The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Like Tree178Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2015, 04:36 AM   #81
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Port Charlotte
Posts: 840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMyDay View Post
So which way is this one skinned? All the deflection has me more curious. If there's no plug then I'm guessing your boat will be the plug? Or, Gonna cold mold all of them? If it's a secret that's cool, just say so and that'll be that. I like the look of the renderings.
No disrespect Mako,
Jim is a true innovator in the composite construction world
Jim's vast knowledge and experience in tunnel boat / v bottom design is what intrigued me
I grew up river racing on the Peace river Hydro Streams-Allisons-Summerford STV then graduated to Douglas Skaters-Daves Custom Boats you get the idea,Then I got married had kids and all that fast stuff had to end.
I myself have self learned what works and doesn't
Jim has built and modified them all from tiller boats to Formula 1 to large sailing and offshore Race boats to Flats boats to offshore boats
The Egret line of boats Jim developed were and still are First in their class in quality and design

When the top custom sportfish and yacht builders need something large strong and light built they call Jim at Compmillennia

You should visit Jims website at www.compmillennia.com and read the history and accomplishments of Jim
You may become Intrigued as I was
raysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:20 AM   #82
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fayettenam
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysmith View Post
No disrespect Mako,
Jim is a true innovator in the composite construction world
Jim's vast knowledge and experience in tunnel boat / v bottom design is what intrigued me
I grew up river racing on the Peace river Hydro Streams-Allisons-Summerford STV then graduated to Douglas Skaters-Daves Custom Boats you get the idea,Then I got married had kids and all that fast stuff had to end.
I myself have self learned what works and doesn't
Jim has built and modified them all from tiller boats to Formula 1 to large sailing and offshore Race boats to Flats boats to offshore boats
The Egret line of boats Jim developed were and still are First in their class in quality and design

When the top custom sportfish and yacht builders need something large strong and light built they call Jim at Compmillennia

You should visit Jims website at www.compmillennia.com and read the history and accomplishments of Jim
You may become Intrigued as I was
Thats great, but you still didn't answer the question
wickeyleaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #83
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 1,495
Default

So what's the question again? :-)

I love to build plugs!

Pictured below is a stepped hull plug for the original Rybo Runner, designed by Bob Hobbs that I built by myself many years ago, nights and weekends in about 6 weeks to pay for my first kid. Made her too over a six week period, but 9 months earlier.

We are building Ray's boat in a mixture of LPT's, permanent tooling and custom one off techniques.
I would not call the design revolutionary so much as evolutionary. The key issue is the starting point. Ray's boat is simply a development of a series. Product development leap frogs ahead as materials and construction advance then the design can develop to take advantage of them. We believe that our starting point is good, and when you build light and strong with superior materials, We hope that makes us look smarter.

Bond: You know Q, you 're cleverer than you look.
Q: Still, better than looking cleverer than you are.
Attached Images
     

Last edited by Otseg; 04-22-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Otseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #84
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 8,306
Default

Rybo plug looks great. I know that's a ton of work. There's no easy way to build these. I'm guessing from what you're saying that the hull is either completely one off or patched and stitched from molds you already have. Either way, I'm guessing you'll have to post-finish? ie fair and paint with Imron or awlgrip, or spray gel? The boat sounds like a winner, if you get 2mpg at 45 you better build a mold and a huge shop! What were you guys able to get mpg-wise with the 22 at 45?
MakoMyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #85
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 262
Default

Hi Jim-

Great looking boat. Between Compmillenia, Prowler, and Freeman a lot of innovation in the Cat market and that is a good thing. I love following all of the build threads- it is truly amazing how much thought and effort goes into these builds.

If I remember correctly you used a mold on the 22' that you purchased. In another thread you mentioned how you were using a female (maybe I have that backwards?) mold. Is that the technique you are using on this build?

It appears that most of your builds are more "one offs" (please correct me if I am wrong). What do you find as the best way to develop and test the hull form for these kind of builds (it doesn't appear you cold-mold)?

Thanks for the information and sharing!

SandlapperGT

PS- I worked in a custom boat shop in my teen years, but agree with the poster who would love to be able to mentor under you
SandlapperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 1,566
Default

Oh yeah!! Top notch coming right up!
Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #87
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Port Charlotte
Posts: 840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMyDay View Post
Rybo plug looks great. I know that's a ton of work. There's no easy way to build these. I'm guessing from what you're saying that the hull is either completely one off or patched and stitched from molds you already have. Either way, I'm guessing you'll have to post-finish? ie fair and paint with Imron or awlgrip, or spray gel? The boat sounds like a winner, if you get 2mpg at 45 you better build a mold and a huge shop! What were you guys able to get mpg-wise with the 22 at 45?
This is a picture of the 27 preliminary testing had it at [email protected]@3.5mpg
never actually dialed in the props 100% were always using what was available
But very respectable numbers
Attached Images
 
raysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #88
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 1,495
Default

My office manager gets all evil on me after cutting a check run and she sees me on The Hull Truth.
Better I just get the boat built faster.
Otseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #89
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 8,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysmith View Post
This is a picture of the 27 preliminary testing had it at [email protected]@3.5mpg
never actually dialed in the props 100% were always using what was available
But very respectable numbers
hold on, 40mph @ 3.5 mpg, Holy Range Batman.

What's the fuel capacity and loa?
midcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #90
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Port Charlotte
Posts: 840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otseg View Post
My office manager gets all evil on me after cutting a check run and she sees me on The Hull Truth.
Better I just get the boat built faster.
raysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #91
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CA & San Carlos, Mx
Posts: 19,457
Default

I have quoted the cost to design a plug, build it, prototype it in the water, modify it, retest to confirm results, then break it down to fair it, make the mold, reinforce the mold, and finally produce the hull number 1 if it doesn't stick in the mold, and this prohibitive cost has kept me out of the boat business, with several builders. Its insane how much this costs, in any country, and when you see Prowler going this route, it shows that he has a lot of confidence that he can sell a good number of units just to break even on his mold.

Jim has a number of methodologies that combine to leap frog this old standard so that you truly can do something new at a more moderate cost and timetable. Its still not inexpensive, but its a wiser approach in my opinion. But is complicated enough that it will keep a lot of wanna be's like me out of the business unless they want to take an unexperienced stab at a small profit gambling a fortune, especially on a hull this large.
Bullshipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #92
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Port Charlotte
Posts: 840
Default Light Speed 828

This boat is quite incredible for a 27'
The size of it for a 27' boat is huge I believe the beam is around 8'9"
Looks much bigger to me.
I believe it is for sale @ compmillennia
If my family wasn't as large as it is I would own this.
Jim should put a tape measure on this thing cause it sure looks bigger than advertised
Attached Images
 
raysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #93
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 8,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysmith View Post
This boat is quite incredible for a 27'
The size of it for a 27' boat is huge I believe the beam is around 8'9"
Looks much bigger to me.
I believe it is for sale @ compmillennia
If my family wasn't as large as it is I would own this.
Jim should put a tape measure on this thing cause it sure looks bigger than advertised
That's a big 27. All that with 150's too.
midcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #94
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 1,495
Default

Those Merc 150 four strokes are 3 liter displacement. We are quoting several 39's fitted with 150's for a fish camp where gas is really expensive and the budget small. They are quite happy with a top speed in the low 40's and a 30 kt cruise.
Otseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #95
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 3,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysmith View Post
This boat is quite incredible for a 27'
The size of it for a 27' boat is huge I believe the beam is around 8'9"
Looks much bigger to me.
I believe it is for sale @ compmillennia
If my family wasn't as large as it is I would own this.
Jim should put a tape measure on this thing cause it sure looks bigger than advertised

Great pic..Good to see the old gal's again. Boat looks and runs awesome..I say sell the 150's...and throw on a pair of 300's.....Im curious what my speed would be.. She originally did 58 with the 150's and borrowed wrong props, light on fuel..and I believe 5 of us on board. Ray was correct...40mph @ 4000 rpms and yielded right above 3.5mpg.. Cant wait till the 39 goes on sea trial..
Jassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 834
Default

awesome
Coquille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #97
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Port Charlotte
Posts: 840
Default

Here is a nice picture of the Compmillennia 22' completed
The performance of it is also STELLAR
Attached Images
 
raysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 125
Default

The only way I'd part with hull#1 out of the 22 mold would be for one of these larger cats. i can't wait to watch this unfold.
Attached Images
 
wsh023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:48 AM   #99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south cackalacky
Posts: 402
Default

i will be in the 31-33' market next year. only considering prowler right now, but will keep an eye on here.
baracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 834
Default

I'd like a quote on a 39 with the 200 yamahas.
Coquille is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.