Notices
The Boating Forum

Why are boat brokers so sketchy?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,588
Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts
Default

I hate to paint with a broad bunch, but I have never had a good expierence with a used boat broker. I have however, dealt with new boat dealers who I thought were very good.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:51 PM
  #22  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 598
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

In general, I have had very good experiences with boat brokers. However, like everything else, it pays to do your homework to find the right ones.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sea Bright NJ
Posts: 395
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Seems like my post got a bunch of people on the defensive. Notice I did not say that ALL brokers were bad, just that my experiences in the industry have exposed quite a few. I would think that instead of attacking me for making this observation the good brokers would say "Hey, I'm one of the good ones, I'm honest and will treat you fairly!".

Maybe I was a bit harsh, if I was I apologize, but when you hear of someone being taken advantage of and promised things that can not and will not be delivered, you get upset.

For the record, no I'm not 22, and I've worked in sales before. Construction and print advertising. If i've learned anything it's that in the end, shortsighted sales for quick money will always lose against honesty and building a relationship.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,979
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GMILLS88 View Post
Seems like my post got a bunch of people on the defensive. Notice I did not say that ALL brokers were bad, just that my experiences in the industry have exposed quite a few. I would think that instead of attacking me for making this observation the good brokers would say "Hey, I'm one of the good ones, I'm honest and will treat you fairly!".

Maybe I was a bit harsh, if I was I apologize, but when you hear of someone being taken advantage of and promised things that can not and will not be delivered, you get upset.

For the record, no I'm not 22, and I've worked in sales before. Construction and print advertising. If i've learned anything it's that in the end, shortsighted sales for quick money will always lose against honesty and building a relationship.
Your fine, not to worry.
Just understand there's a lot of us in the industry that participate on THT that actually take things like customer satisfaction quite serious.
Yep, there are also the other guys, who dont.
Those of us that do, really do.
There is, regretably, some that dont.
But your fine for questioning and asking.
You should.
It's not a problem.
That's what forums are for.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:37 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,979
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jeff42899 View Post
I think it's because we have small hands and wreak of cabbage..... Until we all have 100mph CC's powered by magic, it'll be the nature of the beast. I'm certain I read that on here somewhere....
It's no different than any other industry, a smattering of good / bad, honest and dishonest.....
Hey Jeff!
Just wanted to say hello.
Jimmie and Lanie driving you crazy yet?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:47 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mims FL
Posts: 759
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Well here's my take on my experience with a broker. I have contacted a certain brokerage firm here in Fla three different times The first boat was advertised as having Yamaha's, but in one of the pictures it shows Evinrudes. I ask about it and he says Boat Trader screwed up the ad and he will send pics. That was three weeks ago and no e-mail, and the ad has not been corrected. The second time I call about a boat that is shown to be in Ft. lauderdale, so I tell him I will be in the area the next day and would like to look at it. He informs me the boat is in the keys, not Ft. lauderdale. Last week I decide to send him an e-mail about the second boat, but no response. I called his cell phone last Thursday, left a message, and again no return call. How the hell can you stay in business that way? I feel sorry for the owners who wonder why there's no action on their boats.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:49 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
freeporttuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 9,901
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Ive delt with brokers 2x.Both were not smooth transactions.One a sale,the other a buy.On the sale the broker wanted the keys and title before I recieved a check from the bank.He was very insitant about it too.The other was a recent buy that the price had changed at closing.Another party was also interested in the boat I found out later,I walked out of the closing and got the boat for less a month later.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:52 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 4,621
Received 1,959 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Default

There are a lot of crappy boats out there for sale. Someone has to sell them
Old 04-06-2010, 06:59 PM
  #29  
Bly
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: south jersey
Posts: 6,663
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default They want 10% of your sale price and want you nto give your boat a way$

They want you to have to pay 10% more then the owners botom line$ They want you to make the boat as detailed and purty as you can so that they can sell your boat$ They want you to use the surveyor of their choice because? who knows if there is financial gain for them$ They want a lot dont they?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:01 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,979
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by freeporttuna View Post
Ive delt with brokers 2x.Both were not smooth transactions.One a sale,the other a buy.On the sale the broker wanted the keys and title before I recieved a check from the bank.He was very insitant about it too.The other was a recent buy that the price had changed at closing.Another party was also interested in the boat I found out later,I walked out of the closing and got the boat for less a month later.
Both you and the post that preceeded yours are regretable.
I will repeat though, there's good and bad in any industry.
The boat business attracts many.
To some it's a hobby, to others, a profession.
To some there is a real misunderstanding of what the job really doe's entail.
Now, that's "Broker" or "Salesperson".
I deal with both.
There are those that are truly outstanding.
And there are those that are otherwise.
Again though, not limited to our industry.
As I watch and participate on THT and some others, it's not difficult to recognize the differance between the two.
But, I'm in the industry and can.
Sadly, there's not a nametag that's worn that distinguishes the good from the bad.
Often too though, there is the consumer who hears only what they want to hear, and believe.
It's sometimes a double edged sword.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:04 PM
  #31  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,302
Received 424 Likes on 186 Posts
Default

I have bought 2 boats using brokers. My first boat I bought from the listing agent, and he was a pretty good guy and the experience was ok. Moving up to my second boat I spoke to all kinds of idiot brokers, but when I encountered a good broker I liked, I employed him as a buyers agent and he was well worth his fee. A real professional who will list my boat if I ever decide to sell. So, yes, I'd say 80% are slimy, but that makes the good ones really stand out.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lower Potomac, VA
Posts: 3,661
Received 489 Likes on 330 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
Applies to ALL people solely paid by making a sale.
I spent 15 years of my life as a commission only salesman and I never could have done it if my customers didn't put their trust in me. I worked hard to earn that trust.
My wife has been a commission only salesperson for 26 years and over those years, I've been fortunate to meet many of her customers and I can tell you, they absolutely love her.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:00 PM
  #33  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sea Bright NJ
Posts: 395
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by mike carrigan View Post
Both you and the post that preceeded yours are regretable.
I will repeat though, there's good and bad in any industry.
The boat business attracts many.
To some it's a hobby, to others, a profession.
To some there is a real misunderstanding of what the job really doe's entail.
Now, that's "Broker" or "Salesperson".
I deal with both.
There are those that are truly outstanding.
And there are those that are otherwise.
Again though, not limited to our industry.
As I watch and participate on THT and some others, it's not difficult to recognize the differance between the two.
But, I'm in the industry and can.
Sadly, there's not a nametag that's worn that distinguishes the good from the bad.
Often too though, there is the consumer who hears only what they want to hear, and believe.
It's sometimes a double edged sword.

Mike, You are clearly one of the good ones, and your posts on here have greatly influenced my opinion about Pro-Line in a positive way. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Palm Beach County Florida
Posts: 402
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Bly View Post
They want you to have to pay 10% more then the owners botom line$ They want you to make the boat as detailed and purty as you can so that they can sell your boat$ They want you to use the surveyor of their choice because? who knows if there is financial gain for them$ They want a lot dont they?

The more time I spend on here the less you seem to know. I could go into all of the reasons you are incorrect on your assumptions if you would like me to...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 PM
  #35  
GCC
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 5,730
Received 170 Likes on 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Judd View Post
Great contribution to this site GMILLS. I'm not sure what career your path has led you to, but just how long do you consider "a while" regarding your time in the marine industry. I've personally got 18 years invested in it myself and I've remained committed to it through it's ups and downs, so pardon me when I take a little offense to your childish generalization of those of us in this industry. I'm a 38 year old person who's enjoyed being the General Manager/Broker of our dealership when it's profitable, and have damn near melted down a few times when our industry suffers like it's doing right now. In any field, you're going to find that people work on a variety of levels with regards to business practice and ethics. You'll find that some are not so ethical, and that there are plenty of us out there that will treat you like family. It gets pretty old being the "bad guy" all the time, so instead of blindly throwing unjustified jabs at those of us in this industry, how about producing a thread that may be of value to the world?

And, by any chance, would I be assuming correctly that you're 22 years old based on the "88" in your screen name? Yea...I knew everything at that age too.


Yes this is STILL an open forum, and YES that DOES mean that ANYONE can ask ANY question they would like, and thats ALL he did. If you dont like the idea of an open forum, youre welcome to log off Oh and who are you to classify his jabs (as u put it) as "unjustified"? ;?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Del Mar, CA
Posts: 132
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I own an equipment distributorship, and we don't sell anything to our customers, instead they choose to buy from us. Big, big difference...

In my 30+ years of boating experience; the boat sales gig appears somewhat like car sales and real estate sales. The barrier to entry is minimal. You don't have to accomplish much in the way of real qualifications to call yourself a boat broker. You certainly don't have to have an extensive knowledge of boats. Get some business cards printed, pay a couple bucks to get a state "license", and presto; you're magically a yacht broker. About as challenging as becoming a mattress salesman. Of course, every "yacht broker" is convinced they are the exception: the good one ,who is actually a "professional". Naturally, they all think that. Certainly they aren't going to admit they are the typical sun baked, alcoholic dock rat. Those are the other guys... And finally, yes, every boat salesman here on THT is a true professional, honest, above reproach, and concerned only with his clients best interests. Of course...
Old 04-07-2010, 04:24 AM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,979
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dieselpusher View Post
I own an equipment distributorship, and we don't sell anything to our customers, instead they choose to buy from us. Big, big difference...

In my 30+ years of boating experience; the boat sales gig appears somewhat like car sales and real estate sales. The barrier to entry is minimal. You don't have to accomplish much in the way of real qualifications to call yourself a boat broker. You certainly don't have to have an extensive knowledge of boats. Get some business cards printed, pay a couple bucks to get a state "license", and presto; you're magically a yacht broker. About as challenging as becoming a mattress salesman. Of course, every "yacht broker" is convinced they are the exception: the good one ,who is actually a "professional". Naturally, they all think that. Certainly they aren't going to admit they are the typical sun baked, alcoholic dock rat. Those are the other guys... And finally, yes, every boat salesman here on THT is a true professional, honest, above reproach, and concerned only with his clients best interests. Of course...
I'm not going to disagree with you as to some salespeople and brokers being a little less than perhaps one might want them to be. As I've stated, true in all industries. Certainly not exclusive to ours.
One point I would like to comment on is the "Every boatsalesman here on THT...................." portion.
Interestingly enough, salesperson, wrenchspinner, and stickyfoot, that participate on THT I think are quite credable. Alot of disagreement on issues from time to time, but pretty straightforward group.
Some extremely sharp people that would not last long in front of their peers if they were the other guys.
All do not identify themselves by actual name, but enough info as to who they are that it's not hard to know who they are.
When someone is posting regularily and for a long time, it would be quite easy to identify a person who comes on and is full of BS.
I've seen some less than credable people post that are in the trade. Usually they dont last long.
When somene posts using their name, or the name of their business, employment, etc. they open themselves up to scutiney in public. That's pretty gutsy, maybe not all that smart to do, but in doing so the guys I see have little fear of standing up and talking and one way or the other, identifying themselves.
So, I'm not in disagreement entirely with your post but dont see such on THT that post and stay for any amount of time.
They're too transparent.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 AM
  #38  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Jupiter FL
Posts: 211
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No different than other business

It is too bad, but the boat business is really not much different from others, some good some bad. Perhaps the key difference is that most of us do not buy a boat every year or two.

If you think this industry is bad, try dealing with contractors in Florida. Again, some good some bad, but the bad ones outnumber the good ones by a lot.

It is too bad that so many people do not really seem to care what kind of a job they do!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:29 AM
  #39  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 12,756
Received 1,911 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Default

I wanted to sell my boat a couple of years ago, as I had a 3 year old at home and my wife got deployed to Iraq for a year. I didn't have the time or inclination to move it myself, so I asked a friend of mine who had sold his boat which broker he went through, a guy up in Newburyport. While talking to the broker he wanted to know everything that was wrong with the boat and anything that I knew of that might go wrong with it. When the boat sold, I felt good about it, the broker felt good about it, and the guy that bought it felt good about it. That is how it's supposed to work.

The following year someone was looking to sell their boat, knew that I had sold mine, and asked who I had used, so I gave him the name. Then my brother wanted to sell his boat, and used the same guy.

Good lawyers never have to advertise - they get plenty of work through word of mouth. The good brokers get a lot of their business through word of mouth as well.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:32 AM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The wilds of Michigan
Posts: 753
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Afish,
That guy you dealt with is typical bipolar... They definitely march to a different drummer and the beat changes by the hour..
I have one who came to me with a sob story how she'd been mistreated by my competitor, so I took her on as a customer.. Bent over backwards to help her... She then goes back to my competitor and tells him how callous I am and all I did was take her money... Later she comes back to me.. Problem for her is the other guy took notes and as a professional courtesy sent a copy to me of what she had said about me... I confronted her, she denied everything up and down, so I showed her the notes of what she had told him... At this point she starts screaming that he is a liar and out "to get her"...
"Get you for what?", I asked. "The man gave you the bargain of the century, fer pete's sake." She didn't have an answer so then she bursts into tears... At this point I am no longer buying what she is selling... I inform her that from now on it is strictly time and materials, period! And, every change order has to have a witness to add his signature to hers... She walks (thanks lord)...

denny-o

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.