Notices

Please Help--Mold Removal

Old 09-04-2014, 08:25 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 76
Default Please Help--Mold Removal

Hi THT Forum.

The boat I am working on (father's old boat) has a bunch of black mold in the cockpit from water retention in the bilge while being shrink wrapped. I need to remove it pronto.

The surveyor told me that it is black mold, and so it's dangerous. Hence I figured I would wear a respirator and hit it with a pressure washer to knock as much off as I could, and then try some scrubbing after most of the mold material was gone. Hopefully the result is then there was less crud for me to potentially breath in and that could get me sick.

Also, the surveyor said that I could try to put a bleach mixture in a plant sprayer (weed killer sprayer) and that would be the best way to get any mold from the bilge, i.e. for places I couldn't reach with a pressure washer or squeeze into. I've also heard that a water/bleach mixture won't kill mold though, that it comes back after a while.

Anyone have any thoughts on (#1) how to get at all of the mold in the fishing cockpit (I have been told that pressure washing is the best way, better than products) and (#2) getting mold from the bilge? I really appreciate your help.
Whaler 27 Full Cabin WD is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Westport MA
Posts: 3,503
Default

Well, kill all of it first.At least all of it you can reach. Spay the hell out of it with a bleach mixure, then hit it again, I'd suggest a Mriatic acid mix solution, then put on a mask (respirator better) scrub the hell out of it in brief burst, shopvac it up and call it food.

I have had great results with this product just recently, it probably gives you cancer but it works:
Amazon Amazon

edit: Don't call it food! I mean to say call it good!

Last edited by icemang; 09-05-2014 at 06:26 AM.
icemang is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 76
Default

Ok, thanks man. Good advice and I appreciate you chiming in, owe you a beer.
Whaler 27 Full Cabin WD is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarasota area
Posts: 3,253
Default

bleach will be fine. So long as you're in a well ventilated area it's not going to harm you. Bleach it out well. If you shop vac that stuff out, you need to wear a ventilator while you bag up the contents, and i'd suggest double-bagging.
chimmike is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 04:31 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,287
Default

Bleach will absolutely take care of mold. And the dangers of black mold are vastly overstated.
G8RDave is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gloucester, NC (near Beaufort)
Posts: 738
Default

2% bleach in a detergent solution
Chris Elkins is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 09:00 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 76
Default

Ok, thanks everyone for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I've got a good game plan now and will get started in the next week or two.
Whaler 27 Full Cabin WD is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 05:29 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Port Fierce, FL
Posts: 745
Default

I agree with the statement that the dangers of black mold are overhyped. The mold remediation companies- who make money eliminating mold- would like you to think just looking at it will harm you.
A pump sprayer with a 6:1 mix of water to bleach will do the job. Soak it down, let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with water. Soak it again and scrub with a brush or sponge.
The key is to soak it with the bleach mixture to kill the spores in situ. You don't want the spores floating around in an enclosed space.
Aquasportfisher is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 05:50 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,384
Default

Everything down here points to bleach as the key ingredient. You might also try a product called Mold Armor. They make a number of different products, like house wash, etc., but the stuff to use is Mold Armor instant mold and mildew stain remover. It has a big 2X label on the front, and they make others, but this one works. You spray it on and wait 15 minutes and rinse it off. It really does a great job on your cushions too. It makes them look better than new.
I get it at Home Depot in 32 oz spray bottles. No scrubbing
tiretired is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 06:03 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
williamwallus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SWFL, Midwest
Posts: 3,219
Default

bleach will kill it

I had the same issue I just through a pool tablet in there

not sure of its effects on anything else but it worked
williamwallus is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 06:43 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cape Coral, Fl
Posts: 1,309
Default

I am a big fan of white vinegar for jobs like this. You can spray it everywhere and it kills mold without damaging surfaces. Run a dehumidifier in it for a while once you clean it out. Also wear protective goggles, Once those spores get in the air the lungs and eyes are the two easiest ways to get sick from it. Black mold in a compromised immune system can wreak havoc so make sure you aren't recovering from a cold. Simple precautions and it is a safe and relatively easy thing to do.

Oh and the skin can also be an entry point but not nearly as likely so take a good shower afterwards. I suggest using some some tea tree oil or peppermint soap.
Straegen is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 08:18 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,994
Default

Sprayed mine with tile x. Rinsed five minutes later. Done
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 08:28 AM
  #13  
djy
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Babylon NY
Posts: 1,151
Default

bleach and water in a pump sprayer.spray all the fiberglass and let it sit time is your friend. for cushions soak towels and leave them wet and cover the cushions i used on my cushions on a boat i just bought they where so moldy i was going to have them redone.the wet towels made them good as new.rinse with plenty of water.you can use a soft brush on the cushions.take pics before and after .
djy is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Freeport, Grand Bahama
Posts: 1,382
Default

X-14 Is my favorite.
NOLIMIT40 is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 05:44 PM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 76
Default Awesome, thank you

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I need the help.

The surveyor is the one who said that black mold is really dangerous, I guess he got sick from it once. Regardless, I will be taking the necessary precautions. I am especially thankful about the advice about eyes/skin since I sort of thought my only danger was inhaling it and so I was going to use a respirator, or as ridiculous as it sounds, a scuba tank.

Here is some pics of the mold so you can be thankful it is me and not you dealing with it . It's pretty bad unfortunately.
Attached Images   
Whaler 27 Full Cabin WD is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 05:57 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 691
Default

Originally Posted by Whaler 27 Full Cabin WD View Post
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I need the help.

The surveyor is the one who said that black mold is really dangerous, I guess he got sick from it once. Regardless, I will be taking the necessary precautions. I am especially thankful about the advice about eyes/skin since I sort of thought my only danger was inhaling it and so I was going to use a respirator, or as ridiculous as it sounds, a scuba tank.

Here is some pics of the mold so you can be thankful it is me and not you dealing with it . It's pretty bad unfortunately.
Not to sound flip, but that doesn't look any worse than most boats that I have seen neglected for more than 1 year. Spray on 30% bleach / water, let it sit for 15-20 minutes, scrub it of with fresh water, then repeat. If you leave the bleach on too long it'll start to tear into the material.

Wear your respirator to be safe, but if you mist all of that with the bleach at the onset it'll knock down and kill most of the airborne spores as well.

Good luck.
zig10 is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 06:14 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,779
Default

Can you get Cuprinol Bilgex Bilge Cleaner over there - brilliant product at cleaning mould and all the other crap out of bilges - a product that doesn't take a great deal of effort either.

I would try Y-10 gel or similar oxalic acid product on the outer surfaces - again a leave and wash off product that does most the work for you.
Clinker is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 08:57 PM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 76
Default

Not flip at all. In fact it makes me feel better that you've seen worse. Good advice on the oxalic acid product--heard the same from a family member and will try it.

I'm bringing together the resources to get the job done now. Thanks everyone for the advice on how to do it.
Whaler 27 Full Cabin WD is offline  
Old 09-06-2014, 09:27 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The pit of hell
Posts: 111
Default

Zep Mold & Mildew remover, the shit works literally right before your eyes.
SwampCracker is offline  
Old 09-07-2014, 08:57 AM
  #20  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 76
Default

Cool, thanks SwampC. Appreciate the help.
Whaler 27 Full Cabin WD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread