Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Time to add spreader lights to T top...which ones?

Notices
The Boating Forum

Time to add spreader lights to T top...which ones?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:51 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mobile Al
Posts: 597
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Time to add spreader lights to T top...which ones?

I added my T top some time ago with the intention of adding lights to it later down the road. Well its that time so I figured I would ask here and find the best ones to get

Not going to spend much time out at night, but when I need light I want to have it. Maybe could get by with just one in the middle if it is bright enough?

Also considering a forward light as well.

One more question, should I run lights in with courtesy light switch or seperate switch? And if I and forward and aft lights should they be together or seperate as well?

Here is the T top for reference. It folds down/forward so I will be running wire through the front uprights

Thanks guys

Name:  BayBoat.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  77.3 KB
Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hallandale Beach
Posts: 671
Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120926250418...ht_2514wt_1163

Takes a few weeks to get here from China, or you could pay double and buy the same lights and get them within a week from vendors on here who buy in bulk and stock them.

Get one facing front and one facing rear will be plenty
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MA and ME
Posts: 16,795
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

I bought Lumitec LED's and I'm happy with it. You should really switch them (frt and rear) separately.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
MB Marine Electronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 1,110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Well the latest greatest in spreader lights are the Lumitec Caprera2 LED 2 color spreaders. They are available in blue/white or red/white and are easily switched between the colors by simply turning the switch off and back on again. If you dont need or want the 2 color option they also make the Caprera which is just a white LED spreader light. As far as quality, fit , and finish goes you will have a hard time finding a nicer spreader light in the price range. The Lumitecs are also made in the USA right around the corner from us in Delray Beach Florida. If you want to spend a little less money you can go with one of the imports which are single color and actually are a litlle brighter than the Lumitecs but the build qulaity is not as high. As far as switching goes, I recomend the spreaders and courtesy lights be on seperate switches. As for the front and rear spreaders go, its your personal choice I would personally like them seperate but how much room do you have to add switches. Hope this is helpfull. Check out the links below to see the lights I wrote about. Good luck

http://store.mbmarineelectronics.com...spreader-light

http://store.mbmarineelectronics.com...ed-flood-light

http://store.mbmarineelectronics.com...spreader-light
Attached Images    
Old 08-22-2012, 08:10 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 5,299
Received 271 Likes on 175 Posts
Default

I got mine from costal night lights nd have been happy with them. I have mine on their own switch seperate from the courtesy lights just because I had a switch for spreader lights already.

I have one in the front and one in the back of the top and it is plenty of light. My switch turns them both on and off. I don't every have a situation where I want one on and not the other.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mobile Al
Posts: 597
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Thanks for the replies. I'll be sure and post some pics once I make up my mind
Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Madeira Beach, FL
Posts: 1,204
Received 114 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DreamWeaver21 View Post
I got mine from costal night lights nd have been happy with them. I have mine on their own switch seperate from the courtesy lights just because I had a switch for spreader lights already.

I have one in the front and one in the back of the top and it is plenty of light. My switch turns them both on and off. I don't every have a situation where I want one on and not the other.
Exactly what he said. I have Coastal Night Lights spreaders, under gunnel, and under water lights and I am very pleased. The spreaders are bright and priced right. Chris is a class act to do business with, very accomodating. He's on this forum as Scarab Chris.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:08 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,437
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I have Coastal Night Lights' spreaders as well. I have two for the back deck and they make daylight back there. Great value and Chris is topnotch. Easy to get a hold of and very helpful.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Everglades City, FL
Posts: 224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Got mine from Scarab Chris on here. And they light up my boat like a football stadium. I have one forward and rear centered on a switch and then two others that face out from the rear of the t top on another switch. Love them.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:27 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the Flats
Posts: 7,416
Received 842 Likes on 422 Posts
Default

Lumitec Caprera2 LED 2 color spreaders. Just got two installed on my Bayboat white reds....These are AWESOME LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bunnell Fl.
Posts: 1,403
Likes: 0
Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MB Marine Electronics View Post
Well the latest greatest in spreader lights are the Lumitec Caprera2 LED 2 color spreaders. They are available in blue/white or red/white and are easily switched between the colors by simply turning the switch off and back on again. If you dont need or want the 2 color option they also make the Caprera which is just a white LED spreader light. As far as quality, fit , and finish goes you will have a hard time finding a nicer spreader light in the price range. The Lumitecs are also made in the USA right around the corner from us in Delray Beach Florida. If you want to spend a little less money you can go with one of the imports which are single color and actually are a litlle brighter than the Lumitecs but the build qulaity is not as high. As far as switching goes, I recomend the spreaders and courtesy lights be on seperate switches. As for the front and rear spreaders go, its your personal choice I would personally like them seperate but how much room do you have to add switches. Hope this is helpfull. Check out the links below to see the lights I wrote about. Good luck

http://store.mbmarineelectronics.com...spreader-light

http://store.mbmarineelectronics.com...ed-flood-light

http://store.mbmarineelectronics.com...spreader-light
I agree - love them, the white ones are dimmable 3 way which is nice as they can be too bright depending on what you are doing. They are small incredibly powerful, good looking and low amp draw. Very high quality and the company is fantasic with any issues (they will send you a new one well after the warr. period) I had two, fore and aft on my Ranger 2410 bay - and now five on my 28 Whitewater. The multi-color is the way to go as far as bugs, bugs love white, not so much with blue and least with red.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:35 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,287
Likes: 0
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

another vote for Chris at Coastal night lights.

aside from that though, i think you need to figure out how your going to mount the lights to the top. I cant tell if you have mounting pads or brackets pre-welding to the top. if not, the first challange will be how to attach any of the lights to the top.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Chris at Coastal Lights. Great guy to work with and top notch quality. Small shop that got started here and has been successful due to support from THT'ers who appreciate quality and customer support. I just ordered more product from him and he is awesome to work with.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 1,939
Likes: 0
Received 271 Likes on 162 Posts
Default

Chris at Coastal Night Lights. Great product and he stands behind it 100%
Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miami/Upper Keys
Posts: 2,336
Likes: 0
Received 62 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chesapeake Troller View Post
Chris at Coastal Lights. Great guy to work with and top notch quality. Small shop that got started here and has been successful due to support from THT'ers who appreciate quality and customer support. I just ordered more product from him and he is awesome to work with.
This.

I have had them for 2 years and and very happy with them.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Manassas Va USA
Posts: 4,392
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chesapeake Troller View Post
Chris at Coastal Lights. Great guy to work with and top notch quality. Small shop that got started here and has been successful due to support from THT'ers who appreciate quality and customer support. I just ordered more product from him and he is awesome to work with.

X2. Great lights for sure.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mobile Al
Posts: 597
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gtrfred View Post
another vote for Chris at Coastal night lights.

aside from that though, i think you need to figure out how your going to mount the lights to the top. I cant tell if you have mounting pads or brackets pre-welding to the top. if not, the first challange will be how to attach any of the lights to the top.

Yep I have mounting pads that were welded into the top
Old 08-22-2012, 08:28 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,019
Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Default DoorKicker,

thanks for your service to our country! Hope you get your lights to your satisfaction. I'm one of the few that have not dealt with Chris I guess, but I will say, he is always helpful to anyone asking questions about LEDs. God Bless and Semper Fi.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Murrells Inlet SC
Posts: 156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Whatever lights you decide on use a good relay Bosch is one of better ones nice boat btw
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vero Beach, Fl.
Posts: 265
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Again for Chris @ Coastal Nightlights....have 3 spreaders and his under-gunnel strip lights, I can assure you he stands behind his product if any problems. The price is right, you're supporting a small biz off the site and he's a stand-up guy....take a close look if it works for you. My switch is a "rocker" switch, up lights up just the back, down lights up the front as well....

Thank you for your service....

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.