Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Portable Generator to run A/C on a 24" boat?

Notices
The Boating Forum

Portable Generator to run A/C on a 24" boat?

Old 08-17-2014, 02:38 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 632
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Portable Generator to run A/C on a 24" boat?

We are looking at 23'-25' Cabin boats, or possibly a WA

Some of the cabin boats have built in AC some don't.

We were thinking of buying a Yamaha or Honda EU200i , putting it on the swim platform, to run a A/C for the cabin, either a cabin boat or WA

I know about the fumes, and would buy a good CO2 dectector

My friends are saying the portable carry on units are really heavy, a pain to get into the hatch, and if it rains they leak

They were suggesting goto HD and get a stand up Portable A/C and just leave it on the boat in the AFT Cabin when not using it

Anything to consider, does this sound like a plan?

One boat were looking at is a 2000 Glastron GS249 Cabin boat, no A/C

We live in Florida, so A/C is a must

Also what can I expect how long the Gen will run a carry on unit from HD ?

Something like this they were suggestion :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EdgeStar-Min...item3393110e13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-7-000-BTU...3D151367470613
Old 08-17-2014, 03:38 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarasota area
Posts: 3,253
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

best bet is a Honda, IMO. Quietest, most efficient, and usually the most compact. Look at the rated hours at wattage used for a general idea, compared to the usage stats of the portable a/c unit.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:48 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 3,352
Received 1,055 Likes on 506 Posts
Default

I was thinking two 1000's but after some research the 2000 is a better idea due to the size of the fuel tank. It will run a 5000BTU AC all night long and if you run it through an Xantrex you'll have full batteries to boot....
Old 08-17-2014, 04:51 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,179
Likes: 0
Received 781 Likes on 496 Posts
Default

Buy the Honda 30 amp twist plug
Old 08-17-2014, 05:06 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 4,049
Received 1,235 Likes on 646 Posts
Default

The Yamaha unit your considering (an inverter type) is, I believe, slightly better than Honda unit.

A couple reasons why I say that.

The Yamaha has a fuel cut off valve built in to the face. So you can run out the fuel in the carb. Honda you have to cut in and add this. And the Yamaha has a fuel gauge in the top. Honda does not.

You can replace the vented fuel cap on both with a nipple cap and gravity feed to a larger tank. For extended run times. They both have those available

They are both equal in sound, weight and dependability. Both are quite and work forever.

Both are fine units. You'll be happy with either. I just find the little touches Yamaha put into theirs to be things Honda needs to do.

And they are about equal in price. The Yamaha can be a tad cheaper. Their models all are set up to link up. With the honda you have to buy the one with the switch ($100 more) or buy the switch later. Either one you have to buy the cord.

Yamaha now makes a 2400 that one might consider for RV's. Those 13000 btu roof units need that little extra. But the Yamaha 2000is will run a 5000 btu AC just fine. It handles the start up surge with ease. Won't take much more than that. Maybe a light or two. I've run it that way at my Deer camp cabin. I chose it over the Honda. I was also able to get a dealer to knock off about 50 bucks on the Yamaha and so got it for $950. I recommend it.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM
  #6  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lighthouse Point, Fl.
Posts: 2,433
Received 685 Likes on 334 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
We are looking at 23'-25' Cabin boats, or possibly a WA

Some of the cabin boats have built in AC some don't.

We were thinking of buying a Yamaha or Honda EU200i , putting it on the swim platform, to run a A/C for the cabin, either a cabin boat or WA

I know about the fumes, and would buy a good CO2 dectector

My friends are saying the portable carry on units are really heavy, a pain to get into the hatch, and if it rains they leak

They were suggesting goto HD and get a stand up Portable A/C and just leave it on the boat in the AFT Cabin when not using it

Anything to consider, does this sound like a plan?

One boat were looking at is a 2000 Glastron GS249 Cabin boat, no A/C

We live in Florida, so A/C is a must

Also what can I expect how long the Gen will run a carry on unit from HD ?

Something like this they were suggestion :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EdgeStar-Min...item3393110e13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-7-000-BTU...3D151367470613
1. Consider yours and the lives of whomever you take onboard. 2. Speak to your insurance agent or better yet a maritime attorney. 3. Buy a Coast Guard Approved marine generator & AC unit and forget about trying to adopt & modify machinery that is not designed for marine use before someone(s) is seriously injured and you find yourself in a legal tussle & without insurance coverage.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:12 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,224
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Just throwing out an idea from my head, could you simple put a box fan next to the gen set on the swim platform to blow away the exhaust? They don't take much juice to run one and it should keep the air around the unit away from the boat, no?
Likes:
Old 08-17-2014, 05:19 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: skittleville fl
Posts: 8,667
Received 1,203 Likes on 650 Posts
Default

don't cool someone to death lol
Old 08-17-2014, 05:47 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Orlando work/Sebastian fun
Posts: 876
Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
We are looking at 23'-25' Cabin boats, or possibly a WA

Some of the cabin boats have built in AC some don't.

We were thinking of buying a Yamaha or Honda EU200i , putting it on the swim platform, to run a A/C for the cabin, either a cabin boat or WA

I know about the fumes, and would buy a good CO2 dectector

My friends are saying the portable carry on units are really heavy, a pain to get into the hatch, and if it rains they leak

They were suggesting goto HD and get a stand up Portable A/C and just leave it on the boat in the AFT Cabin when not using it

Anything to consider, does this sound like a plan?

One boat were looking at is a 2000 Glastron GS249 Cabin boat, no A/C

We live in Florida, so A/C is a must

Also what can I expect how long the Gen will run a carry on unit from HD ?

Something like this they were suggestion :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EdgeStar-Min...item3393110e13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-7-000-BTU...3D151367470613


A propane converted Yahama portable generator is your answer. Will run all night on a tank.

http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-ga...m/ef2000is.htm
Old 08-17-2014, 07:54 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 380
Likes: 0
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Have you checked the ryobi 2200? at home depot for $599.00 or online cheaper. It has worked just fine for me with the boat ac and also with the portable lg in your link. My brother in law uses the generac from lowes at about the same price, a couple of hundreds less kW though. Just watch where the wind is blowing if you are not anchored following the wind and current.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:08 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 3,352
Received 1,055 Likes on 506 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SplashFL View Post
1. Consider yours and the lives of whomever you take onboard. 2. Speak to your insurance agent or better yet a maritime attorney. 3. Buy a Coast Guard Approved marine generator & AC unit and forget about trying to adopt & modify machinery that is not designed for marine use before someone(s) is seriously injured and you find yourself in a legal tussle & without insurance coverage.
Dude, are the lawyer forums that boring tonight? Get a life man....
Likes:
Old 08-17-2014, 08:30 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lower Bay in VA.
Posts: 5,984
Received 272 Likes on 154 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flying_Norseman View Post
Dude, are the lawyer forums that boring tonight? Get a life man....
Maybe he is trying to save a few lives .


portable gensets don't belong on boats .
Old 08-17-2014, 09:12 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 3,352
Received 1,055 Likes on 506 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by prowlersfish View Post
Maybe he is trying to save a few lives .


portable gensets don't belong on boats .
Maybe not, but not all of us have enough money to buy a 90 foot battleship for a few nights a year, and a portable generator placed on a platform behind the boat quite frankly isn't the biggest risk you take while boating/fishing/diving.

But you're saying I can't have AC at night because I don't have a boat like yours? You're saying a boat at anchor with a small generator on its swim platform is dangerous? Seriously dude?
Likes:
Old 08-17-2014, 09:26 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flying_Norseman View Post
Maybe not, but not all of us have enough money to buy a 90 foot battleship for a few nights a year, and a portable generator placed on a platform behind the boat quite frankly isn't the biggest risk you take while boating/fishing/diving.

But you're saying I can't have AC at night because I don't have a boat like yours? You're saying a boat at anchor with a small generator on its swim platform is dangerous? Seriously dude?
Wrong is wrong and right is right! Has nothing to do with having or not having enough money to do things right.

Have you looked at 12 volt A/C systems. Have one on my boat. Works well while fishing all day with engines running. If not plugged in at a slip I wouldn't want to run 350 hp engine all night although they r very quite. Not sure how long it would run off batteries alone but it's worth a look.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 713
Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

I have had a number of boats with proper marine generators, they are great.

But when I need to spend a night on my less than perfect 28' Pursuit at anchor, I put my Honda EU2000 in my dinghy, let out about 25' of line and 30amp power chord and I then go to sleep with my AC on.

The only thing I worry about is someone stealing my dinghy and generator!
Likes:
Old 08-17-2014, 09:41 PM
  #16  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lighthouse Point, Fl.
Posts: 2,433
Received 685 Likes on 334 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flying_Norseman View Post
Maybe not, but not all of us have enough money to buy a 90 foot battleship for a few nights a year, and a portable generator placed on a platform behind the boat quite frankly isn't the biggest risk you take while boating/fishing/diving.

But you're saying I can't have AC at night because I don't have a boat like yours? You're saying a boat at anchor with a small generator on its swim platform is dangerous? Seriously dude?
First you appear to agree portable gen sets don't belong on boats, which they do not, and then you give your "expert" risk justification for them when perhaps marine units are not affordable. "Brilliant" advice. Note to the OP. Beware of ignorance; see my previous post on this & hope you make the right choice. For me this is a little personal; having known one of 4 people that anchored out on a quiet river one night with one of these set ups and none of them ever work up.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:42 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 3,352
Received 1,055 Likes on 506 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by maitman99 View Post
I have had a number of boats with proper marine generators, they are great.

But when I need to spend a night on my less than perfect 28' Pursuit at anchor, I put my Honda EU2000 in my dinghy, let out about 25' of line and 30amp power chord and I then go to sleep with my AC on.

The only thing I worry about is someone stealing my dinghy and generator!
How dare you? That is like killing everybody within a mile radius.....

Some people just don't have much of a clue, and the OP didn't really ask if it was dangerous or not. If done properly it is less risky than actually jumping in the water to cool off.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:50 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 3,352
Received 1,055 Likes on 506 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SplashFL View Post
.....having known one of 4 people that anchored out on a quiet river one night with one of these set ups and none of them ever work up.
Sorry about your loss Sir. But lots and lots of us down here in Florida use this concept with great success. I am all about safety and I consider it pretty safe as long as your anchored and the gen is on the platform behind the boat and the anchor line is in front of it.

Again, sorry about your loss.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:28 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, MA
Posts: 1,917
Received 144 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

I've got a buddy who's cousin does this all the time with his car. Let me give him a shout and see how it works for him....


Last edited by burtonboards32; 08-18-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dartmouth MA
Posts: 5,898
Received 912 Likes on 461 Posts
Default

If you're going to do it just think about those anchored or moored nearby who are looking for a quiet night on their boat. More than one night's sleep has been lost by the sound of these things buzzing away all night. Personally, I can't stand them.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.