Notices
Like Tree63Likes

spray guns for gelcoat

Old 01-24-2019, 08:23 AM
  #81  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ghana West Africa
Posts: 2,109
Default


3M Accuspray tutorial , interesting.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...1246037&rt=rud
Sharpest likes this.
busanga is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 04:05 PM
  #82  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Back in suzhou in China again
Posts: 3,578
Default

A good well set up PRESSURE pot does it all !NEVER had any reason to change ! can spray anything any where any time !!
And I never use a respirator either !
tunnles is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 10:11 AM
  #83  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,838
Default

anyone reading please dont be stupid.
wear your respirator and suit or at least full protective clothing including a spray sock over your head, even if its an N95 paper mask
81Malibu, Sharpest and HarvestTime like this.
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 10:33 AM
  #84  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 862
Default

I'm still going to mess around with the harbor freight gun for educational purposes but I'm pretty well sold on the Accuspray system. I love 3M
Sharpest is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 07:22 PM
  #85  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Back in suzhou in China again
Posts: 3,578
Default

The system I used for long time works Because when the health inspectors cam and with all the fancy clip on monitoring gear it never picked up anything after 2 hours of using a chopper gun ! The lady even videoed what I was doing and in particular how I was spraying an my method I've used for ever almost !The guys in my teams in different placed all learned and did the same as I do !
Working clean pays and being a dirty worker is just a habit and a way of thinking !! so change for the better and enjoy life !
Do it for long enough just becomes second nature !

Even the recycling of non smelling acetone and it being ODORLESS my wife loved it as a nail vanish remover and mixed a couple of drops of Eucalyptus oil to slow the evaporation and leave her nails shiny and clean .
tunnles is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 07:44 PM
  #86  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Posts: 1,375
Default

Originally Posted by tunnles View Post
The system I used for long time works Because when the health inspectors cam and with all the fancy clip on monitoring gear it never picked up anything after 2 hours of using a chopper gun ! The lady even videoed what I was doing and in particular how I was spraying an my method I've used for ever almost !The guys in my teams in different placed all learned and did the same as I do !
Working clean pays and being a dirty worker is just a habit and a way of thinking !! so change for the better and enjoy life !
Do it for long enough just becomes second nature !

Even the recycling of non smelling acetone and it being ODORLESS my wife loved it as a nail vanish remover and mixed a couple of drops of Eucalyptus oil to slow the evaporation and leave her nails shiny and clean .
Why donít you stop trying to justify your preference of not wearing safety equipment. We get it, you think youíre the best and you can spray without it. Some of us arenít stupid, and actually realize how toxic resins and paints are and would like to convey that to others. You ever hear about becoming sensitized? Itís when all of a sudden even the most minute amount of a vapor can cause you to cough and adversely affect your breathing. It happens from prolonged exposure to chemicals such as those in gelcoat. of course it will never happen to you, but I know someone that it happened to and itís not a good thing to see. Keep digging that hole to tell everyone how good you are and be sure to use a lot of exclamation points when you tell us.
81Malibu is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 12:02 AM
  #87  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Back in suzhou in China again
Posts: 3,578
Default working clean pays always !

Originally Posted by 81Malibu View Post

Why don’t you stop trying to justify your preference of not wearing safety equipment. We get it, you think you’re the best and you can spray without it. Some of us aren’t stupid, and actually realize how toxic resins and paints are and would like to convey that to others. You ever hear about becoming sensitized? It’s when all of a sudden even the most minute amount of a vapor can cause you to cough and adversely affect your breathing. It happens from prolonged exposure to chemicals such as those in gelcoat. of course it will never happen to you, but I know someone that it happened to and it’s not a good thing to see. Keep digging that hole to tell everyone how good you are and be sure to use a lot of exclamation points when you tell us.
Working in a messy environment as I said is mostly habit and once a dirty worker its almost impossible to break THE HABIT !
I found a way of working that I have taught and shown the guys I work with and they are no mess Charles now and it has a roll on effect as the whole work shop area we work is clean tidy and how it should be ! Any one comes to do anything in our work space they get told very quickly to GO very quickly and take there shit with them and don't come back ! And the work clean thing shows in the work we do and quality of workmanship and care and attention to detail !
Oh and the wearing safey gear is only because you work dangerously and you are complacent !
If you think a little more about what you doing you never need safety gear and accidents never happen
In 4 years in one company no one had ever even had a minor cut from any thing !
So hows you safety record ??

Last edited by tunnles; 01-26-2019 at 12:11 AM.
tunnles is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 03:21 AM
  #88  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,838
Default

Air filtration systems in place , there is no other possible way you can spray out in the open shop and not have fumes
i dont care what angle you spray . This may be the most dangerous advice you have ever given you went from crazy stories like flipping hulls inside out to dangerous advice. Please stop.
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 06:02 AM
  #89  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 278
Default

Originally Posted by tunnles View Post

Even the recycling of non smelling acetone and it being ODORLESS my wife loved it as a nail vanish remover and mixed a couple of drops of Eucalyptus oil to slow the evaporation and leave her nails shiny and clean .
Pic of wife??!!??!!!!!
dirtwheelsfl is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 06:52 AM
  #90  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,838
Default

there are fumes from just opening a pail or drum of gelcoat, mixing it and just roll or brushing creates fumes that are especially bad down low, lets say in a bilge or cockpit
you dont even have to spray it and there are fumes


so to say the angle you spray it creates no fumes, no over spray at all is one of the craziest things I have ever heard.
If you had said "we developed an air filtration system so effective there is virtually no fumes" I would believe that

Simply amazing- billions of dollars spent on safety equipment and training, all those warning labels- all unnecessary if we all just adapted to your spray angle
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 08:45 AM
  #91  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Posts: 1,375
Default

Originally Posted by Raybo Marine NY View Post
there are fumes from just opening a pail or drum of gelcoat, mixing it and just roll or brushing creates fumes that are especially bad down low, lets say in a bilge or cockpit
you dont even have to spray it and there are fumes


so to say the angle you spray it creates no fumes, no over spray at all is one of the craziest things I have ever heard.
If you had said "we developed an air filtration system so effective there is virtually no fumes" I would believe that

Simply amazing- billions of dollars spent on safety equipment and training, all those warning labels- all unnecessary if we all just adapted to your spray angle
I hope he is not serious and that no one ever follows his advice.
Raybo Marine NY likes this.
81Malibu is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 02:40 PM
  #92  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Back in suzhou in China again
Posts: 3,578
Default

Hello boys !Seems to be driving people crazy being able to work clean and not be covered in and breathing fumes dust and over spray !
I been doing it for so long now I don't even think about is any more and same with my crew !We all watch out for each other and if it looks like anything is going to cause a problem we all help each other !Strange ?? Its call team work !!
Same working in other parts of the factory always work in Pairs never alone ! Cooperation and no accidents its a really family atmosphere that's been built up over time !The quality and amount of work produced is much better than ever was before because its 100% effort by all and everyone including myself !
As a manager I spend my days working with and along side all and everyone and if I see something that can be improved then we as a team make it happen !
Neat ah !!
tunnles is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 03:02 PM
  #93  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 5,090
Default

If tunnels keeps it up THT may need to put up a sticky to warn unsuspecting folks that following his advice may be harmful to your health and cause symptoms including severe brain tumors, loss of cognitive ability dizziness, nausea and in some cases, death. If you experience any of these symptoms, discontinue whatever you're doing, contact your local emergency services (it's probably too late for your doctor), and fill out your last will and testament.
kln and 2TDave like this.
bills106 is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 03:39 PM
  #94  
kln
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,962
Default

Originally Posted by bills106 View Post
If tunnels keeps it up THT may need to put up a sticky to warn unsuspecting folks that following his advice may be harmful to your health and cause symptoms including severe brain tumors, loss of cognitive ability dizziness, nausea and in some cases, death. If you experience any of these symptoms, discontinue whatever you're doing, contact your local emergency services (it's probably too late for your doctor), and fill out your last will and testament.

Whose really the dumb one here? Plenty of people pay good money for mind altering substances.

Tunnels found a way to get high, and get paid for it!

He lies like a dope sick addict... if it looks like poo. Smells like poo.... it's poo!
kln is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 03:51 PM
  #95  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 5,090
Default

Originally Posted by kln View Post

Whose really the dumb one here? Plenty of people pay good money for mind altering substances.

Tunnels found a way to get high, and get paid for it!

He lies like a dope sick addict... if it looks like poo. Smells like poo.... it's poo!
I may finally have to try this polyester based stuff you guys talk about so much then. Every time I get a whiff of Alexseal, Awlgrip or Imron stuff I get horrible headaches, coughing fits and near blackouts. Nothing like I've heard psychedelic drugs do .
2TDave likes this.
bills106 is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 04:07 PM
  #96  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 8,466
Default

Originally Posted by Raybo Marine NY View Post
Air filtration systems in place , there is no other possible way you can spray out in the open shop and not have fumes
i dont care what angle you spray . This may be the most dangerous advice you have ever given you went from crazy stories like flipping hulls inside out to dangerous advice. Please stop.
It's really not that big a deal. If his lungs get clogged he can just pull them out, shake them, and pop them back in. Easy peasy, lungs chinesey.
Tarbaby, kln, colostomizer and 1 others like this.
OReely is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 04:19 PM
  #97  
kln
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,962
Default

Originally Posted by bills106 View Post
I may finally have to try this polyester based stuff you guys talk about so much then. Every time I get a whiff of Alexseal, Awlgrip or Imron stuff I get horrible headaches, coughing fits and near blackouts. Nothing like I've heard psychedelic drugs do .
Oh jeez old timer...polyester and styrene got nothing on the designer stuff. Elium will really tickle the old sniffer
2TDave likes this.
kln is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 04:29 PM
  #98  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 747
Default

Originally Posted by bills106 View Post
I may finally have to try this polyester based stuff you guys talk about so much then. Every time I get a whiff of Alexseal, Awlgrip or Imron stuff I get horrible headaches, coughing fits and near blackouts. Nothing like I've heard psychedelic drugs do .
I leave it to Tunnels Leary to keep searching for the perfect polyester trip. While I donít mind the smell my body and brain isnít up to reliving my twenties and none of what I do remember includes those poly headaches. Wear your respirators kiddos! Tunnels is talking out of a chemical induced psychosis.
2TDave is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 04:34 PM
  #99  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 5,090
Default

Originally Posted by kln View Post
Oh jeez old timer...polyester and styrene got nothing on the designer stuff. Elium will really tickle the old sniffer
Careful there grasshopper, as you well know I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Back then nearby UNC and NC State where I went (i think) had very extensive chemistry programs!

Come to think about it, maybe that's why I've built up an immunity to certain chemicals. In the immortal words of James Buffett; "Where are those flashbacks they all warned us would come?"
kln likes this.
bills106 is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 05:29 PM
  #100  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 901
Default

Originally Posted by tunnles View Post



FOUND !!Bottom photo is a big professional gel coat system with a inline heater !The heater is absolutely essential for 6 months of the year use when it cooler of cold is very very reliable and sprays a beautiful consistent wide spray, for awkward and hard to get to areas 5 seconds and a fine spray nozzle takes care of the in short time
Ok the pressure pots small and big I set the up identical and hoses and gun and pressure gauges are all instantly interchangeable from one pot to the other so plug in and go !
The plastic bottle will drop onside the small pot to hold the gelcoat so just the pipe to clean NOT THE POT ITS SELF !!
The big pressure pot also gets a plastic container inside its holds 6 kgs of gel coat at a time , again just the outside of the pipe need to be cleaned and the plastic comntainer with acetone does the rest !
I introduce an extra air pressure regulator solely for the spray gun only and this gives a perfect spray adjustment from the gun and dramatically cuts down on over spray and if you know your stuff ! , Most all the time I never even wear protective cloths or even gloves or a respirator while working, as I learned many years ago a special spraying technique I use always not only for get coating and painting but operating a chopper gun and no ,no over spray comes my way ! PLUS get the setting right for the pot and the gun overspray is kept to a absolute minimum and always going away from you !
Ok the top picture is a wet film thickness gauge absolutely vital if you are wanting to get the right amount of gel coat on any article at the correct thickness and this is where and what causes so much gel coat problems Know the square area of the job and the amount of gel coat needed and weigh the container before and after to check your accuracy !
Over the year I have spent countless hours spraying gelcoats and spraying glass and resins using chopper guns and saturator guns for resin only , all day long and completely understand everything to do with the equipment and the best and easiest ways of working !
The presurepots and gun etc are mostly made from old damaged equipment But with a good clean and some TLC have found in rubbish in the store all and everything to make these systems and the work perfectly !
NOTE THE SPRAY GUN HAS THE HOOK ON TOP BROKEN OFF BY A STUPID WORKER FRUSTRATED HE COULDNT GET THE GUN TO WORK PROPERLY AND THEW IT AGAINST A CONCRETE WALL ! Only way to fix those kinds of people is to send them packing on the spot and never come back ! When I train a gel coat operator they need to know all and everything about there , and to be able to completely strip a gun and clean 110% shiny clean and be able to reassemble it completely BLIND FOLDED ! Gel coating and spray equipment is a very complex subject and you need to completely focused on what you doing and know the system inside out !

I can see where a pressure pot is great if painting the entire boat. I use a Binks Mark 1 HVLP spray gun to spray unthinned latex paint with a pot. I also use a pressure regulator at the gun for the paint and things work out fine. The advantage of the pressure regulator is the gun height will spray the same at both high and low heights. But spaying gel coat with a pot? It would I guess would have to be used with a mixing gun or the stuff could cure in the hose & pot.

Just the thought cleaning the hoses....wow...you using throwaway paint hoses? Maybe I am missing something here.

The concept of the pot for unthinned paint works for me at least when used with a pot. A suction cup or gravity I found difficult to spay things like latex. All depends on the viscosity I guess.
foggysail is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread