Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Has the time for the classic day boat returned?

Notices
The Boating Forum

Has the time for the classic day boat returned?

Old 05-23-2013, 05:05 PM
  #201  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: cape cod
Posts: 9,469
Received 789 Likes on 400 Posts
Default

It's not a brownell. I've been on a few and they are great boats though. I owned Miss Jillian for a breif while and she was one of the finest boats I've run. Rock solid feel but very soft and dry ride with incredible craftmanship. No wonder she took ten years to build. Penade is a hell of a boat too. Niether are day boats though.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 PM
  #202  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bellport, NY
Posts: 425
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jbg108 View Post
It's a Marby Edwards. Sorry if I misspelled the name.
You are correct. She is a Mabry Edwards, owned by a friend of mine.
Rick..
Old 05-24-2013, 02:54 AM
  #203  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 2,364
Received 2,245 Likes on 655 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rickyrybo View Post
You are correct. She is a Mabry Edwards, owned by a friend of mine.
Rick..
Glad someone knows how to spell his name. I met him in St. Augustine when I was building plugs and molds for Luhrs in 1987. I called him Mayberry then, and he answered to it. :-) A very nice Man. He mentored Charley Spires in the startup of their Sport fishing boat line.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:42 PM
  #204  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The Mabry Edwards boat in the thread is mine,I've owned it for 20 years. It is the second boat that Mabry built with Jim Smith, the first being Jim's charter boat the Boca Jima with the elevator in the tower. One interesting thing in this thread is the fact that the Shady, now the Circle Back was built by a friend of mine who docked across from me for many years. The next several Mabry Edwards boats had no tumble home and were laid out so they could be reproduced from a one piece mold, which never happened anyway. This has been a fun boat, I also have a 53 foot Rybovich but once you are where the fishing is happening there is nothing like one of these little day boats!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 PM
  #205  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 5,067
Likes: 0
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bill7890 View Post
The Mabry Edwards boat in the thread is mine,I've owned it for 20 years. It is the second boat that Mabry built with Jim Smith, the first being Jim's charter boat the Boca Jima with the elevator in the tower. One interesting thing in this thread is the fact that the Shady, now the Circle Back was built by a friend of mine who docked across from me for many years. The next several Mabry Edwards boats had no tumble home and were laid out so they could be reproduced from a one piece mold, which never happened anyway. This has been a fun boat, I also have a 53 foot Rybovich but once you are where the fishing is happening there is nothing like one of these little day boats!
Sir, that has been my take on it. They are maneuverable, comfortable, quick and economical to operate.
I am sure the 50' and 60's versions, in wood, were high upkeep, but there is no reason with the materials we have today that a much lower maintenance version could not be built.
I believe as you see fuel cost rise and people desire more comfort than a center console, you will see people looking hard at this type of boat again.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM
  #206  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This boat is plank on frame, juniper on mahogany frames, double diagonal bottom and carvel planked on the sides. Epoxy glue and fiberglassed on the exterior when built in 61 . The bridge is glass, something they bought it would seem. When you cut a hole, you can still smell the cedar!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM
  #207  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 5,067
Likes: 0
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bill7890 View Post
This boat is plank on frame, juniper on mahogany frames, double diagonal bottom and carvel planked on the sides. Epoxy glue and fiberglassed on the exterior when built in 61 . The bridge is glass, something they bought it would seem. When you cut a hole, you can still smell the cedar!

Cool way to build her, strong and light. I bet she has lasted well and has held up.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 AM
  #208  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 2,364
Received 2,245 Likes on 655 Posts
Default

Hugh, Its worth doing a Goggle on Mabry and Jim Smiths relationship. Both were pilots and outboard racers before building fishing boats. They were always experimenting. Maybry did a bit of experimenting with shaft tubes and running gear that he proposed when I met him.

This is what is called a Martin "High Speed 60". It has a Maybry Edward's lower unit. This is a factory one off racer with the special lower unit He provided to about 120 engines. It sounds like a nasty chain saw. The engine has no water pump, not made for fishing! I blieve Jim Smith passed away in 1996 and Maybry in 2008, His boat company name was MEMCO.
Attached Images    
Old 05-28-2013, 04:25 AM
  #209  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 2,364
Received 2,245 Likes on 655 Posts
Default Memco

Memco 28
Attached Images       
Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 AM
  #210  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

beautiful little 28 but the bridge is so small

Last edited by osprey2; 05-28-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 AM
  #211  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 2,364
Received 2,245 Likes on 655 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by osprey2 View Post
but the bridge is so small
“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” Mark Twain

I started to think how they get up to the bridge without a ladder, and it appears there is a step on the rear wing.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM
  #212  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Otseg View Post
“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” Mark Twain

I started to think how they get up to the bridge without a ladder, and it appears there is a step on the rear wing.
Doesn't bother me that it only holds two people but the fact that you will have knees in your chest in rough weather and can't stand up is an issue. Otherwise beautiful boat and a cool thread about the rebuild.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 AM
  #213  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: cape cod
Posts: 9,469
Received 789 Likes on 400 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by osprey2 View Post
Doesn't bother me that it only holds two people but the fact that you will have knees in your chest in rough weather and can't stand up is an issue. Otherwise beautiful boat and a cool thread about the rebuild.
I've had Bertrams and a 29 Phoenix and I don't like the low sit down style bridge helms either. but this one doesn't look like it was designed for rough seas based on the Hull design.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:50 PM
  #214  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: slightly north of broad
Posts: 1,707
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

what is this beautiful old girl? look like something from a Bogart film.
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM
  #215  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: cape cod
Posts: 9,469
Received 789 Likes on 400 Posts
Default

No idea. Bridge is only a slight improvement over Miss Broadbill though.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:01 AM
  #216  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 2,036
Likes: 0
Received 341 Likes on 205 Posts
Default

is this what you had in mind???
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2013, 06:30 AM
  #217  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: central Maine
Posts: 1,211
Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Is it just me or is talk of "gas prices" and "economical" a little more than ironic when the price of admission to the club is well into the low and mid-six figures? Don't get me wrong here, over the 8 pages there are some VERY beautiful boats.

But.. Really?
Old 06-15-2013, 04:57 PM
  #218  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 5,067
Likes: 0
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
Is it just me or is talk of "gas prices" and "economical" a little more than ironic when the price of admission to the club is well into the low and mid-six figures? Don't get me wrong here, over the 8 pages there are some VERY beautiful boats.

But.. Really?
Well it is alot better than 3 or 4 million and 110 gals an hr to move it.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 AM
  #219  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
captainmarknc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,507
Received 727 Likes on 405 Posts
Default

I've owned a couple 50/gal an hour boats. My brother had a 55 Viking and that was more like 70. He just looked at it like the honey he needs to enjoy his ride. Really the maintenance, depreciation, insurance, etc is more.

Here's an idea; if you ever go halves on a boat like this, each of you put up an extra $50k for a fuel card that each can use whenever. Use that sucker!

Last edited by captainmarknc; 06-16-2013 at 04:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 AM
  #220  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,760
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

With this thread hanging on, I saw Magic this week, a similar hull as depicted and I must say that the boat is to my liking. If I was choosing a profile, the sheer by itself meets that criteria too.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.