
Old 09-25-2015, 05:25 AM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 770
Default

His labor charge probably starts when he leaves the shop and ends when he gets back... Plus the mileage charge.
Chpsk8 is offline  
Old 09-25-2015, 05:37 AM
  #38  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lighthouse Point, Fl.
Posts: 2,305
Default

Originally Posted by conchvolunteer View Post
I have no idea when the last fluid change was done but its only 2 engines and 2 gears, no gens or anything. Im thinking any 15w-40 diesel oil will work. Diesels are Diesels and they are long past warranty. But yes...15hrs labor is ridiculous and the maximum round trip is 65.2 miles. that figures out to 97 dollars

Its actually Carter Machine in Chesapeake VA. My boat is in Hampton VA. BEWARE....
I would get the recommended oil specs from Cat because I don't think a multi-vis is the correct oil. Been awhile but I once looked at it when I had the same thought but always only used straight 40. Same in the Onan but off hand I think 30 in the gears.
I did some oil analysis for a few years.... one was not enough as they said for best info you needed regular comparisons with same amount of hours.
SplashFL is online now  
Old 09-25-2015, 06:16 AM
  #39  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,810
Default

Originally Posted by JRS@OBX View Post
Don't wear a rolex when you ask a mechanic for a quote.
its funny you say that but you'd be surprised how many roll up in a new benz sporting a daytona and cry poor
bigjimmie is offline  
Old 09-25-2015, 06:22 AM
  #40  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere NC
Posts: 8,133
Default

Originally Posted by C Skip R View Post
Yes that is very close to what it use to cost me to have the Mans serviced for all the fluids. Started doing it myself after two years and reduced it to a little over $1200. Just oil is over $700, fuel filters about $350 and oil filters don't remember.
how much oil? Wow...
cfarmd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread