The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   The Boating Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum-14/)
-   -   Ameracat 27 / New Props & #'s (https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/456255-ameracat-27-new-props-s.html)

Offshore Fun 09-25-2012 06:26 PM

Ameracat 27 Gen II / 1 year review
 
3 Attachment(s)
The build of our new Ameracat 27
The wife and I love our offshore fishing and had a 23' center console and most weekends the seas did not cooperate for our boat. We did a lot of research and decided on the Ameracat 27 for our needs. (getting older and needed a better ride)
We called Scott and Steve at Ameracat and they were patient at taking us out on multi sea trials. First one seas were to flat (lake Atlantic). They were more than happy to let us come back when the seas were up and try again. Seas were up and inlet was nasty with a strong outgoing tide and east wind. We loved the ride and placed the order.
They showed us again their great patients with our many changes with design and options.
Were going with the new 150 Merc 4s motors.
The boat should be coming out of the mold this week and Steve already started sending us pictures of the build.

CapnDean 09-25-2012 06:41 PM

I have the 26' Twin Vee which is amazingly similar in hull design. I am very happy with mine. I have read that Ameracat resolved many of the problems that the earlier Twin Vees had. (Scupper drains too close to the water, cheap hardware and a few other issues). FWIW with twin 115's I experience similar speed performance and slightly better fuel economy than a similarly equipped TV26 with twin 140's.

The ride is very smooth in anything less than 5'. Above 5' it is stable and safe. My worst ride to date in mine --- 8-10' following seas... I just could not get a comfortable cruise speed. Too fast and it wanted to spear the back of the waves as we surfed down the face, too slow and you just kinda wallered around in the hole.

I would like to try the 8-10's again in much deeper water where the wave period is different...I might think better than I do now. Good luck with yours - - I am buying a new one as soon as this one (04 model) wears out.

slickster 09-25-2012 06:42 PM

Think suzuki 175's....no way I'd go with the mercs...but that's just me..

Offshore Fun 09-25-2012 06:57 PM

CapnDean

Thanks for the good luck. We went with the Ameracat in hopes it won't wear out to soon. Been thru a few to many boats in the past and I think this one will last for quite a few years.

Offshore Fun 09-25-2012 07:02 PM

Slickster

I was alwas a Yamaha guy so the F150's would have been my 2nd choice

DavenFla 09-25-2012 07:18 PM


Originally Posted by Offshore Fun (Post 4960994)
Slickster

I was alwas a Yamaha guy so the F150's would have been my 2nd choice

Do you have numbers with the 150 Merc's? I like the new design and the Merc 150 has 20% fewer moving parts then the 150 yamaha... so says Merc. I haven't counted them.

Offshore Fun 09-25-2012 07:28 PM

I dont have any #'s with the new merc's. You could find a thread for the original 27 with the new merc's. I'll be glad to post all the #'s once we get it wet, along with all the pics of the build on the way.

poolman FTP 09-25-2012 09:10 PM

I'm very interested in this one as well

Offshore Fun 09-26-2012 04:05 PM

I'm hoping for around 2.5 mpg @ 30 mph cruise.

Offshore Fun 09-26-2012 05:46 PM

2 new pic's
 
2 Attachment(s)
Bottom step of bow, 4 1/2' fish box & 2 1/2' cooler/storage.
2 hatch doors in face of bow for storage.
Windlass on bow.

Aft seating with hatches under removable cushions port & starboard for storage/cooler. Removable backrests that will mount in 2 rod holders on transom behind seats when needed.
Center baitwell.

Capt. Steve Barnes 09-26-2012 05:52 PM

You might get over 2 MPG with a light load but when you get loaded up to go offshore you better shoot for 2 MPG so you will not be disapointed. I have the original 27 with new Mercs and average about 2 MPG. Only have about 50 hours on them so far but really like the new Mercs. I had 150 Suzukis on my last boat. So far I like the Mercs better.

CaptainMadMike 09-26-2012 05:59 PM

I also have a 26 ft twin vee with almost 2000 hrs on it Hope another ?? years. Have spent some money with Tommy the glass man hope to get a couple more years out of the Madness Please keep us all informed on your performance numbers, ride etc good luck with your new ride

Offshore Fun 09-26-2012 06:06 PM

Capt. Steve Barns

Glad you like the mercs. Do you see 2 mpg with a full tank of fuel and loaded for fishing ?
What do you see with a half tank and a medium load with 2 or 4 people running 30 mph?
At 30 mph are you running about 4000 rpm?

Thanks

Capt. Steve Barnes 09-26-2012 07:53 PM


Originally Posted by Offshore Fun (Post 4963983)
Capt. Steve Barns

Glad you like the mercs. Do you see 2 mpg with a full tank of fuel and loaded for fishing ?
What do you see with a half tank and a medium load with 2 or 4 people running 30 mph?
At 30 mph are you running about 4000 rpm?

Thanks

Yes I am about 4000 rpm at 30 mph. My fuel tank is only 105 gal so not much difference full or half tank. I have only been calculating fuel usage the old fashion way and it has been averaging around 2 mpg. I need to get my smartcraft network set up properly so I can check numbers at different rpms. Waiting on a plug from Ameracat so I can network both engines together and I also bought a Merc monitor so I can read engine info on my simrad. I'm right in the middle of fall fishing and dont have time to get the network fixed right now. What I really cant believe is that Merc does not have any diagrams of how to configure the network. I have not picked up my merc monitor from the dealer yet but im hopeing there is some better instructions than what I got with my smartcraft guages.

Offshore Fun 09-28-2012 05:58 PM

New pics / out of mold
 
5 Attachment(s)
New pics from Steve today of our new toy.

nobic0213 09-29-2012 06:54 PM


Originally Posted by Offshore Fun (Post 4970229)
New pics from Steve today of our new toy.

What a beauty!!!! The ride of this hull will amaze anyone. I think I love this boat more than my wife but if I mention that she will stop working and I will be out of money for fuel:bashhh:

Bullshipper 09-29-2012 11:03 PM

Those are all color photos

CANARIANFISHER 09-30-2012 01:20 AM

In regards to the build, I am surprised to see some vertical blue stryrofoam strips in the liner/cap piece, like if instead of those pics being pics of the build of your boat, those where pics of the build of the plug or pics of the build of the liner/cap without a mould, like in a one off contruction, also suprised to see no hatches in the sole of the cockpit ....
you must send more pics ....

Coral Head 09-30-2012 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 981577





.

DavenFla 09-30-2012 09:32 AM


Originally Posted by CANARIANFISHER (Post 4972825)
In regards to the build, I am surprised to see some vertical blue stryrofoam strips in the liner/cap piece, ....

I believe it's Airex High Density Foam Board ... not styrofoam

Capt. Steve Barnes 09-30-2012 10:10 AM

There is no cap. The hull is built in a mold and the gunwals are formed with foam and glassed. The hull is molded but the inside of the baots can be one off customs. Yes the blue you are seeing is airex foam board.

Offshore Fun 09-30-2012 03:04 PM

Thanks Bullshipper & Capt Steve Barnes for answering those questions. I've been busy this weekend and just had time to check in. I'll be posting more pics as I get them. Steve seems to be sending a few every couple of days. After we take delivery I'll be posting many pics for those who want to see (along with some bloody decks, we hope) and all the #'s for those who are asking about the new mercs with this new hull.
After we visited with Scott this weekend and got to see it ourselves, we cant wait to see what it can do.

CANARIANFISHER 10-01-2012 12:23 AM

so, this way gives you more flexibility when a customer wants something different .... well thought ... and not so many molds around the shop

Coral Head 10-01-2012 03:49 PM

I see how the hull is built in a mold, but what materials and processes are used to lay it up?


:tht_rulez:

DavenFla 10-01-2012 04:31 PM

http://ameracat.com/

Their web site is comprehensive.

Coral Head 10-01-2012 04:41 PM


Originally Posted by DavenFla (Post 4977203)
http://ameracat.com/

Their web site is comprehensive.

Thanks :thumbsup:

CaptainMadMike 10-01-2012 05:26 PM


Originally Posted by DavenFla (Post 4977203)
http://ameracat.com/

Their web site is comprehensive.

The pricing link does not work do you need to call them ;?

DavenFla 10-01-2012 06:20 PM


Originally Posted by CaptainMadMike (Post 4977364)
The pricing link does not work do you need to call them ;?

