Notices
Like Tree202Likes

The new compmillennia 39 cat

Old 09-07-2015, 01:32 AM
  #341  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Port Charlotte
Posts: 1,058
Default

The answer to both your questions are yes and yes
raysmith is offline  
Old 09-15-2015, 01:02 PM
  #342  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 1,949
Default

Originally Posted by catfoiler View Post
I noticed two addresses what do you build in Miami if anything?
I never expected to leave Florida to live and work in North Carolina. After selling the Miami boat yard and then the Egret Boat Company to N.C. and then training the new builders there, my N.C. born wife wished to stay. Fact is, when in Florida, I lived where the work was. Now I work where I live. What I mean, is that until a recent contract to build carbon fiber parts for a 90' sport fish, all of our customers were out of state or outside of the USA.

While presently half of our work comes from Florida, and I dream of the Blue Water and the islands regularly, My wife is sincere that I should be living with her and the children in North Carolina.
Otseg is offline  
Old 09-15-2015, 01:09 PM
  #343  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by Otseg View Post
I never expected to leave Florida to live and work in North Carolina. After selling the Miami boat yard and then the Egret Boat Company to N.C. and then training the new builders there, my N.C. born wife wished to stay. Fact is, when in Florida, I lived where the work was. Now I work where I live. What I mean, is that until a recent contract to build carbon fiber parts for a 90' sport fish, all of our customers were out of state or outside of the USA.

While presently half of our work comes from Florida, and I dream of the Blue Water and the islands regularly, My wife is sincere that I should be living with her and the children in North Carolina.
The stringers for that big Jarret Bay?
Shanep is offline  
Old 09-16-2015, 12:31 PM
  #344  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 1,949
Default

Diversity supports the catamaran addiction presently. We often get jobs because others can't or won't do anything for money. :-)

It required inventing new techniques to vacuum infuse 60 layers of Carbon fiber over a 4 " thick high density core without a major fiber issue over the corners.

Attached Images  
Otseg is offline  
Old 09-16-2015, 01:00 PM
  #345  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 359
Default

Originally Posted by Otseg View Post

It required inventing new techniques to vacuum infuse 60 layers of Carbon fiber over a 4 " thick high density core without a major fiber issue over the corners.
I am wondering why so many layers of Carbon are required for something like this. Is Carbon not available in heavier fabrics or is it just structurally better to use a lot of thinner plies?
modernimage is offline  
Old 09-16-2015, 02:30 PM
  #346  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 1,949
Default

Carbon fiber laminates require careful ply orientation. Generally known as a balanced laminate to keep from warping. Two plys of Carbon fiber 45 degree biaxial, +/-, +/- will warp like a potato chip, whereas a +/-, -/+ will not. We have +/- and -/+ woven to our spec. It is possible to design an unbalanced laminate that won't warp but it requires a Dr. in front of your name.

Thin plys came from the aero space industry because they need the quantity of ply orientation to get a balanced laminate but not the thickness.

We did use as thick a ply as we felt comfortable infusing, and infusing carbon fiber laminate, especially a thick one is not a walk in the park.

The number of plys, were required to achieve the strength. Space for interiors, machinery and tankage also constrained the room available. Panel spans and loading determined the strength needed.

If you can imagine the loads generated by an engine like this, sometimes Oak just won't do.
Attached Images  
Otseg is offline  
Old 09-16-2015, 07:15 PM
  #347  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 1,949
Default Sneak Peek

Sneak Peek

We are blue printing the bottom this week and installing the bait well/ wash down through hulls and the transducers.

The parameters for this hull design were fuel efficiency @ 45 mph and a ride like butter. With the long water line, sharp entry, tunnel clearance, stepped bottom and light displacement we strive to achieve the mission.
Attached Images  
Otseg is offline  
Old 09-16-2015, 07:47 PM
  #348  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,865
Default

looks like a tall tunnel. Massive boat
Riptide31 is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 02:49 AM
  #349  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 630
Default

Very sporty front view
Keep the pics coming
Super osteg
I wonder how this cat would compare to Freeman 37.
piazzafatb is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 06:15 AM
  #350  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 3,879
Default

Originally Posted by Otseg View Post
Sneak Peek

We are blue printing the bottom this week and installing the bait well/ wash down through hulls and the transducers.

The parameters for this hull design were fuel efficiency @ 45 mph and a ride like butter. With the long water line, sharp entry, tunnel clearance, stepped bottom and light displacement we strive to achieve the mission.

A bet ya a case Miller High Life that you will be better than 2.0mpg @ 45 MPH. When I come down I need to get with you on specs for Sport Trail for my trailer.

Last edited by Jassman; 09-18-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Jassman is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 AM
  #351  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,192
Default

What's involved with blueprinting the bottom? I see the phrase a lot regarding hulls and props, so I have a general understanding from context, but I don't really know what it means for the people doing it or the final result.
Cooper is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 09:34 AM
  #352  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 8,710
Default

Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
A bet ya a case Miller High Life that you will be better than 2.0mpg @ 45 MPH. When I come down I need to get with you on specs for Sport Trail for my trailer.
I'll take that bet. That's with a proper ttop--no bs topless numbers. If it gets that y'all deserve a case of beer.
MakoMyDay is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 09:54 AM
  #353  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 685
Default

...although, the jury is still out whether Miller High Life qualifies as beer by any respectable drunk.
Coronao is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 01:03 PM
  #354  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CA & San Carlos, Mx
Posts: 20,337
Default

Originally Posted by MakoMyDay View Post
I'll take that bet. That's with a proper ttop--no bs topless numbers. If it gets that y'all deserve a case of beer.
Yeah, me too, as long as the beer is cold and there is no running downstream on a river with a tail wind either. LOL.
Bullshipper is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 01:09 PM
  #355  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 8,710
Default

Originally Posted by Coronao View Post
...although, the jury is still out whether Miller High Life qualifies as beer by any respectable drunk.
I wasn't going to say it, but yeah, not my favorite. Maybe it'll look like 2mpg @ 45 after one drinks a case of high life
MakoMyDay is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 01:18 PM
  #356  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 1,949
Default

Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
What's involved with blueprinting the bottom? I see the phrase a lot regarding hulls and props, so I have a general understanding from context, but I don't really know what it means for the people doing it or the final result.
Made by hand or machine, products built to a drawing or from a mold have manufacturing tolerances. We pulled Ray's hull from the mold and are checking the running surfaces first by eye and hand, then straight edges and battens. I also have a dial indicator gizmo that is used to check contour fairness and flatness. At the end of the day its about experience from careful observation and trial and error. Over the years you learn what the water "thinks" and modify the hull accordingly. Sometimes the water "thinks not" and you undo your modification and go the other way. The proof is in the pudding.
Otseg is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 01:53 PM
  #357  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 1,949
Default

Originally Posted by MakoMyDay View Post
I'll take that bet. That's with a proper ttop--no topless numbers. If it gets that y'all deserve a case of beer.
"Topless Numbers" means different things to different folks. At least as far as Jassman is concerned.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Otseg; 09-17-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Otseg is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:04 PM
  #358  
pas
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 2,024
Default

now thats a good day of fishing!
pas is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 06:45 PM
  #359  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bluffton, SC
Posts: 568
Default

One of the catamaran boat manufactures needs to sit down & design a kick ass trailer that lowers the boat while underway. I've had my boat only for a few months & im on my 3rd Simrad HALO...

Everytime I trailer the boat I have to take the radar antenna off...yeah it sucks
stevenjlang is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 PM
  #360  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bluffton, SC
Posts: 568
Default

Sweet looking boat!!
stevenjlang is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread