Notices

trailerable and rough water

Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Default trailerable and rough water

I know this is a big topic but i never found the answer to exactly what i was looking for. I have been looking into finding a boat that i can still trailer but can handle the rough waters in Hawaii. I am not looking for a boat that can hit 30+ mph but more for a boat that can handle some large chop. Fishing in 6' seas here is a regular and i could easily find myself in 10+ on really nasty days. I probably wont be fishing in the 10+ weather but i still want to be able to make it home with no question of safety. Would prefer outboards but willing to compromise to I/O diesel. Been looking at cat hulls but afraid of how they will ride going into the headwind at trolling speed. Open to Mono or Cat design just wanted some input.

Thanks,

Nick
lanikaifisher is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,216
Default

When you say trailerable, what do you have in mind? What's your tow vehicle? How far to the ramp(s)? Where will in be stored?
Cooper is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,974
Default

42 yellowfin

ShaftINIT is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ScarabChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dania Beach, FL
Posts: 28,075
Default



ScarabChris is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Looking for something in the 24-28 foot range. Prefer twin outboards or inboard diesel with a decent cruising range. I know it will be a rough ride no matter what based on my size range but just looking for my best options. Willing to refurbish old hulls that are not commercially made anymore too. Will be mostly used for trolling but would like a sleep/storage area for overnight trips. I know it wont be a luxury staying over night on but its meant to be a fish killing boat with room to sleep on for longer voyages.
lanikaifisher is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 1,423
Default

How many second intervals for those 6-10 foot seas??? if they are very steep, would not think I would want to go out in that on purpose with anything that is trailerable.
Regulator29 is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:17 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Waianae HI
Posts: 31
Default

25 Force, 26 yellowfin, 33 Kamicraft all will work



Originally Posted by lanikaifisher View Post
I know this is a big topic but i never found the answer to exactly what i was looking for. I have been looking into finding a boat that i can still trailer but can handle the rough waters in Hawaii. I am not looking for a boat that can hit 30+ mph but more for a boat that can handle some large chop. Fishing in 6' seas here is a regular and i could easily find myself in 10+ on really nasty days. I probably wont be fishing in the 10+ weather but i still want to be able to make it home with no question of safety. Would prefer outboards but willing to compromise to I/O diesel. Been looking at cat hulls but afraid of how they will ride going into the headwind at trolling speed. Open to Mono or Cat design just wanted some input.

Thanks,

Nick
Anykine77 is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks Anykine. Been looking at those just wanted to see what the guys on here thought. 25 force is prolly what ill try get but the 33 kami is the dream rig for sure. What is your take on the Cat hulls?
lanikaifisher is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 1,879
Default

26 foot Glacier Bay variants are very trailerable, reasonably priced, and probably some of the very best rough water boats in that size range, assuming you don't need to doing over 30kts.
TopCat is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 3,474
Default

I have been on a few different cats and personally have yet to be impressed at all. Ride in a steep chop was rough, turning it dug hard, and that slapping sound of the waves going through the tunnel is very annoying.

A 10ft. wave is VERY big and im not sure a 25-28 ft. boat would handle it very well, but like another said the 25 Force and a few of the yellowfins.

Just curious where do you fish? How close are these waves? Seems like it would be nearly impossible to troll in those size seas, in that size boat and actally fish, but what do I know, any pictures trolling in these seas?
sailfish18 is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:13 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Default

I dont fish in those kind of seas but you gotta be able to deal with them at times when going out or coming back through channels between islands. Like i said i don't plan on fishing in them or going fast, i just want the boat to handle. The hawaii made boats are probably what i will end up with as they are tailored to the ocean around the islands. Was just curious to see other feedback or find other brands. 6' is as big as i would attempt to fish in and saying that the intervals may vary.

Im referring to open ocean swells
lanikaifisher is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: FLA
Posts: 433
Default

pm sent
ALGI is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 443
Default

Cape Cod 26. Trailerable, inboard diesel, 3mpg, good range, built like a brick Shtthouse
Sittin' Low is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 99
Default

Radon
crasher5000 is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OV, DE
Posts: 665
Default

I KNOW I am gonna get slammed on this one!
But our 26 foot Twin Vee has been out in worse and gotten us home. It trolls OK into a head sea but it does have a cabin (Weekender) and canvas (sneezes a bit).
The one caveat on Twin Vee is construction and ours is now being "fixed up" and reinforced for more future adventures.
It is easy to trailer and launch so I would definitely look at top quality Cats. Maybe World Cat for an option.
CaptainMadMike is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:46 PM
  #16  
Marine Advertiser
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Half Moon Bay
Posts: 110
Default

I agree with TopCat, the Glacier Bay's are excellent in chop...best I have been on without a doubt. Or how bout a 1980's Whaler 27' Full Cabin? I have heard you cannot stuff the bow on one of those into the back of a wave if you tried. I personally would love a Whaler Conquest 255.

Sailfish-10' is really not that big by West Coast standards, especially Half Moon Bay. I've taken my 21' Whaler out in 9.5' @ 9 seconds, with zero visibility fog. Not fun, but doable. I have also been out in a 23' Proline pulling crab pots in a 13' swell @ 13 seconds with Mavericks breaking at 35'+ just a half mile away. Hawaii gets just as big, if not bigger. Here we call anything under 5' flat calm.
Stern Saver is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 05:16 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 3,474
Default

Originally Posted by Stern Saver View Post
I agree with TopCat, the Glacier Bay's are excellent in chop...best I have been on without a doubt. Or how bout a 1980's Whaler 27' Full Cabin? I have heard you cannot stuff the bow on one of those into the back of a wave if you tried. I personally would love a Whaler Conquest 255.

Sailfish-10' is really not that big by West Coast standards, especially Half Moon Bay. I've taken my 21' Whaler out in 9.5' @ 9 seconds, with zero visibility fog. Not fun, but doable. I have also been out in a 23' Proline pulling crab pots in a 13' swell @ 13 seconds with Mavericks breaking at 35'+ just a half mile away. Hawaii gets just as big, if not bigger. Here we call anything under 5' flat calm.
Thanks for the clear up on the seas thing. Thats what I wa thinking but just didn't know. Sounds like a cat might be the way to go if speed isnt really the main goal (not saying cats cant go fast). I would check out the Freeman's as they seems to be very well built cats.
sailfish18 is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,184
Default

26 regulator. if you have the right tow vehicle. buddies got a dodge diesel and tows everywher, but with the bracket i think it is like 31 feet long. also most states it is illeagal to tow over 8.5 feet wide. my parker is 9.5 wide, havent had an issue yet(knock on wood) but you technically need permits to do it legally in nj. also many other states as well
cb_usmc is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,746
Default

I know Radon's are very popular in Hawaii, at one time there was a splashed version being made there. How far is it to the fishing grounds? if less than 30 kn I would want a modified V hull verses a deep V.
jayyy is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S/W FL
Posts: 688
Unhappy Barf....

Originally Posted by lanikaifisher View Post
Looking for something in the 24-28 foot range. Prefer twin outboards or inboard diesel with a decent cruising range. I know it will be a rough ride no matter what based on my size range but just looking for my best options. Willing to refurbish old hulls that are not commercially made anymore too. Will be mostly used for trolling but would like a sleep/storage area for overnight trips. I know it wont be a luxury staying over night on but its meant to be a fish killing boat with room to sleep on for longer voyages.
"Sleep"?.....Fishing in 6' seas and 10' +/- on real nasty days (6' is not "Nasty")?
Bring a "Puke" (lrg) bag.

I'll buy my fish at the market that day.

Thank you Jesus for Florida!
Rascal1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread