Notices
The Boating Forum

Watersnake trolling motors...

Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Prairieville, La.
Posts: 229
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Watersnake trolling motors...

Anybody have an opinion on them??? Are they still in business?? Went to their web site and called them to find a dealer so I could look at them and the number wasn't in service anymore. Called the number to find a service center and spoke to someone at Big R and he referred me to 2 supposed dealers in my area (Baton Rouge)....called them both and they had never heard of them.....Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Concord, MA
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Old thread - bumping it up.
Anyone have recent experience with Watersnake trolling motors?
Thanks
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Crap....Walmart sells them.....they bounce around and rattle
Old 05-17-2013, 07:20 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the Flats
Posts: 7,476
Received 895 Likes on 447 Posts
Default

Buy a Minn Kota.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:01 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Concord, MA
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joejoe7716 View Post
Crap....Walmart sells them.....they bounce around and rattle
Personal experience? Is this what you have heard or based on experience?
Details please!
I see poor reviews for Minn Kota and motor guide lately too... Seems like quality may have dropped on all of these lately. Does anyone have actual recent experience?
If watersnake warranty is for real then it seems like it is worth a shot...the warranty service center is the same place as for minn Kota and motorguide locally...
Old 05-18-2013, 08:14 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kchaudha View Post
Personal experience? Is this what you have heard or based on experience?
Details please!
I see poor reviews for Minn Kota and motor guide lately too... Seems like quality may have dropped on all of these lately. Does anyone have actual recent experience?
If watersnake warranty is for real then it seems like it is worth a shot...the warranty service center is the same place as for minn Kota and motorguide locally...
Had one on my buddys 17 foot skiff....lasted 1 1/2 trips.....returned for full refund and got a Minn kota...still on boat
Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Concord, MA
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joejoe7716 View Post
Had one on my buddys 17 foot skiff....lasted 1 1/2 trips.....returned for full refund and got a Minn kota...still on boat
What happened to it?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:47 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 1,564
Likes: 0
Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

How good can their warranty be?? They can't even keep a phone line operational nor do they know who their dealers are. Buy a min-kota
Old 05-18-2013, 12:09 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Concord, MA
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Really? I just called the local service place in MA. Guy said he has only had about 5 ever come in for service. No specific issues from his perspective but he said sometimes it takes awhile to get parts from the distributor in S.Carolina.
I may very well get a minn kota but its not very productive to say to just get one without using reasoning or evaluating options. Then again, most folks are just lemmings and probably like that type of basic advice. Personally I'd like to evaluate the options and data first and then make a determination of which to buy.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:49 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 4,306
Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kchaudha View Post
Really? I just called the local service place in MA. Guy said he has only had about 5 ever come in for service. No specific issues from his perspective but he said sometimes it takes awhile to get parts from the distributor in S.Carolina.
I may very well get a minn kota but its not very productive to say to just get one without using reasoning or evaluating options. Then again, most folks are just lemmings and probably like that type of basic advice. Personally I'd like to evaluate the options and data first and then make a determination of which to buy.
Must have forgotten where you asked that question

This is THT
Old 05-18-2013, 02:14 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,305
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

All of the people saying buy a minnkota are giving it a positive review. They sell so many units that three are bound to be a bunch of negative reviews out there. Most people that are happy with something they bought only give a positive review when asked. Get a bad one and people take out bulletin board ads and flame them on every forum on the internet. I have been running a mk ST80 with ipilot for a few years now and I love it. My steering box locked up on me and they sent me the parts to rebuild it a year out of warranty for free. I plan on running their products from now on.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Concord, MA
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

So... anyone else who actually owns a Watersnake?
No Minn Kotas need apply Looking for watersnake reviews
Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kchaudha View Post
What happened to it?
There was some kind of rubber ball were the shaft met the mount.....when ever you were in any chop at all the the motor would slam the deck. That rubber ball fell appart and the trolling motor just flopped around....

The whole thing felt cheap.

From the first time we used it the motor would torque the mount and it would bend horribly

Hope you have better luck than we did if you decide to buy one
Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Concord, MA
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks joejoe - useful info
Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 AM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I won't a 54 lb. thrust saltwater water snake trolling motor.
It is actual my second one. The first one I bought lasted about a year and then something went wrong with it electronically and I sent it back. They honored there warranty but were unable to fix it and sent me a new one. I got that one last fall and used it twice and put the boat up for the year. Went I took the boat back out this year it would not work right so I sent it back and I'm waiting to get it back now. My suggestion to y'all is to pay the extra 600 and get a MK because even though they honor there warranty it is a piece of crap and isn't worth the money nor the name.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:50 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watersnake

Originally Posted by kchaudha View Post
So... anyone else who actually owns a Watersnake?
No Minn Kotas need apply Looking for watersnake reviews
I own one and was happy with it until I broke the shaft having problem locating replacement with out ordering from Australia.I know from looking now that the Minn Kota has a bigger shaft almost 1/4 inch larger diameter

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.