Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

1962 28ft M.E.M.C.O. Sportfisher Restoration

Notices
Like Tree429Likes

1962 28ft M.E.M.C.O. Sportfisher Restoration

Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 PM
  #241  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Posts: 1,602
Default I have ranned out of space

When you have to store things on the roof it's time to move. Tomorrow I will be closing on a house that's 3 times as big as the one that I'm in. Some of you have probably wondered how does he work on that boat sooooo much without his wife complaining? She has already told me NO boat work until her house is renovated. I won't be doing any boat work for a month while I work on our new house. The pictures/updates will slow down some. I have enough pictures that will last me a month until I start back. When I come back the restoration will move faster then it was going. I couldn't really tare the boat apart because I new I was about to move, plus I didn't have the space to do so. Thanks for your patients. Don't give up on me

Name:  IMAG0503.jpg
Views: 2759
Size:  98.4 KB
28memco is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
  #242  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Posts: 1,602
Default

Originally Posted by obbayer View Post
Before you go changing valves you need to understand that is an ILLEGAL head installation by today's regs. Not when it was built back when, but now.

You need to either just use a porty potty or install a legal head with holding tank and a lockable Y valve. Just in case you get stopped.

Check this out: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/13.htm

I know, I'm a pain.
(Laughing)
28memco is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 PM
  #243  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bayville, NJ
Posts: 1,377
Default

" She has already told me NO boat work until her house is renovated"

Well, let her work on it then, you got a boat to do
obbayer is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 PM
  #244  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,237
Default

Originally Posted by 28memco View Post
She has already told me NO boat work until her house is renovated. I won't be doing any boat work for a month while I work on our new house.

Attachment 230556

make that 3 months (be realistic).......see you in July.....be ready for some heavy duty work...
maxie is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM
  #245  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Posts: 1,602
Default

Originally Posted by obbayer View Post
" She has already told me NO boat work until her house is renovated"

Well, let her work on it then, you got a boat to do
Renovate! Renovate! Did you say let my wife renovate the house? Man, my wife would look for a on/off button on a hammer.
28memco is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 PM
  #246  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Posts: 1,602
Default

Originally Posted by maxie View Post
make that 3 months (be realistic).......see you in July.....be ready for some heavy duty work...
NOOO. It's painting, tile, etc,etc,etc. Nothing major. See you May 1 or sooner
28memco is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM
  #247  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,237
Default

Originally Posted by 28memco View Post
NOOO. It's painting, tile, etc,etc,etc. Nothing major. See you May 1 or sooner
Don't kid yourself...there's a new sheriff in town....never heard about moving into a new house and being done with house projects in a month...just aint happening...take your time on both projects
maxie is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
  #248  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,623
Default

Wow, that is a great looking boat! Will definitely be following your progress.
philgorp is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM
  #249  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Posts: 1,602
Default

Originally Posted by maxie View Post
Don't kid yourself...there's a new sheriff in town....never heard about moving into a new house and being done with house projects in a month...just aint happening...take your time on both projects
I'll make a deal with you. If I'm not done on or before May 1 2012 I'll give you my Captain America tightie whites.
28memco is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:16 PM
  #250  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,237
Default

Originally Posted by 28memco View Post
I'll make a deal with you. If I'm not done on or before May 1 2012 I'll give you my Captain America tightie whites.
Hey hey hey...this is a family website..........and that's totally disgusting.......and the fact that you actually have them and told the entire boating world that you do, tells me you need more than help with the boat rebuild...
maxie is offline  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:19 PM
  #251  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Posts: 1,602
Default Brand New Bilge

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2620
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2592
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 2613
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 2570
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 2599
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 2581
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 2620
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 2627
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 2586
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 2603
Size:  23.6 KB
28memco is offline  
Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 PM
  #252  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wake County, NC
Posts: 626
Default

Originally Posted by maxie View Post
Don't kid yourself...there's a new sheriff in town....never heard about moving into a new house and being done with house projects in a month...just aint happening...take your time on both projects
As fast as he's moved along on thenboat, don't count him out.
CNC Boater is offline  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 PM
  #253  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Posts: 1,602
Default More Bilge painting

I've decided to paint the underneath of the V-birth boards that will be facing the bilge and the two floor hatch covers with bilgekote also. I decided to do this since they will be facing the bilge and subject to moisture/dampness from the bilge.

Name:  20120126_161159.jpg
Views: 2516
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  20120126_121408.jpg
Views: 2518
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  20120126_120141.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  20120126_115639.jpg
Views: 2512
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  20120126_115629.jpg
Views: 2499
Size:  41.7 KB
28memco is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 06:03 AM
  #254  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ormond Beach, Fl
Posts: 117
Default

Originally Posted by 28memco View Post
I'll make a deal with you. If I'm not done on or before May 1 2012 I'll give you my Captain America tightie whites.
Please wash them first! How's the renovation coming?
BColley24 is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 PM
  #255  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,028
Default

I just found this thread tonight. This might be my favorite boat of all time. She is a beauty, and I am glad you are restoring her. If I may offer some suggestions/opinions:

I agree with the guys that said to focus on the mechanical and structural items. Additionally, if it were me, I wouldn't add anything cosmetic that wasn't necessary. The boat is such a classic. You wouldn't put a 2001 Jaguar hood ornament on a '67 Mustang even though the '01 Jaguar has a nice hood ornament. As for the spotlight, even though it's not as handy, either go with a handheld or find one that at least looks like it could be original to the boat. I wouldn't even install a built-in livewell. I'd use a freestanding one when I was fishing. Again, this boat is special just like it is...please don't modernize it.

As for the below-deck mechanical systems, modernize away. Replace all the electrical, hoses, belts, wiring, etc. Get really good fuel filters. If the tanks check out fine, leave them. If not, replace them. Anything above deck and in sight that you replace, try to find something that looks like it fits with the age of the boat. I don't think anything modern-looking is going to enhance the looks of this boat. It's just too awesome a boat to be improved upon (from a looks standpoint).

You've got a really special boat there. (I think I am in love with it ) You are doing a great job. It makes me want to drive down to Jax and help out for a weekend just to say I had a small part in restoring such a great old boat. I can't wait to see how she turns out.
SurfFishLife is offline  
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 AM
  #256  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Posts: 1,602
Default

Originally Posted by BColley24 View Post
Please wash them first! How's the renovation coming?
The renovation is going SLOOOOWWWW. I'm there working on the house (10am till 10pm) everyday I don't have to work. I'm ready to start back working on my boat. When I'm finished with one part of the house something else brake. A large tree that was on my property just fell over and damaged my gate and my neighbour house and gate. So now I'm dealing with that.

Last edited by 28memco; 05-16-2012 at 08:18 PM.
28memco is offline  
Old 05-13-2012, 08:57 AM
  #257  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Posts: 1,602
Default

Originally Posted by SurfFishLife View Post
I just found this thread tonight. This might be my favorite boat of all time. She is a beauty, and I am glad you are restoring her. If I may offer some suggestions/opinions:

I agree with the guys that said to focus on the mechanical and structural items. Additionally, if it were me, I wouldn't add anything cosmetic that wasn't necessary. The boat is such a classic. You wouldn't put a 2001 Jaguar hood ornament on a '67 Mustang even though the '01 Jaguar has a nice hood ornament. As for the spotlight, even though it's not as handy, either go with a handheld or find one that at least looks like it could be original to the boat. I wouldn't even install a built-in livewell. I'd use a freestanding one when I was fishing. Again, this boat is special just like it is...please don't modernize it.

As for the below-deck mechanical systems, modernize away. Replace all the electrical, hoses, belts, wiring, etc. Get really good fuel filters. If the tanks check out fine, leave them. If not, replace them. Anything above deck and in sight that you replace, try to find something that looks like it fits with the age of the boat. I don't think anything modern-looking is going to enhance the looks of this boat. It's just too awesome a boat to be improved upon (from a looks standpoint).

You've got a really special boat there. (I think I am in love with it ) You are doing a great job. It makes me want to drive down to Jax and help out for a weekend just to say I had a small part in restoring such a great old boat. I can't wait to see how she turns out.
Sorry it took me so long to respond to your posting. I'm glad you like the thread/boat. I'm sure you have read from the previously posting on the thread that I had to stop working on the boat because I just bought a house so I'm in the process of renovating it. Once I'm done with that I will start back working on the boat and posting pictures. Thanks for the advice and tips about the boat.

Last edited by 28memco; 05-13-2012 at 09:17 AM.
28memco is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 12:04 PM
  #258  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 316
Default

Very cool project. I have two C.C. builds under my belt and restored a 1914 FL cracker house. I cant imagine trying to do home renovations and have a major boat project under way simultaneously. Best of luck.
dmh22 is offline  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 PM
  #259  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Posts: 1,602
Default

Originally Posted by dmh22 View Post
Very cool project. I have two C.C. builds under my belt and restored a 1914 FL cracker house. I cant imagine trying to do home renovations and have a major boat project under way simultaneously. Best of luck.
Do you have pics of your 1914 FL cracker house that you restored? If so will you post them on my thread? Thanks.
28memco is offline  
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 AM
  #260  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Moncks Corner, SC
Posts: 1,725
Default

I would enjoy pics of that, btw were they saltines or ritz
boatn19 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread