Notices
Like Tree1Likes

Guest Etiquette

Old 08-05-2015, 07:49 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 767
Default Guest Etiquette

I have begun the process of looking for a boat. Specifically I am looking at 19-21 ft. bay boats and CC open fisherman type boats. I have fished all my life but mostly fresh water and dont have a lot of experience with the CC or Bay Boats I am looking at. My intent is to get something I can take outside fishing on good days. I am in south east Florida so I dont need to go too far offshore which is why I am looking at the above mentioned options.

So, most of the great advice I have read here for my situation is to get out on different boats so I can get first hand experience. I have some friends with boats and who are great boatsmen and they will certainly be willing to take me out and help me learn.

My question is how much should I offer to kick in for fuel? The scenario will likely be something like this. I'll call a friend that I have known since we were kids but haven't really seen each other much in years. Our wives were best friends growing up so no discomfort in that, just laying out the story. He has a 22' CC. I have already told him I would be reaching out to him for advice. So I'll call him and tell him that if he is going out, I would love to go with him so I can get some experience on the water and he will love the idea. We would likely go looking for weed lines etc. but I really dont know how far we would be going.

I have another friend who has offered to go with me to look at boats and especially when I get serious. He has a similar boat and I will likely ask him to let me know when he goes out next.

I am going to want to offer them some money to help with the expense but I have no idea what is appropriate. Neither will ask for money and may not accept it but I think it is important to try to pitch in. Any suggestions?
Darylb23 is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,291
Default

Originally Posted by Darylb23 View Post
I have begun the process of looking for a boat. Specifically I am looking at 19-21 ft. bay boats and CC open fisherman type boats. I have fished all my life but mostly fresh water and dont have a lot of experience with the CC or Bay Boats I am looking at. My intent is to get something I can take outside fishing on good days. I am in south east Florida so I dont need to go too far offshore which is why I am looking at the above mentioned options.

So, most of the great advice I have read here for my situation is to get out on different boats so I can get first hand experience. I have some friends with boats and who are great boatsmen and they will certainly be willing to take me out and help me learn.

My question is how much should I offer to kick in for fuel? The scenario will likely be something like this. I'll call a friend that I have known since we were kids but haven't really seen each other much in years. Our wives were best friends growing up so no discomfort in that, just laying out the story. He has a 22' CC. I have already told him I would be reaching out to him for advice. So I'll call him and tell him that if he is going out, I would love to go with him so I can get some experience on the water and he will love the idea. We would likely go looking for weed lines etc. but I really dont know how far we would be going.

I have another friend who has offered to go with me to look at boats and especially when I get serious. He has a similar boat and I will likely ask him to let me know when he goes out next.

I am going to want to offer them some money to help with the expense but I have no idea what is appropriate. Neither will ask for money and may not accept it but I think it is important to try to pitch in. Any suggestions?

Going fishing, ask him what he wants for fuel. If he says no way, make him let you pay for the bait, ice, food and drinks for the boat.

Scenario 2 I wouldn't think any payment is necessary. It is fun going to look at boats and going on sea trials.
TorFed is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:04 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 939
Default

Does anyone here realize how much it costs and I am talking about all costs, to run a boat. When I am on some one elses boat I do my best to pay 100% of the gas, ice etc. I always get invited back. I am almost 80 and I have endless invites. I also know how to fish and have my own equipment.I help clean the boat, unload the boat etc.
Picaroon is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:20 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 767
Default

Great points guys. So if we go out for half the day is it $20, $50, $100? I know I can just ask but want to go into it with some idea so I can look like I know what I'm doing.
Darylb23 is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,922
Default

Originally Posted by TorFed View Post
Going fishing, ask him what he wants for fuel. If he says no way, make him let you pay for the bait, ice, food and drinks for the boat.

Scenario 2 I wouldn't think any payment is necessary. It is fun going to look at boats and going on sea trials.
I agree with TorFed above!
As for paying for expenses, you could just give him a $100 bill......he'll be happy!
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 789
Default

If I get invited on someones boat I won't even bring up money. I'd ask if they need anything, booze, food, etc. but that's it. Same thing goes when I invite people to go out on my boat. Depending on the situation I may say pack a lunch or I may bring lunch for everyone. I'd never in a million years ask someone for gas money.
rusty spoke is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:37 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4
Default

Since you are boat shopping and asking for advice anyway, it should be a natural transition to determine what your "fair share" of costs might be.

Ask questions about fuel tank size, how long does a full tank last, how much gas do you think we will use today... The answers you get should guide you to what the day is costing the owner.

Offer at least half of the fuel as a bare minimum since the fuel alone is only a small portion of the total operating cost and ALWAYS stick around to help clean the boat.

Remember, the more generous you are, the more likely you will be invited back.
BuoyCall is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:38 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mystic Island, NJ
Posts: 695
Default

If I go on someones boat I always ask to split the fuel/bait costs. Usually they turn me down, but I always offer.

Most importantly though, I always help scrub their boat and clean all gear. Even if they say don't worry about it. I'm pretty crazy about keeping the boats clean. Some of the guys I fishing with are not, so I know they appreciate me giving their boat a good scrub down as a thank you for taking me out.

I always get offers to fish. Must be from cleaning, cause I'm a terrible fisherman
SaltyShepherd is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:41 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mystic Island, NJ
Posts: 695
Default

Originally Posted by BuoyCall View Post
Since you are boat shopping and asking for advice anyway, it should be a natural transition to determine what your "fair share" of costs might be.

Ask questions about fuel tank size, how long does a full tank last, how much gas do you think we will use today... The answers you get should guide you to what the day is costing the owner.

Offer at least half of the fuel as a bare minimum since the fuel alone is only a small portion of the total operating cost and ALWAYS stick around to help clean the boat.

Remember, the more generous you are, the more likely you will be invited back.
That's too many questions for me. When I'm out with someone we're usually taking about fishing, or the next boat we'd like to buy or can't afford.

If it's an inshore trip I'll usually just hand them $50, which normally gets handed right back to me. Offshore, depending on the boat will be much more. And is accepted more often.
SaltyShepherd is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:47 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lantana, FL
Posts: 1,670
Default

Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
Does anyone here realize how much it costs and I am talking about all costs, to run a boat. When I am on some one elses boat I do my best to pay 100% of the gas, ice etc. I always get invited back. I am almost 80 and I have endless invites. I also know how to fish and have my own equipment.I help clean the boat, unload the boat etc.
Would you like to go fishing?
partyb is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:59 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 586
Default

I have a friend who won't accept money when we go on his boat. A 21' CC. We typically go out cruising/ fishing/ beaching with family (women & children). Since he won't take money I try to get all the beer, water, ice, and I'll leave some cash in his truck (cup holder) when he isn't looking. No specific amount, usually $20-$40. I have a boat so I know what it costs. That seems reasonable to me.
keithlinco is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 09:06 AM
  #12  
BSL
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 878
Default

picture of wives?
BSL is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 09:19 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sarasota
Posts: 3,549
Default

Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
Does anyone here realize how much it costs and I am talking about all costs, to run a boat. When I am on some one elses boat I do my best to pay 100% of the gas, ice etc. I always get invited back. I am almost 80 and I have endless invites. I also know how to fish and have my own equipment.I help clean the boat, unload the boat etc.
Why would you say that? The vast majority of posters own their own boats.
gumpire is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 09:37 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 257
Default

With you doc holiday I usually refuse but it's cool when ppl offer it's down right good I always just laugh n say I wanted to go fishing anyhow Now if I go with I'll offer to fuel boat back up or thier truck or I'll offer to tow thier boat most of the time if they refuse I'll buy the bait ice subs that sort of thing and usually I'm invited back I went on a paid charter and bs w the captain and he invited me to come back free just be proper sounds like you already know what's fair
Seanile27 is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 09:44 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 1,884
Default

For me it depends on the trip.

If we're going water skiing or fishing for a solid weekend and burn through 30-40 gallons of gas, splitting it is nice. If we're just going riding around the bay at trolling speeds looking at the sunset, I don't really expect gas money, but buying a round after the trip or offering to pay the boat ramp fee is appreciated.

FWIW I also consider the economics of who's with me. If it's someone with a solid job, I don't mind splitting. If it's a friend who's early in their career, just had a kid, etc I refuse any form of payment. When I was younger a lot of people took me diving at no charge because they could afford it and I really couldn't at that time, so I try to pay that back.
jj1987 is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 09:53 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,200
Default

When I run to the sandbar there is always a couple of guys that will drop a 50 or a 100 in my ditch bag. I don't ask and it is not really expected however getting a 35' to the water then running it all day is expensive so I also don't refuse.

When I go offshore we split fuel, bait, beer and food evenly.

If anyone of the crew is sporting a bikini she gets a free ride.
BlueRudy is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 10:17 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 5,895
Default

Originally Posted by BlueRudy View Post
If anyone of the crew is sporting a bikini she gets a free ride.
Born that way or 'identifies' as a she?
Cajunoxbowj likes this.
Onewolf is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 10:19 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,922
Default

Originally Posted by BSL View Post
picture of wives?
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 10:26 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 538
Default

EYE BLEACH PLEASE...
miktri is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North Palm Beach
Posts: 1,522
Default

Our boat runs 90% fishing trips and chipping in on gas is expected if you want a return invite. Too many people out there think a boat is like a car you just turn the key and it goes at 20mpg..Not the case.. On top of the $250 in fuel, $150 in bait, $50 in oil, $50 in tackle I will likely lose, $50 in sundries per trip. I'm spending another 6k or better a year in services, storage, insurance.

It adds up quick so I've got no problem taking 50-100 bucks per person for them to come fishing.
Liveactionfishing is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread