Notices
View Poll Results: Which would you pic for a coffin box on a 25ft cc
Yeti 250
37
47.44%
Engel 240
34
43.59%
IceyTek 170
7
8.97%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Yeti vs Engel vs IceyTek

Old 04-27-2014, 06:25 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,036
Default Yeti vs Engel vs IceyTek

All three of the have similar measurements with the yeti being abut 5" longer than engel and IceyTek. Which would you pick and why for a coffin box set up on a 25ft boat.

Yeti 250
Engel 240
IceyTek 170
wellcraft25 is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 06:44 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: C Dock Rum Club, FL
Posts: 6,114
Default

I had an 170 Icey Tek and it wouldn't hold ice more than 12 hours in Florida sun. It was worse than the cheapest igloo I ever owned. Even with pre-cooling it was a total waste of money.

$579 is laughable. http://www.icey-tek-coolers.com/icey...ooler-ice-box/

That's almost in Frigid Rigid price range. Which is hands down better. I had a 240 Frigid Rigid that would hold solid ice from weekend to weekend.
23Dorado is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 06:49 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,183
Default

Engel. I have no experience with the other 2, but I have 3 Engels 25, 35 and 65 and going to buy an 80. They have been everything I would expect from a cooler and more.
KingRanch is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,036
Default

Originally Posted by 23Dorado View Post
I had an 170 Icey Tek and it wouldn't hold ice more than 12 hours in Florida sun. It was worse than the cheapest igloo I ever owned. Even with pre-cooling it was a total waste of money.

$579 is laughable. http://www.icey-tek-coolers.com/icey...ooler-ice-box/

That's almost in Frigid Rigid price range. Which is hands down better. I had a 240 Frigid Rigid that would hold solid ice from weekend to weekend.
I wish frigid rigid was in that range. The frigid in this size group I am talking about us over $1000
http://www.marineproducts.net/products/Ice-Chest.html


Originally Posted by KingRanch View Post
Engel. I have no experience with the other 2, but I have 3 Engels 25, 35 and 65 and going to buy an 80. They have been everything I would expect from a cooler and more.
thanks for posting
wellcraft25 is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:22 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 134
Default



you decide...
Flatback20 is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,036
Default

Originally Posted by Flatback20 View Post
thanks for the vid
wellcraft25 is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:30 PM
  #7  
Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Default

I got a 65 qt. pelican and 270 qt. icey tek pelican way nicer cooler I'll take a pelican over all the others
Thrillseeker is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:35 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chesapeake VA
Posts: 7,527
Default

I have a yeti 240 and love it. The seat pad is super thick near 3". I have a 65 Engel as well, but yet to see a big Engel. Either one.
nitro943 is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,036
Default

Originally Posted by nitro943 View Post
I have a yeti 240 and love it. The seat pad is super thick near 3". I have a 65 Engel as well, but yet to see a big Engel. Either one.
Good to hear thanks
The pad for either will be made for me since I am getting my upholster done for the boat.


Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
I got a 65 qt. pelican and 270 qt. icey tek pelican way nicer cooler I'll take a pelican over all the others
I looked at them but the measurements don't work.
wellcraft25 is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:54 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Clearwater,FL
Posts: 224
Default

Nothing beats a Yeti, i love mine and wouldn't buy anything other brand.
gkerekes is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:58 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,156
Default

I would choose the coleman from the video....55 bucks.
Aaron43 is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,036
Default

Originally Posted by Aaron43 View Post
I would choose the coleman from the video....55 bucks.

I would to but not for this application its going on the bow of my 25CV so I need something that is smooth looking because my boat is well taken care of.
wellcraft25 is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 09:05 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chesapeake VA
Posts: 7,527
Default

Originally Posted by wellcraft25 View Post
smooth looking because my boat is well taken care of.
nitro943 is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 236
Default

I would go with the Engel. I did just buy a 80 qt. Bayou Ice Box. I think they are made in Bayou La Batre. Haven't had a chance to try it out though. Just sitting in the boat in the garage.
mrf1sh is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 614
Default

I've had a 65 qt Yeti in the back of my pickup that I've had filled with ice about 50% of that time and if I don't open it much with 40 lbs of ice it'll last 5-7 days in the back of my pickup in Florida during the summer if I prechill it with a bag of ice. I've beat the crap out of the Yeti for 3 years and it is still going strong. In fact, I just got a cold beer from it.

My brother has had a 200qt SSI for 7 years in the back of his boat and it still is in great shape. I borrowed it last year about this time when I went on a 8 day sailing trip to Key West with my Dad on his sailboat. 100 lbs of ice and at the end of the trip it still had about 60% of the ice.

I love my Yeti but if I'm buying a 200 qt cooler I'm buying an SSI.
FLMarine is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 05:21 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: C Dock Rum Club, FL
Posts: 6,114
Default

Originally Posted by wellcraft25 View Post
I wish frigid rigid was in that range. The frigid in this size group I am talking about us over $1000
http://www.marineproducts.net/products/Ice-Chest.html
Those prices are nuts. I paid less than $750 for my frigid at Fishermans Supply House in St. Pete. Call around to a few Frigid retailers.
23Dorado is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 1,711
Default

Man, all the Iceytech haters... Anybody have a 120-170 they don't want and want to get rid of. I love both of mine.
capt.holiday is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 06:39 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location:
Posts: 1,244
Default

I have the 250 Yeti as a coffin box and it's the perect size. I also have a 65 Yeti under the leaning post. But. I would also buy an Engel without hesitation. Buy the one with the best price. Both are great coolers.
swat1 is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 06:51 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,036
Default

Originally Posted by swat1 View Post
I have the 250 Yeti as a coffin box and it's the perect size. I also have a 65 Yeti under the leaning post. But. I would also buy an Engel without hesitation. Buy the one with the best price. Both are great coolers.
Roger that man thanks for the info

Originally Posted by 23Dorado View Post
Those prices are nuts. I paid less than $750 for my frigid at Fishermans Supply House in St. Pete. Call around to a few Frigid retailers.
I'll have to check that out because everywhere online they are $1050-$1100


Originally Posted by capt.holiday View Post
Man, all the Iceytech haters... Anybody have a 120-170 they don't want and want to get rid of. I love both of mine.
Lol
wellcraft25 is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Cape Coral FL
Posts: 613
Default

My boat came with a 72 qt ( I think) igloo. You can find them at west marine for $150. Not the best brand name, but the best cooler I've ever owned. It's durable, rigid enough to use as a seat if you had to, and keeps things cold.

On a hot SW FL day of boating, it keeps the ice all day with very little melting. When you open it, you can feel the cold air eminate outward. With kids and wife in and out of it all day, we carry it off to our lanai when come back in the evening. From that point, I have two days to get left over beer and food out of it.

If we ever kill this thing, I will buy another just like it.
lifestarts@forty is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread