Notices

Advice on exporting to Australia

Old 01-15-2011, 01:50 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,009
Default

Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
For those of us that might have a wild hair and want to advertise our boats to the Australian market...which websites are the most popular in Oz?
Try;

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/

This is probably the most common one.
rat_catcher is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 AM
  #22  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: annapolis md, pamlico river nc
Posts: 1,022
Default

Originally Posted by Bluewater_Aussie View Post
Hello THT,

This is my first post and I am looking for some advice so any help would be most appreciated.

I plan on exporting a boat from the USA to Australia. From my searches so far there are so many makes and models that I am just as confused as when I started this journey. You Americans definitley know how to build such awesome fishing machines and there are too many to choose from. What I am looking for is advice from you guys as no one knows your boats better.

I'm looking for a 18 - 21 footer centre console, single outboard (preferrably Etec or optimax). The boat and motor must be atleast 2001 model. My budget purchase price is $30,000. What makes should I look at? The boat must be very capable and handle a 3-5 foot chop whilst still staying dry. I do a lot of drift fishing so stability is important.

Lastly, any recommendations for reliable boat exporters would be appreciated.

Thanks
I just looked at the boatpoint web site and now understand why there is great interest in exporting boats. A pretty sorry inventory of shockingly expensive watercraft!

Suggest you look for a bigger boat--23' is way better in rough conditions than 21'. And there seems to be a good assortment of even bigger boats on the market at very attractive prices. Great value to be had at only slightly higher prices.

Check the trading dock here at THT.
us42449 is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 PM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 31
Default

Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
For those of us that might have a wild hair and want to advertise our boats to the Australian market...which websites are the most popular in Oz?

Any Australian members that have links they'd like to provide, feel free to post them here or send to me at rspickering@gulftel.com

I have my current boat for sale for $26K, and a comparable boat in AU is $70K...so there's a lot of room...even with $12K shipping costs added to the price.


Hi mate
boatsonline.com.au and boatpoint.com.au are the main two - and they ar epretty cheap to advertise on
cheers
Clint
Cereza is offline  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:03 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,009
Default

Originally Posted by us42449 View Post
I just looked at the boatpoint web site and now understand why there is great interest in exporting boats. A pretty sorry inventory of shockingly expensive watercraft!
Exactly! I have lived in both the US and Australia and the marine industries are worlds apart.
rat_catcher is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
  #25  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 18
Default

Bluewater,

I am also a fellow auzzie and have experience in importing boats to Aus.

Although some of what Cereza has to says may or could be true.
Most of the problems mentioned are easily avoidable. Frankly, it sounds a lot like what a Auzzie boat dealer would say about importing boats, when trying to sell you a 42k aluminum 19ft bowrider. I have a great customs broker his fee with port fees is less a 1k, just one example.

Also, there is a big difference if you are importing a boat to keep and used yourself for a number of years or if you plan on selling the boat in an attempt to turn a profit. Things like resale value of a trailer may not be of big concern.

Ask lots of question, make lots of phone calls, get surveys with lots of pics, ask for references (auzzie based) from dealers and most importantly the shippers.

Good luck
rob_cruz2000 is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 PM
  #26  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney , Australia
Posts: 14
Default

Bluewater,

I am a fellow aussie as well and currently smack bang in the middle of importing my boat. I am using Portsea marine http://www.portseamarine.com
They come highly regarded and have a good reputation. So far the process has been smooth. Submittted the trailer importation permit yesterday and the boat will be picked up in the next few weeks, cleaned, shrunk wrapped and on the boat. I picked roll on, roll off shipping instead of the shipping container method due to what Cereza has said about damage occured from loading /unloading boat out of container. Although more exspensive a safer option in my books.

Looking forward to my new rig, a Pioneer Cape Island 186 and 150hp yammie 4 stroke

Cheers

Aaron

Last edited by happy1gilmour; 02-08-2011 at 11:50 PM.
happy1gilmour is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 PM
  #27  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kuantan, Malaysia
Posts: 41
Default

Hi Blue water, I recently exported a boat to Malaysia that I purchased from a THT member. It was a totally unsighted, online purchase. I faced/had 2 trust issues. Firstly the seller and secondly the shipper. I had to prepay. True, there were several companies that did both and charged for the convenience but nothing quite like hunting down the boat that you really want. I was looking for a classic (Whaler, Mako, Grady etc)with reasonable engines and as large as I could fit into a 40' container for reasonable shipping. I was fascinated with Dr Ring's /"Ringleader" extensive Mako 261B rebuild, that together with a chance meeting with "Chrisrack" himself an experienced boat builder who rebuilt a 35' Duffy from hull up, and I finally ended up with a similar Mako 26'. I got Watercraftmix based in Hialeah to do my shipping. In retrospect, they were ok but could improve on their communication skills and there were 2 occasions I was sh*tting bricks because of them. I took possession 3 months after purchase/payment. Now I can't imagine myself doing this any other way. All the best!
stan2538 is offline  
Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: some where on the east coast of oz
Posts: 808
Default

When doing a funds transfer avoid the banks. check out http://www.ozforex.com.au/cgi-bin/in...spot-rates.asp
Monsoon is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:44 PM
  #29  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 18
Default

Look in to Marine Point out of Charlotte NC for your shipping, very good references in Australia.

Ask for Mark Dennis, (ask him about his pulled pork smoked BBQ)

http://www.marine-point.us/
rob_cruz2000 is offline  
Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 AM
  #30  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Berea, Ky., Cross, SC USA
Posts: 810
Default

So what did you ever end up getting?

I know the folks at Marine Point in Charlotte and also Cargo Group out of Savanah and both facilities have handled shipping my two boats over to OZ. Would recomend either one.

PM me if you want any more info.
In Agreement is offline  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM
  #31  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 43
Default

I just had a 235 Boston Whaler Conquest imported into Qld by Portsea Marine on one of there peterson traliers, Justin Harris the main man did a great job. They helped sourse the boat, inspected and imported the boat for me with out any dramas. Great tralier and no problems with Qld rego. I would use these people again without any worries.
Rhodesey is offline  
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
  #32  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location:
Posts: 11
Default

I've brought in 2 Southports from US to AU - a 26 and a 28.

Cereza makes good points.

Roll on Roll off is very expensive compared to a container (25,000 vs 5,000). The limitation on container is boat width. Get a decent cradle made and you should be ok.

Maybe a flat pack container is an option.

GST applies to purchase price plus freight plus brokerage.

You need transit insurance right to your door not to the port.

I would buy a local Oz trailer. They often impound your boat while you wait trailer registration.

Bear in mind you get no warranty on boat nor electronics nor engines when you bring it in. Local engine dealers will service them (incl pre-delivery service), but forget any kind of warranty.

Also there is supposed to be some minor difference in engine parameters on the ECU between US and AU motors - but that is highly likely to be b/s.

Get a survey - even on a brand new ex-factory boat. No manufacturing is perfect and it great comfort to get niggles solved before it lands.

Deal with a reputable shipper from US. You wouldn't be the first person to receive a container of scrap metal at the same weight as your intended toy. Once your money is wired, it's gone.

Once you get over a certain size, I believe local dealers make more sense. My latest boat is a new 43 and there is no way I could support this without a dealer.

Cheers
Nigel
liberty is offline  
Old 02-01-2012, 12:29 PM
  #33  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 13
Default Boat Shipping USA

Dear Sir, I would recomend to use www.boatshippingusa.com they can ship ro-ro and inside containers any boat with beam 8.6' to save a tonns money on shipping compared to ro-ro, all included US to Australia around $6,000

Originally Posted by Bluewater_Aussie View Post
Hello THT,

This is my first post and I am looking for some advice so any help would be most appreciated.

I plan on exporting a boat from the USA to Australia. From my searches so far there are so many makes and models that I am just as confused as when I started this journey. You Americans definitley know how to build such awesome fishing machines and there are too many to choose from. What I am looking for is advice from you guys as no one knows your boats better.

I'm looking for a 18 - 21 footer centre console, single outboard (preferrably Etec or optimax). The boat and motor must be atleast 2001 model. My budget purchase price is $30,000. What makes should I look at? The boat must be very capable and handle a 3-5 foot chop whilst still staying dry. I do a lot of drift fishing so stability is important.

Lastly, any recommendations for reliable boat exporters would be appreciated.

Thanks
Igors is offline  
Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
  #34  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 26
Default

try
www.boatpoint.com.au

sold my boat in 6 weeks there.
team_mongo is offline  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:18 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,979
Default I've been thinking about this thread.

And I've partipated.
You have recieved some very good input.
I know all the people that have been reccomended to you and each one is an excellant choice.
What I think though, with a screen name including Bluewater, then, you should own a Bluewater.
Sound logical?
mike carrigan is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 AM
  #36  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by rob_cruz2000 View Post
Look in to Marine Point out of Charlotte NC for your shipping, very good references in Australia.

Ask for Mark Dennis, (ask him about his pulled pork smoked BBQ)

http://www.marine-point.us/
Be very careful dealing with those guys...

Mark H Dennis is no longer with MP but is still shipping boats. He can be found at;

ASF Logistics
17 Park of Commerce Blvd.
Suite 103 Savannah, GA 31405

ADVICE TO AUSSIES. Don't freight with anyone you have to pay up front...you can pay the freight line direct or on arrival etc. Be careful who you trust. I learnt that the hard way when my boat wouldn't be released by the freightline on arrival as the shipping company hadn't paid the freight even though I had paid them. If the firm seems to eager to see your money...move on.

Hardest thing about finding a boat is beating the local importers to them....nothing worse than seeing a boat you are bidding on turn up on locals websites for sale. Some think they are the only ones who are entitled to purchase and import.

these guys are cool and their supply chain is rock solid...if you aren't up to doing it all yourself, give them a go. Good dudes. Always ready to help.

http://boatsource.com.au/

other local importers I found to be arrogant SOBs that couldn't be bothered giving time. One even replied to me "I haven't got time to be looking for boats and have nothing for sale" and hung up when I approached him to get me a boat.He later grizzled that I should of bought through him and would of avoided the dramas I had. Yeah right...after you basically told me to p$%^ off?
HOWQUICK is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 AM
  #37  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by liberty View Post
I've brought in 2 Southports from US to AU - a 26 and a 28.

Cereza makes good points.

Roll on Roll off is very expensive compared to a container (25,000 vs 5,000). The limitation on container is boat width. Get a decent cradle made and you should be ok.

Maybe a flat pack container is an option.

GST applies to purchase price plus freight plus brokerage.

You need transit insurance right to your door not to the port.

I would buy a local Oz trailer. They often impound your boat while you wait trailer registration.

Bear in mind you get no warranty on boat nor electronics nor engines when you bring it in. Local engine dealers will service them (incl pre-delivery service), but forget any kind of warranty.

Also there is supposed to be some minor difference in engine parameters on the ECU between US and AU motors - but that is highly likely to be b/s.

Get a survey - even on a brand new ex-factory boat. No manufacturing is perfect and it great comfort to get niggles solved before it lands.

Deal with a reputable shipper from US. You wouldn't be the first person to receive a container of scrap metal at the same weight as your intended toy. Once your money is wired, it's gone.

Once you get over a certain size, I believe local dealers make more sense. My latest boat is a new 43 and there is no way I could support this without a dealer.

Cheers
Nigel
no issues with trailers...just get the right width and give DOTARS plenty of time (ie get your paperwork in real early whist you are waiting to ship) and they roll straight off the wharf.
HOWQUICK is offline  
Old 03-01-2012, 06:16 PM
  #38  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by HOWQUICK View Post
these guys are cool and their supply chain is rock solid...if you aren't up to doing it all yourself, give them a go. Good dudes. Always ready to help.

http://boatsource.com.au/

other local importers I found to be arrogant SOBs that couldn't be bothered giving time. One even replied to me "I haven't got time to be looking for boats and have nothing for sale" and hung up when I approached him to get me a boat.He later grizzled that I should of bought through him and would of avoided the dramas I had. Yeah right...after you basically told me to p$%^ off?
howquick - I just emailed these "boatsource guys and received an email from tim.

I believe this Boatsource must be part of your "most arrogant SOB's around" crowd - Asked for a quote on importing a 19' ski boat -

my highest quote so far from portsea marine is $6800 including everything.
Dealing with several agents at present and contacted them after reading your post.

Boatsource Tim said, and i quote from the email

"Thanks for your enquiry regarding the below boat.

Generally, we advise people looking in the range below $20,000 buy price that it will end up being cheaper to buy a boat locally.
This is due to the additional costs such as domestic freight, international freight, survey, AU spec trailer, trailer registration and modifications, loading and unloading fees, AQIS and GST.

Indicatively, a boat bought for $13,999 would cost between $35-40k to land in Australia.
Comparatively it becomes a lot cheaper the bigger and more expensive the boat.

If you are still interested in this boat, please let me know and I can do up an all up, landed estimate and send it through to you.

Thanks

Tim"

I dont know how a 20' ski boat could possibly cost $35000 to import, also a new aus compliant trailer for a 20' boat is only 4500-5500USD max, If you don't wish to deal with smaller guys just say so, Don't spin some BS about a 20' boat costing $35000 to import. That is some large mark up.

Last edited by Redcan; 03-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Redcan is offline  
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 PM
  #39  
Captains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Where the fish are
Posts: 2,172
Default

Originally Posted by Redcan View Post
howquick - I just emailed these "boatsource guys and received an email from tim.

I believe this Boatsource must be part of your "most arrogant SOB's around" crowd - Asked for a quote on importing a 19' ski boat -

my highest quote so far from portsea marine is $6800 including everything.
Dealing with several agents at present and contacted them after reading your post.

Boatsource Tim said, and i quote from the email

"Thanks for your enquiry regarding the below boat.

Generally, we advise people looking in the range below $20,000 buy price that it will end up being cheaper to buy a boat locally.
This is due to the additional costs such as domestic freight, international freight, survey, AU spec trailer, trailer registration and modifications, loading and unloading fees, AQIS and GST.

Indicatively, a boat bought for $13,999 would cost between $35-40k to land in Australia.
Comparatively it becomes a lot cheaper the bigger and more expensive the boat.

If you are still interested in this boat, please let me know and I can do up an all up, landed estimate and send it through to you.

Thanks

Tim"

I dont know how a 20' ski boat could possibly cost $35000 to import, also a new aus compliant trailer for a 20' boat is only 4500-5500USD max, If you don't to deal with smaller guys just say so, Don't spin some BS about a 20' boat costing $35000 to import. That is some large mark up.
That is way off base. I ship about a hundred boat a year to OZ.. That boat can go either in a shared container or Ro Ro..Shared as little as $6500us... Ro Ro under 10K us. These are numbers that include everything.

Not sure where Boat Source is getting their numbers.

I suggest contacting Mark Dennis at ASF Logistics. He will spell out every detail for you. Also he is not a freight forwarder, he is the freight company. Best to deal direct

Mark H. Dennis
mdennis@asflogistics.com
704 302 6586
anglersedgemarine is offline  
Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 PM
  #40  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edgewater/New Smyrna Beach
Posts: 1,551
Default

I called Mark Dennis at ASF logistics 2 weeks ago for a boat shipment on Bob's recommendation. He responded immediately and even worked a quote on Sunday night and explained everything. That's service.
sac56fire is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread