Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

One bad cat...the new 27' COMPMILLENIA 828 BUILD THREAD

Notices

One bad cat...the new 27' COMPMILLENIA 828 BUILD THREAD

Old 10-26-2015, 05:42 AM
  #581  
pas
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 2,084
Default

I am guessing as you go faster you pack more air and hence the same economy at a faster speed.

I had an Eliminator 28 Daytona with twin 375hp 496's and it would get 2 mpg from 40 mph to 70 mph. 1.5 wide open at 90! I realize that is a different kind of cat but I think similar physics at work.
pas is offline  
Old 10-26-2015, 06:21 AM
  #582  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 3,958
Default

Originally Posted by MakoMyDay View Post
How do you go from 2.5@35 on a 27 to 2.5@45 on a 31?
The props that were ordered with the 27' boat were not really tried for optimum performance and he stated he is still getting 2.5 @ 38 w 4 guys and 150 gallons of fuel. With a completely different set of props I got well over 3 with no top, low fuel, and 5 people on board. If the boat was propped differently we all feel the mileage would be better. If Jim decides to build a 31-33 x 10.6" we would do it with the same layup that's on the 39. The layup on my 27 was built for a mission carting 4-5 scientist a day for the BP oil spill averaging 1000 hours a year. Lay up on that boat was slightly different along with a few other details that have been changed the running surface of the new 39'. Mako, don't forget about our side bet on the 39.. 40mph yielding 2.0 mpg..LOL
Jassman is offline  
Old 10-26-2015, 07:07 AM
  #583  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cut Off, LA
Posts: 381
Default

Originally Posted by MakoMyDay View Post
How do you go from 2.5@35 on a 27 to 2.5@45 on a 31?
Hp/weight ratio. Sponson design..... less drag.

The mercury motors on my boat now are favorable for fuel consumption at wot to other engines in its class but fuel consumption through the torque curve is actually more than the df200 inline 4 suzuki motors. I would be nearly 3mpg at 40 loaded with those motors on my cat right now. Fuel flow on those motors at 4000rpm is around 12gph for the set. I know with the zukes propped proper I could stay in alignment for speed to rpm. Yellowfin 26 has a 2.89 fuel efficiency at 33.5mph and over 60@wot. Just the hull weighs more than my cat, full fuel, with motors.

Jeff I pm'd my number to you

Last edited by periok11; 10-26-2015 at 07:25 AM.
periok11 is offline  
Old 10-26-2015, 07:55 AM
  #584  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 8,825
Default

Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
The props that were ordered with the 27' boat were not really tried for optimum performance and he stated he is still getting 2.5 @ 38 w 4 guys and 150 gallons of fuel. With a completely different set of props I got well over 3 with no top, low fuel, and 5 people on board. If the boat was propped differently we all feel the mileage would be better. If Jim decides to build a 31-33 x 10.6" we would do it with the same layup that's on the 39. The layup on my 27 was built for a mission carting 4-5 scientist a day for the BP oil spill averaging 1000 hours a year. Lay up on that boat was slightly different along with a few other details that have been changed the running surface of the new 39'. Mako, don't forget about our side bet on the 39.. 40mph yielding 2.0 mpg..LOL
I didn't forget, it was 2 @ 45 I thought though, either way---I'll double down on this one also. Two cases of beer on the line!

And I don't mean with no fuel, no top, no hatch lids, no seats---a real boat.
MakoMyDay is online now  
Old 10-26-2015, 08:14 AM
  #585  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 2,037
Default

Originally Posted by MakoMyDay View Post
How do you go from 2.5@35 on a 27 to 2.5@45 on a 31?
The 27 has a similar performance to the 22 even thought the displacement is more. We made changes to the hull for the 27, and it had 5' of additional cockpit space with Mercury 150's instead of Suzuki 175"s. Size does matter!

We believe we have a large basket of low hanging fruit available by starting with a clean sheet of paper. Displacement would likely to be close to the same even with another foot and a half of beam.

Shoot, if you are going to go for a big "six" go large and get 300's. I am hearing that this size needs to meet a price point and I think any of the 4 cylinders would be fine to achieve the performance required.
Otseg is offline  
Old 10-26-2015, 12:41 PM
  #586  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 2,037
Default

Originally Posted by pas View Post
I am guessing as you go faster you pack more air and hence the same economy at a faster speed.

I had an Eliminator 28 Daytona with twin 375hp 496's and it would get 2 mpg from 40 mph to 70 mph. 1.5 wide open at 90! I realize that is a different kind of cat but I think similar physics at work.
I don't think "tunnel packing" is going to be used in our marketing.

We had a 29 with ETEC 250 HO's on the board for the owner of the Cobra cat pictured in this ad. Actually he wrote the ad and all of Egret's and Bertram's too. You notice that its profile is shaped like a bullet and the console's leading edge is angled back. It did throw up some nice numbers. It wasn't strictly a flat water boat as a friend told me the roughest SKA tournament he ever fished out of Louisiana had a Cobra Cat blast past the fleet at a terrific pace. They then passed it limping back to shore on one engine, dragging the other engine and transom in the water behind it. The construction was a wee bit agricultural from what interior photos I have seen.
Attached Images  
Otseg is offline  
Old 10-26-2015, 02:15 PM
  #587  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 8,825
Default

Originally Posted by Otseg View Post
The 27 has a similar performance to the 22 even thought the displacement is more. We made changes to the hull for the 27, and it had 5' of additional cockpit space with Mercury 150's instead of Suzuki 175"s. Size does matter!

We believe we have a large basket of low hanging fruit available by starting with a clean sheet of paper. Displacement would likely to be close to the same even with another foot and a half of beam.

Shoot, if you are going to go for a big "six" go large and get 300's. I am hearing that this size needs to meet a price point and I think any of the 4 cylinders would be fine to achieve the performance required.

I'm both "Doubting Thomas" and pulling for this to happen at the same time. I'm guessing it would need to be cobra cat like to pull off those numbers. Worst case scenario is I get a boat ride and have to buy a case or two of beer. Pretty normal weekend as it is anyhow.
MakoMyDay is online now  
Old 10-26-2015, 06:44 PM
  #588  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 3,958
Default

Originally Posted by periok11 View Post
Hp/weight ratio. Sponson design..... less drag. The mercury motors on my boat now are favorable for fuel consumption at wot to other engines in its class but fuel consumption through the torque curve is actually more than the df200 inline 4 suzuki motors. I would be nearly 3mpg at 40 loaded with those motors on my cat right now. Fuel flow on those motors at 4000rpm is around 12gph for the set. I know with the zukes propped proper I could stay in alignment for speed to rpm. Yellowfin 26 has a 2.89 fuel efficiency at 33.5mph and over 60@wot. Just the hull weighs more than my cat, full fuel, with motors. Jeff I pm'd my number to you
sorry bud..been on and off the road delivering boats to KW for the races..just tired and out of gas...Ill call you tomorrow.
Jassman is offline  
Old 10-26-2015, 06:53 PM
  #589  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 3,958
Default

Originally Posted by MakoMyDay View Post
I'm both "Doubting Thomas" and pulling for this to happen at the same time. I'm guessing it would need to be cobra cat like to pull off those numbers. Worst case scenario is I get a boat ride and have to buy a case or two of beer. Pretty normal weekend as it is anyhow.
No Cobra Cat here..and you can see the size of the 39 Compmillennia by the pics. Lets just get all 3 cats side by side at the boat show and have a few beers together
Jassman is offline  
Old 10-27-2015, 11:33 AM
  #590  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 898
Default

I will cover a case for you mako, if you get hard up and jassman will take me for a ride.
Coquille is offline  
Old 10-30-2015, 06:09 AM
  #591  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 3,958
Default

Originally Posted by Coquille View Post
I will cover a case for you mako, if you get hard up and jassman will take me for a ride.
Not a problem..the more the better.
Jassman is offline  
Old 11-06-2015, 09:44 AM
  #592  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cut Off, LA
Posts: 381
Default

Ran the 27 yesterday still without the right props. 150 gallons fuel, 200 lbs of shit, and just me onboard.
10gph - 32.5-33 mph
12gph - 36.5 mph
periok11 is offline  
Old 11-11-2015, 08:06 AM
  #593  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,460
Default

Originally Posted by periok11 View Post
Ran the 27 yesterday still without the right props. 150 gallons fuel, 200 lbs of shit, and just me onboard.
10gph - 32.5-33 mph
12gph - 36.5 mph
3mpg

Wow, if it were in the cards right now, I'd put in an order for a hull just like yours.
midcap is offline  
Old 11-11-2015, 08:31 AM
  #594  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 3,958
Default

Those are great numbers 90% full of fuel..with a top, that could be possibly propped better... Good Numbers Max. BTW. The pics you sent on the trailer looked real good..thanks.
Jassman is offline  
Old 11-11-2015, 09:46 AM
  #595  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 2,037
Default

Max, I have a pair of 19" counter rotating Mercury Enertia ECO props shipping to you from Mercury to try. As you know, we could not prop the boat before full load and the T-Top were installed. We find that a few hundred hours loosens the engines up and can mean an inch of pitch.

Be sure to get the speed and fuel burn numbers at various RPM's from the set up you have now before swapping propellers.

What was remarkable to me was how efficient the boat seems even at moderate RPM.
Otseg is offline  
Old 11-11-2015, 02:37 PM
  #596  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cut Off, LA
Posts: 381
Default

Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
Those are great numbers 90% full of fuel..with a top, that could be possibly propped better... Good Numbers Max. BTW. The pics you sent on the trailer looked real good..thanks.
Post the boadside picture on here.
periok11 is offline  
Old 11-11-2015, 02:39 PM
  #597  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cut Off, LA
Posts: 381
Default

Originally Posted by Otseg View Post
Max, I have a pair of 19" counter rotating Mercury Enertia ECO props shipping to you from Mercury to try. As you know, we could not prop the boat before full load and the T-Top were installed. We find that a few hundred hours loosens the engines up and can mean an inch of pitch.

Be sure to get the speed and fuel burn numbers at various RPM's from the set up you have now before swapping propellers.

What was remarkable to me was how efficient the boat seems even at moderate RPM.
Sounds good jim I can't wait to get em on and run it to see if these are the ones that'll have these merc's dialed in.
periok11 is offline  
Old 11-11-2015, 03:37 PM
  #598  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 3,958
Default

pic 1
Attached Images  
Jassman is offline  
Old 11-11-2015, 03:46 PM
  #599  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 3,958
Default

pic 2
Attached Images  
Jassman is offline  
Old 11-11-2015, 04:36 PM
  #600  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,313
Default

Dang, I cant wait for updates on the 39 but even the 27 has me drooling. Nice lines and even more impressive numbers!

Last edited by Fordy; 11-12-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Fordy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread