Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Chris Craft Sea Hawk - now upgrading, restoring and rebuilding

Notices

Chris Craft Sea Hawk - now upgrading, restoring and rebuilding

Old 12-08-2017, 07:33 PM
  #1441  
GSP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Groveland, MA
Posts: 535
Default

Chris - I used epoxy for everything and it worked very well. 4 years and holding up perfectly.

Captsomer - boat is looking great!

Greg
GSP is offline  
Old 12-09-2017, 11:49 AM
  #1442  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by GSP View Post
Chris - I used epoxy for everything and it worked very well. 4 years and holding up perfectly.

Captsomer - boat is looking great!

Greg
Yeah i'm sure epoxy would work great but i'm little concerned to use epoxy because of the health hazards involved in epoxy.
I will do a sea trial of the boat tomorrow when i change to my new waggon. I'm really exited to see how she handles in the water I'm expecting a freezing ride since it's about 39 Fahrenheit here.
Nordic Chris is offline  
Old 12-09-2017, 12:39 PM
  #1443  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 1,141
Default

I miss this thread. Hope all is well. Sold my Sea Hawk two years ago. All of your boats look great.

GSP good to see your still here. Best of luck guys. Awesome boats.
vman24 is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 03:35 AM
  #1444  
GSP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Groveland, MA
Posts: 535
Default

Originally Posted by vman24 View Post
I miss this thread. Hope all is well. Sold my Sea Hawk two years ago. All of your boats look great.

GSP good to see your still here. Best of luck guys. Awesome boats.
Prior to that post it had been a looong time since I visited this thread. Hope you have a Merry Christmas Keith!
GSP is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 03:48 AM
  #1445  
GSP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Groveland, MA
Posts: 535
Default

Originally Posted by Nordic Chris View Post
Yeah i'm sure epoxy would work great but i'm little concerned to use epoxy because of the health hazards involved in epoxy.
I will do a sea trial of the boat tomorrow when i change to my new waggon. I'm really exited to see how she handles in the water I'm expecting a freezing ride since it's about 39 Fahrenheit here.
Chris, I donít blame you for your health concerns *cough cough*. However, epoxy can be used safely with the correct respirator and protective clothing. Plus it bonds quite well to whatever resin they used.
Good luck and post your projects.
Greg
GSP is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 06:30 AM
  #1446  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 1,141
Default

Originally Posted by GSP View Post
Prior to that post it had been a looong time since I visited this thread. Hope you have a Merry Christmas Keith!
Same to you. Best of luck. Good to talk to you.
vman24 is offline  
Old 12-30-2017, 11:14 AM
  #1447  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by GSP View Post
Chris, I donít blame you for your health concerns *cough cough*. However, epoxy can be used safely with the correct respirator and protective clothing. Plus it bonds quite well to whatever resin they used.
Good luck and post your projects.
Greg
I talked to a company that sell resins and fiberglass components here in Sweden and they advice me to use iso-polyester for dcpd repairs (off course epoxy would work to)

Some days ago i discovered that its leaking in to the cuddy thru the windshield framing.
Anybody know whats the brand of the windshield? Taylor maid? I just want to research little about it.
There is a lot of bolts missing in the roof in the cuddy that i think are supposed to go in thru the windshield.

Also you know if there is possible to buy parts for the ventilation windows in the cuddy? One window is cracked in the hinge so its leaking in.

Happy new year!






Bolt not attached to the window framing

Nordic Chris is offline  
Old 12-30-2017, 11:33 AM
  #1448  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Here is some pics from when i tried out the boat just over the day.
Sun,snow and hail that day.
Now the boat is in the garden, coverd in tarp. It was snowing more today.






Ice/snowball i picked up from the deck
Nordic Chris is offline  
Old 01-01-2018, 11:38 AM
  #1449  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 1,141
Default

Nordic Chris
Nice boat. You can check out chrisparts.com for some of the hardware but I would contact Taylor Made and see if they made that windshield. I just watched an episode of Ship Shape TV and it was all about replacement windshields with Taylor Made. Best of luck.
vman24 is offline  
Old 01-01-2018, 11:41 AM
  #1450  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by vman24 View Post
Nordic Chris
Nice boat. You can check out chrisparts.com for some of the hardware but I would contact Taylor Made and see if they made that windshield. I just watched an episode of Ship Shape TV and it was all about replacement windshields with Taylor Made. Best of luck.
Thnx. Yeah i have seen that episode to 😊 Need to send them an email.
Nordic Chris is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 AM
  #1451  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Default 1990 chris craft sea hawk 19ft cc

Hi yíall doin, Iím new to THT, Iíve been searching all around for info on this boat. Itís a 1990 chris craft sea hawk 19ftcc with a 2008 Suzuki 140, current owner says no soft spots or anything of that nature. I have not been able to go look at it yet. But i was just curious on what things to be aware of with these boats and what to look for on them. Thanks!
Dr.Breeding is offline  
Old 03-04-2018, 06:17 AM
  #1452  
GSP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Groveland, MA
Posts: 535
Default

Chris, can that not be re-seated with caulk / adhesive? Is the frame corroded?
Also, that looks like a very pretty area!
Greg
GSP is offline  
Old 03-04-2018, 06:25 AM
  #1453  
GSP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Groveland, MA
Posts: 535
Default

Originally Posted by Dr.Breeding View Post
Hi yíall doin, Iím new to THT, Iíve been searching all around for info on this boat. Itís a 1990 chris craft sea hawk 19ftcc with a 2008 Suzuki 140, current owner says no soft spots or anything of that nature. I have not been able to go look at it yet. But i was just curious on what things to be aware of with these boats and what to look for on them. Thanks!
I am not aware any major flaws with the 19'.
Of course it's a 30 year old boat so you'll want to look closely at any areas with structural wood...transom, deck, stringers.
Good luck!
Greg
GSP is offline  
Old 03-04-2018, 10:21 AM
  #1454  
Senior Member
 
Stand By's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,757
Default

I just worked on remounting the windshield frame on my 251 last summer. The original bolts were specially made with a shallow, square, cap so they would not turn inside the channel. I just bought stainless bolts, ground the heads shallow with my 4" grinder using a lapped sanding pad. Instead of wasting time making them all square, I just ground off two sides so they would fit into the channel. With the elongated caps, they grab the channel sooner when tightening the nuts and don't bite or cut into the aluminum which can cause them to spin if overtightened. I also added a few extra bolts since my windshield supports a hard top and plan on putting gear up there. I sealed with 4200 under the track. While I had it apart, I tinted the side glass to help keep the sun off my instruments.
Stand By is offline  
Old 06-01-2018, 06:57 AM
  #1455  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by Stand By View Post
I just worked on remounting the windshield frame on my 251 last summer. The original bolts were specially made with a shallow, square, cap so they would not turn inside the channel. I just bought stainless bolts, ground the heads shallow with my 4" grinder using a lapped sanding pad. Instead of wasting time making them all square, I just ground off two sides so they would fit into the channel. With the elongated caps, they grab the channel sooner when tightening the nuts and don't bite or cut into the aluminum which can cause them to spin if overtightened. I also added a few extra bolts since my windshield supports a hard top and plan on putting gear up there. I sealed with 4200 under the track. While I had it apart, I tinted the side glass to help keep the sun off my instruments.
Thnx for the info. I will pull the frame and windows in a while and have a look at it.

Nordic Chris is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 AM
  #1456  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Default

Hi eveyone, this is my first post here even though I've been following this thread for many years now.... I live just out of Stockholm, Sweden in the archipelago and bought my 216 Sea Hawk back in 2011 in a terrible condition, and started the restoration, but work and having kids got the upper hand for some time - until now, if things goes my way, ill be splashing the first of may this year! �� Iīll probably post a bunch of pictures here in the forthcoming.... just short question; does anybody know the font, or have heard of sombody that reproduces the "sea hawk 216" decals mounted below the windshield on each side?

A special Hi to Nordic Chris - a fellow Swede, I Know Karl thru our common interest of Sea Hawks (seeing his boat at his marina back in 2009 is actually what got me hooked on this model) and have seen the effort he put into your sea hawk, great guy! Chris, I searched parts and accessories for many years, and shipping to Sweden can sometimes be a hassle, sŚ don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions ��.

So for now, hope you all have a great time,

Best regards,

//Philip Hedberg
Floskan is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread