Notices

SeaCast----durability report

Old 02-24-2009, 10:59 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hilo,Hawaii
Posts: 253
Default SeaCast----durability report

I rebuilt the transom on my 1973 SeaCraft 20 CC in May 2005 using SeaCast pourable composite.
I didn't want to use any wood in the transom so I used the SeaCast system DESPITE of all the doom sayers I found all over the internet.
I removed the outer transom skin,dug out all the rotten wood,patched all holes,and laid down 2 layers,1 mat and 1 roving.
Laid up a new outer transom skin,5/16 thick,solid glass,and laminated it on leaving a 2 1/2 space to pour in the SeaCast composite.
Poured the transom solid,did finish work and installed an Optimax 200 DTS motor on the transom
Now have almost 400 hours,a LOT of those hours running hard in rough sea conditions,many hard landings.

The results?????


No cracks anywere,engine bolts still tight,no "dishing "under the bolt washers,pulled off a small bracket,no weeping of water,composite still dry.


oceanwarrior



Good product,don't knock it until you've tried it
oceanwarrior is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Key West, FL
Posts: 38
Default

Is it still holding up? I am seriously considering this product. I already cut off the outer skin and scraped out all the old wood. I plan on hanging a 550 ld Yamaha but quite frankly I am terrified of losing my engine to the sea floor. Any thoughts, tips or words of encouragement?
cruzanron is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 8,468
Default

The original post to this thread was made in Feb,2009. So that means that he had the boat in use for just about 4 years before he made this update post. I doubt anything went wrong in the last 5 months to change that.

There are several products like Seacast. What I've found to be true is that the overall performance of the structure has more to do with the skins than the core. The core is there to keep the skins separate and aligned. These pourable products do that well.

You could use a high density foam or plywood to perform the same function and in certain circumstances they are preferable. If weight is an issue you may want to look at foam core. If expense is an issue you may want to look at plywood. If ease of installation is what you need, then the pourables are worth looking into. They will all perform the job well if installed correctly.
OReely is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 08:13 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,092
Default

Ocean warrior how is that sea cast transom holding up?
alligatorgar is online now  
Old 07-18-2015, 08:36 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 55
Default

I went with a nidabond pour in for my transom. I also dealt with a lot of naysayers, but I have 2 years on it and it's still as solid as a rock. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Nathan R is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:00 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hilo,Hawaii
Posts: 253
Default

Originally Posted by alligatorgar View Post
Ocean warrior how is that sea cast transom holding up?
Now going on 10 years, still in great shape, no stress cracks, delamination, dishing, or any other faults.
Very happy with the product, also would like to report that I bought an early DTS Optimax engine, The Fly-by-wire Mercury DTS system has been flawless, highly recommend it!
Went out and caught a nice 200+lb Yelowfin before the 4th of July.

oceanwarrior
Attached Images  
oceanwarrior is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:07 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,092
Default

wow!,
That fish is a monster, congratulation
10 yrs of off shore fishing and still going strong. Pourable transom material is some impressive stuff.
alligatorgar is online now  
Old 07-19-2015, 03:34 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Posts: 1,673
Default

Howzit Nash?
Lots of/choke sushi there!

See your 20sf SeaCraft is still catching; I'm rebuilding an 18sf.
Hope to bring it to the Big Island.

Dave.
daveschw is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 11:58 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hilo,Hawaii
Posts: 253
Default

Originally Posted by daveschw View Post
Howzit Nash?
Lots of/choke sushi there!

See your 20sf SeaCraft is still catching; I'm rebuilding an 18sf.
Hope to bring it to the Big Island.

Dave.
Hi Dave!
We had one hell of a Sushi party with friends and neighbors invited!
All you could eat for free, plus Sashimi, Tataki, and fried Ahi.
One of the joys of owning a boat......Sharing the bounty of the Sea with everybody.

Hope to see you here one day.
oceanwarrior is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 11:00 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6
Default

Hey thanks for sharing this. I am doing a lot of research on different things and ways of fixing our boat. i have looked into seacast and was not sure it looked like a lot of work, but the more i looked into it i seen how easy it can be. i went to there website, Facebook, and i seen how others did it on u tube. i see they take time with each of the customers. it is posed all over how they do one on one with each person. Thats awesome if it works like it should i dont have to ever redo the transom, and stringers again. Been looking for about 6 months i came up with seacast or another like it. then i seen on there Facebook page about a drop test. n i seen that it didnt brake wow. has anyone else use seacast here?
Flboating12 is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 12:28 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 685
Default

I too did pourable transom and have used for 4 years without issue. I used Nida-Bond and have been told the same product is now Arjay; apparently 3M sold.

My project...

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...nsom-pour.html
Accountability is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 07:17 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,092
Default

Originally Posted by Accountability View Post
I too did pourable transom and have used for 4 years without issue. I used Nida-Bond and have been told the same product is now Arjay; apparently 3M sold.

My project...

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...nsom-pour.html
Nice project accountability.
alligatorgar is online now  
Old 07-20-2015, 07:18 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,092
Default

Originally Posted by oceanwarrior View Post
Hi Dave!
We had one hell of a Sushi party with friends and neighbors invited!
All you could eat for free, plus Sashimi, Tataki, and fried Ahi.
One of the joys of owning a boat......Sharing the bounty of the Sea with everybody.

Hope to see you here one day.
100 lbs sushi party WOW. now that's a party.
alligatorgar is online now  
Old 08-06-2015, 04:07 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,092
Default

Originally Posted by oceanwarrior View Post
I rebuilt the transom on my 1973 SeaCraft 20 CC in May 2005 using SeaCast pourable composite.
I didn't want to use any wood in the transom so I used the SeaCast system DESPITE of all the doom sayers I found all over the internet.
I removed the outer transom skin,dug out all the rotten wood,patched all holes,and laid down 2 layers,1 mat and 1 roving.
Laid up a new outer transom skin,5/16 thick,solid glass,and laminated it on leaving a 2 1/2 space to pour in the SeaCast composite.
Poured the transom solid,did finish work and installed an Optimax 200 DTS motor on the transom
Now have almost 400 hours,a LOT of those hours running hard in rough sea conditions,many hard landings.

The results?????


No cracks anywere,engine bolts still tight,no "dishing "under the bolt washers,pulled off a small bracket,no weeping of water,composite still dry.


oceanwarrior



Good product,don't knock it until you've tried it
Ocean warrior
My sister lost a mail box similar to the one in the picture by a drunk driver, kid with a base ball bat, old lady driving home from church. Sheered it off clean and kept going. Do you think seacast poured into the cavity of this hollow tube would be strong enough to keep her from having to purchase another mailbox?
Attached Images  
alligatorgar is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread