Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Selling the Boat...remove FL reg sticker?

Notices
The Boating Forum

Selling the Boat...remove FL reg sticker?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South FL
Posts: 3,521
Received 641 Likes on 391 Posts
Default Selling the Boat...remove FL reg sticker?

I will be selling my boat, should I remove the FL registration sticker??

I know the decal is linked to my partners DL, and I guess that forces the new owner to retitle to boat to his name in order to obtain the new decal.

any suggestions???
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,933
Received 145 Likes on 60 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JoseG View Post
I will be selling my boat, should I remove the FL registration sticker??

I know the decal is linked to my partners DL, and I guess that forces the new owner to retitle to boat to his name in order to obtain the new decal.

any suggestions???

Just find out ahead time to make sure. I bought a used boat, here in FL, and the same reg numbers were used when I went to register boat in my name. I was glad that I did not rip them off.

Last edited by LivingWaters22; 01-23-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,437
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Reg numbers are not like a lic plate, they stay with the hull. Leave them on, youll be doing the buyer a favor.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
Posts: 2,650
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Life...

Life partner? ;?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 2,007
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by #1Stunna View Post
Salt Life partner? ;?

Fixed it for you!

I think Jose is talking about the registration sticker and not the FL numbers ;? and any liability that would fall on his partner should something happen involving the boat before it is transferred to the new owners name...
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Port Orange Florida
Posts: 2,454
Likes: 0
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Guys, he's talking about the registration decal, not the FL #'s.

You can remove or leave it alone. It won't matter. Date the boat was sold is all you need. It's not a license plate.


FTR. the FL#'s stay on the boat.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,535
Received 611 Likes on 351 Posts
Default

Everyone is correct that the #s stay with the boat.

I, for one, think it's a great idea for you to remove the square registration STICKER upon sale. You will retain the upper part of the title and are supposed to send it in to document the sale, but I think taking the reg sticker off is a good "subtle" way to get the new owner to register in a timely fashion.

I've sold a dozen watercraft and never occured to me to do that.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South FL
Posts: 3,521
Received 641 Likes on 391 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SoulDeepDan View Post
Fixed it for you!

I think Jose is talking about the registration sticker and not the FL numbers ;? and any liability that would fall on his partner should something happen involving the boat before it is transferred to the new owners name...
Guys, I'm talking about the registration decal, not the FL #s like SoulDeep mentions.

Not a live partner, just boat partner....\



Originally Posted by Flot View Post
Everyone is correct that the #s stay with the boat.

I, for one, think it's a great idea for you to remove the square registration STICKER upon sale. You will retain the upper part of the title and are supposed to send it in to document the sale, but I think taking the reg sticker off is a good "subtle" way to get the new owner to register in a timely fashion.

I've sold a dozen watercraft and never occured to me to do that.
Yes, that the whole idea...
I sold a trailer a few months ago, and let the buyer "borrow" the plate, never got the plate back and now is somehow "missing"

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.