Well ...since I've no connection with Amercat your guess is as good as mine.;? Let conscience be your guide.

SEATOAD 10-01-2012 06:39 PM

Very interested. I can't wait too see the finished product.

Laka 10-05-2012 05:19 PM

Please post more updates with pics.

Offshore Fun 10-05-2012 06:48 PM

I'll be posting more pics as I get them.

Offshore Fun 10-13-2012 03:04 PM

Updates
 
She's coming along and should be ready in a few weeks.

Ameracat 27
Twin Mercury 150 4s

We went over the electronics placements a few days ago

Mercury smartCraft gauges
humminbird 898csi
Garmin 740s with gxm 51 weather
Garmin auto pilot
Vhf
Remote Go Light on T-Top

LED front and rear spreader lights
LED under T-Top light (red & white)
Lewmar Pro Fish 700 Windless
House Battery with VSR
Saltwater washdown
8 Gunnel rod holders
Under gunnel rod holders
Center livewell and two seats with storage in transom
Kingfish rod holders
6 transom rod holders
Divided fishbox in bow step

I'll be posting updated pics as soon as I get them

Offshore Fun 10-30-2012 06:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not much new except these 2 pics.
I should be getting updates and more pics tomorrow

THE BARRACUDA 10-30-2012 07:25 PM

Those Mec 150's look real sharp.

Offshore Fun 10-30-2012 07:58 PM


Originally Posted by THE BARRACUDA (Post 5061042)
Those Mec 150's look real sharp.

They will look even sharper in a week or so when I get to see how they run

elbanko 10-31-2012 03:28 PM


Originally Posted by Offshore Fun (Post 4960881)
The build of our new Ameracat 27
The wife and I love our offshore fishing and had a 23' center console and most weekends the seas did not cooperate for our boat. We did a lot of research and decided on the Ameracat 27 for our needs. (getting older and needed a better ride)
We called Scott and Steve at Ameracat and they were patient at taking us out on multi sea trials. First one seas were to flat (lake Atlantic). They were more than happy to let us come back when the seas were up and try again. Seas were up and inlet was nasty with a strong outgoing tide and east wind. We loved the ride and placed the order.
They showed us again their great patients with our many changes with design and options.
Were going with the new 150 Merc 4s motors.
The boat should be coming out of the mold this week and Steve already started sending us pictures of the build.

I've met Steve and have the utmost respect for him and his boats. I looked at an Americat 27 w/merc 150 f/s and fell in love with it. Best boat I've ever seen. Unfortunatly the boat was just a little out of reach for me financially. I wish I could have swung the deal, I settled with a 2001 Boston Whaler 260 Outrage, and bought it from a terrible shoddy dealer, Boaters Exchange, and have had nothing but problems with the engines, they didn't deliver the boat in the condition it was promised, and the work they did was soooo bad that it has caused further problems. You made a great choice buying a boat from Americat, like I said, these guys are "A1" plus in my book and so is their product.

elbanko 10-31-2012 03:30 PM


Originally Posted by Offshore Fun (Post 5012539)
She's coming along and should be ready in a few weeks.

Ameracat 27
Twin Mercury 150 4s

We went over the electronics placements a few days ago

Mercury smartCraft gauges
humminbird 898csi
Garmin 740s with gxm 51 weather
Garmin auto pilot
Vhf
Remote Go Light on T-Top

LED front and rear spreader lights
LED under T-Top light (red & white)
Lewmar Pro Fish 700 Windless
House Battery with VSR
Saltwater washdown
8 Gunnel rod holders
Under gunnel rod holders
Center livewell and two seats with storage in transom
Kingfish rod holders
6 transom rod holders
Divided fishbox in bow step

I'll be posting updated pics as soon as I get them

That is gonna be one awesome boat!

Offshore Fun 10-31-2012 03:37 PM

Thanks Elbanko, they are great guys
You must have seen our boat.
To bad you couldn't swing one.
Hope you get the problems worked out with your boat

Offshore Fun 11-04-2012 02:11 PM

Should be picking her up on Friday.
I'll try to get a bunch of pics posted over the weekend.
Also hoping to get out in the Gulf over the weekend to get a few red grouper to break her in.

Offshore Fun 11-06-2012 05:21 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Getting the final touches ready for our pick up


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.