Notices

Opinions on boat covers?

Reply

Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Default Opinions on boat covers?

Hi! I'm a newbie, planning on getting a boat cover for my husband's birthday. We recently purchased a 22' center console and it's become his man cave. He tinkers on it constantly and takes immaculate care of it--and bitches about needing a cover for it all the time (haha). I'd like to buy him one but I don't know what to look for or how to make sure it fits. Would like to spend less than $200...anyone have suggestions? Happy with the one you have? Is there a material I should stay away from? How do I get the right size? Thanks in advance!!!
JCM101009 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Up North Wis & Marco Island, FL
Posts: 2,793
Default

Originally Posted by JCM101009 View Post
Hi! I'm a newbie, planning on getting a boat cover for my husband's birthday. We recently purchased a 22' center console and it's become his man cave. He tinkers on it constantly and takes immaculate care of it--and bitches about needing a cover for it all the time (haha). I'd like to buy him one but I don't know what to look for or how to make sure it fits. Would like to spend less than $200...anyone have suggestions? Happy with the one you have? Is there a material I should stay away from? How do I get the right size? Thanks in advance!!!
Sunbrella material is only way to go if you want it to last more than 2 years. A custom cover with this material is going to cost much more than your budget. Try Overton's catalogue and see if Taylor makes a cover similar to size and shape of your boat. Still going to cost more than you want to spend. Best of Luck! Husband is in Love....
deltarome is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:23 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,188
Default

I bought a Carver Polyguard cover through Iboats.com for my 18'cc without a T-Top. I've only had it about 4 months but so far I am very happy with it. For semi-custom, it fits really good.

Over the years I've had a bunch of covers ranging from a tarp to the sub $100 cheapos to custom. There is a certain level of quality you need to hit to have a product that will last. My guess is that it will be over your budget but it is worth looking at.
Sprockets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 120
Default

Don't use them in the summer sun is my experience. It will discolor your vinyl.
BuckinCali is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:41 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The South
Posts: 2,210
Default

FWIW, I have had a couple of Carver Covers (assumed poster above) and they are really top notch.
Contractor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:19 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Posts: 561
Default

I have bought two Carver semi-custom covers over the years and been very happy with their product. You are looking at a budget of $400 for 22 foot boat.
Con21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:53 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 120
Default

Originally Posted by Carvercovers View Post
If you've had a cover that has discolored your vinyl (crocking), I would definitely recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your cover for a warranty claim. A quality cover shouldn't transfer any color onto your boat.
You sure about that. Even in 100+ heat for good stretches of time.
BuckinCali is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 195
Default

Not to continue the Carver Cover Ego stroking...But I also just purchased a Carver Cover for my 26 ft boat. Looks good, fit well, and we'll see how it holds up.
FloridaSeaDoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MA and ME
Posts: 16,795
Default

I just took delivery of a Carver cover in Sept.
For owning such a popular boat I expected it to fit better than it does. They advertised a low price until I placed the order. It was then that I was informed that having the hardtop option on my boat (even though I checked the proper box) the cost of the Carver cover would be more by about 200 bucks. They also advertise that the cover is good for trailering. Well that was until I opened the box and read that this cover is not recommended for trailering. Well I do have to trailer it from the house to the marina for winter storage. The marina is close enough and the roads are slow so I'm going to do it anyway at my risk.

If I was going to use more than to keep the fall leaves out of the boat, I most likely would have sent it back and eaten the restocking fee.

I'll keep using the cover and when it dies I will more than likely get one that fits better even though it will be double the cost.
Mist-Rest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MA and ME
Posts: 16,795
Default

This post reminds me of that meat in a can called Spam. I'd like the mods to consider leaving it up for a while just the same.

It reminded that I did not write a post about my experience with the Carver cover I purchased.

My post is 100% honest.
Mist-Rest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:23 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Port Charlotte Fl
Posts: 1,063
Default

Originally Posted by BuckinCali View Post
You sure about that. Even in 100+ heat for good stretches of time.
Heat shouldnt have any effect on a quality cover. And jf you can afford it nothing beats a custom fit cover. And be sure to get tenara (gore tex) thread
MikeM8560 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:40 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 120
Default

Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
Heat shouldnt have any effect on a quality cover. And jf you can afford it nothing beats a custom fit cover. And be sure to get tenara (gore tex) thread
Ok thanks for the input guys.
BuckinCali is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 120
Default

Originally Posted by Mist-Rest View Post
I just took delivery of a Carver cover in Sept.
For owning such a popular boat I expected it to fit better than it does. They advertised a low price until I placed the order. It was then that I was informed that having the hardtop option on my boat (even though I checked the proper box) the cost of the Carver cover would be more by about 200 bucks. They also advertise that the cover is good for trailering. Well that was until I opened the box and read that this cover is not recommended for trailering. Well I do have to trailer it from the house to the marina for winter storage. The marina is close enough and the roads are slow so I'm going to do it anyway at my risk.

If I was going to use more than to keep the fall leaves out of the boat, I most likely would have sent it back and eaten the restocking fee.

I'll keep using the cover and when it dies I will more than likely get one that fits better even though it will be double the cost.
Never thought trailing a boat w/a cover was good idea. I.e. on a freeway doing 60+ mph. That's just common sense.

Yeah, of course short distance at slow speeds isn't going to be an issue. You don't need to be a rocket scientist for that one.
BuckinCali is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 120
Default

Originally Posted by Mist-Rest View Post
I just took delivery of a Carver cover in Sept.
For owning such a popular boat I expected it to fit better than it does. They advertised a low price until I placed the order. It was then that I was informed that having the hardtop option on my boat (even though I checked the proper box) the cost of the Carver cover would be more by about 200 bucks. They also advertise that the cover is good for trailering. Well that was until I opened the box and read that this cover is not recommended for trailering. Well I do have to trailer it from the house to the marina for winter storage. The marina is close enough and the roads are slow so I'm going to do it anyway at my risk.

If I was going to use more than to keep the fall leaves out of the boat, I most likely would have sent it back and eaten the restocking fee.

I'll keep using the cover and when it dies I will more than likely get one that fits better even though it will be double the cost.
Never thought trailing a boat w/a cover was good idea. That's just common sense. I.e. on a freeway doing 60+ mph.

Yeah, of course short distance at slow speeds isn't going to be an issue. You don't need to be a rocket scientist for that one.
BuckinCali is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:38 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MA and ME
Posts: 16,795
Default

Originally Posted by BuckinCali View Post
Never thought trailing a boat w/a cover was good idea. That's just common sense. I.e. on a freeway doing 60+ mph.

Yeah, of course short distance at slow speeds isn't going to be an issue. You don't need to be a rocket scientist for that one.

Are you serious?

That's funny. They advertize using their covers for trailering and I see many boats being trailered at 65-70 MPH all over the northeast. Somebody better tell Master Craft, Sea Ray, Cobalt, and many others it's not a good idea.
Mist-Rest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 314
Default

Bass Pro Shop online offers boat covers for boats with T-Tops. $550 or so. It may not fit like a custom but its 1/2 the price and has a three year warranty.

I've been quoted at least $1,200 for my 23 footer and need to leave the boat at his place for the installation. Not gonna happen.
The Contractor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:26 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Beach
Posts: 3
Default

I just got my very first WindStorm boat cover from Discount Boat Cover and I really love it. The cost of the cover was $285 and I found a really good coupon code that took off almost $30. I got it and it fits my boat so well.
live2boat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:14 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maple Shade, New Jersey
Posts: 1,964
Default

Commanderofmyunit, amen. I am a dealer for Seal Skin and my customers love their covers. However, depending on the size of the boat, I do often quote custom-made covers under $800. Most center console V-hulls around 25ft and down are under $800. Some smaller cuddy's are under $800 also. My custom covers are made by Fisher Canvas. Right now I am offering 10% off, then 10% off that price.
Good time to buy a cover is in the off season.
Didn't mean to ring my own bell, but I love talking boat covers.
Coverguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: mobile, al
Posts: 802
Default

Try ttopcovers.com. I think they save the pattern of boat covers they make. If they have made a cover for your model boat, it can be made without you having to take your boat in. Competitively priced.
tkramerv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,975
Default

Originally Posted by Sprockets View Post
I bought a Carver Polyguard cover through Iboats.com for my 18'cc without a T-Top. I've only had it about 4 months but so far I am very happy with it. For semi-custom, it fits really good.

Over the years I've had a bunch of covers ranging from a tarp to the sub $100 cheapos to custom. There is a certain level of quality you need to hit to have a product that will last. My guess is that it will be over your budget but it is worth looking at.
I bought the same one. Have had it about 18 months and has held up very well. Mine covers a poling platform also. I paid around $350.00. Watch for deals that include the tie-down straps. I use to go thru a cheap one ($150.00) once a year. IMO it pays to buy a better one. Good investment
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: