Notices

kill switch bypass

Old 06-21-2014, 09:56 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
captain nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bradenton Florida
Posts: 8,503
Default kill switch bypass

2007 yamaha f-250

a short in my kill switch (which i dont wear) almost left me stranded with clients in the boat today. how do i bypass the kill switch until i can get a new switch ordered?
captain nate is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 10:01 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Palm Beach, Fl.
Posts: 7,144
Default

The neutral safety switch you would bypass, but the kill switch you would just disconnect. I think it just grounds the ignition, but I would just check it with my meter.

Pull a wire off the switch and see if she starts without the lanyard.
debugger is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 13,052
Default

What type of control box do you have?
jethro1 is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 10:39 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
captain nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bradenton Florida
Posts: 8,503
Default

Yamaha 704 binnacle and multi function gauges (not NMEA 2000).
captain nate is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 10:55 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: M.Vineyard, MA
Posts: 14,083
Default

Originally Posted by debugger View Post
The neutral safety switch you would bypass, but the kill switch you would just disconnect. I think it just grounds the ignition, but I would just check it with my meter.

Pull a wire off the switch and see if she starts without the lanyard.


That would be true of old 2 stroke engines, but at least some 4 strokes kill by opening the ignition circuit ,not shorting to ground, and a universal kill switch can be wired either way(NO or NC) to accommodate whichever way your ignition gets turned off. So you can just test the wires going to your kill switch to see which allows it to fire..
TTaxi is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 11:05 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
captain nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bradenton Florida
Posts: 8,503
Default

Uh... What?
captain nate is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 11:14 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Palm Beach, Fl.
Posts: 7,144
Default

Originally Posted by captain nate View Post
Uh... What?
When the lanyard is in the switch (the running position), we're not sure if the switch is open or closed. You will need to test that with a meter, and then duplicate the circuit without the switch.

Like I said, Pull a wire off the switch and see if it starts without the lanyard in place. Then you'll know even without a meter.

You should learn to hotwire your boat as well in case you lose the key.
debugger is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 11:16 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
captain nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bradenton Florida
Posts: 8,503
Default

Thanks. Haha.
captain nate is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Palm Beach, Fl.
Posts: 7,144
Default

Originally Posted by captain nate View Post
Thanks. Haha.
I'm serious about the hotwiring part. I keep a keyswitch wiring diagram on board mine just in case I need to.

Besides, you're a Capt now. You're supposed to be the master of disaster remember?
debugger is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 12:33 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,144
Default

You either disconnect the two wires, or you twist them together. It'll be one or the other.
Flot is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 12:51 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: JAX FL
Posts: 1,993
Default

Originally Posted by Flot View Post
You either disconnect the two wires, or you twist them together. It'll be one or the other.
My answer as well but I wld unhook one wire first to see it it kills engine if it does (doubtful) then twist together if it does not disconnect.
SHAMROCK69 is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 03:35 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 13,052
Default

All Yams are made to stop running by applying a ground to the white wire that is part of the key switch/kill switch and the motor.

Go behind the dash to the back of the key switch/kill switch panel. There will be two white wires coming from the kill switch. They have bullet connectors on the ends of them. Disconnect one or the other of those wires.

jethro takes no responsibility or assumes any liability if and when something bad happens because of your decision to over ride the kill switch circuit.

Also, keep in mind that the key switch might be part of the problem.

jethro1 is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 04:01 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,044
Default

This is a stupid idea because you SHOULD wear your kill switch. People's lives have been saved by them.
Jim311 is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 748
Default


Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
This is a stupid idea because you SHOULD wear your kill switch. People's lives have been saved by them.
And if you never wear it why do you want to replace it with a new switch. Thats just throwing money at it.
Darcy123 is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
captain nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bradenton Florida
Posts: 8,503
Default

Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
All Yams are made to stop running by applying a ground to the white wire that is part of the key switch/kill switch and the motor.

Go behind the dash to the back of the key switch/kill switch panel. There will be two white wires coming from the kill switch. They have bullet connectors on the ends of them. Disconnect one or the other of those wires.

jethro takes no responsibility or assumes any liability if and when something bad happens because of your decision to over ride the kill switch circuit.

Also, keep in mind that the key switch might be part of the problem.

Thanks. I don't start with the key switch. The key is broke off in it because Century thought it'd be a stellar idea to put it right at knee level on the console. Start and stop duties are handled by cole herse buttons on the dash and in the tower.
captain nate is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 07:07 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NC/GA
Posts: 5,914
Default

OK, I'll ask about the elephant in the thread. No, I won't, either, it's way too obvious ...
Curmudgeon is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Palm Beach, Fl.
Posts: 7,144
Default

Originally Posted by Darcyheron View Post



And if you never wear it why do you want to replace it with a new switch. Thats just throwing money at it.
Suzuki motors use the kill switch to reset codes such as the oil change reminder. It is handy for Yamaha compression testing.

It should work, use it or not.
debugger is offline  
Old 06-21-2014, 07:27 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE FL
Posts: 3,993
Default

Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
This is a stupid idea because you SHOULD wear your kill switch. People's lives have been saved by them.
In my personal opinion, they should only be worn if you are the only person on the boat. If there are others on the boat and the Capt. goes over w/ the lanyard, the others on the boat are not able to maneuver the boat, which could either put them further into harms way, or not allow them to maneuver back to the MOB

again - my opinion. But one I know is shared with many others
makosteve66 is offline  
Old 06-22-2014, 05:09 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,227
Default

Originally Posted by makosteve66 View Post
In my personal opinion, they should only be worn if you are the only person on the boat. If there are others on the boat and the Capt. goes over w/ the lanyard, the others on the boat are not able to maneuver the boat, which could either put them further into harms way, or not allow them to maneuver back to the MOB

again - my opinion. But one I know is shared with many others
On the other side, what if you have everyone in the water and a boat going in circles or heading toward Mexico?

Also if you completely lose steering, broken cable or linkage, on a single engine boat at speed you will get a very violent reaction.
Gary999 is offline  
Old 06-22-2014, 05:22 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,044
Default

Exactly, if everyone get thrown from the boat and the motor locks to one side you and your crew could be in the water with a boat circling violently around you. That is, if the boat doesn't haul ass off into the sunset and leave you miles from shore with no boat and likely no life jacket since I'm betting if you aren't using your kill switch you aren't wearing a life jacket either.
Jim311 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread