Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Progressive Boat Insurance - Good / Bad

Notices
Like Tree1Likes

Progressive Boat Insurance - Good / Bad

Old 03-22-2008, 10:24 AM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location:
Posts: 856
Default Re: Progressive Boat Insurance - Good / Bad

pau-hana - 3/22/2008 12:26 PM

Progressive is great if your boat is under 14' or so (a garage boat) and under $3k valuation.

I don't make that statement as a result of a bad experience-I insure boats for a living, and it's my responsibility to know how the insured is covered.

Progressive, in short, is a market of last resort.
OK ... can you tell us why? Who do you recommend for higher dollar boats?
little tooth is offline  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:52 AM
  #42  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,092
Default Re: Progressive Boat Insurance - Good / Bad

There are 2 "forms" (policy types), if you will, within the marine insurance arena; Boat and Yacht. A boat form is generally offered by property and casualty agents (Allstate, Pemce, Safeco, Geico, Farmers, AAA, Progressive), and it's basically a modified auto type policy in that it offers depreciated valuation in the event of total loss, and little to no coverage in some partial losses. A Boat form will not cover the following areas:
-Mechanical Breakdown
-Pollution or Salvage
-Agreed valuation
-Consequential damage coverage
-Medical or personal effects coverages


A Yacht form will cover all these areas of concern, and more.

The key to any marine policy is in the wording of the policy itself. A Boat policy is generally exclusive in nature; if a concern is not specifically worded as a covered item, it's excluded. A Yacht form is generally inclusive- if a concern is not specifically excluded, it's covered.

Some boat policies have endorsements written in that add some of the coverage, but overall, a yacht form serves the enduser better. Costwise, there's a few percentage points difference between the two, but nothing extreme.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest; there are good underwriter and brokers across the nation. Le t me know where you are, and I'll get you some info on who writes in your area.
pau-hana is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 05:30 AM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 524
Default

Originally Posted by Brad1 View Post
I have Progressive. I have never filed a claim with them so I can't comment on their service as far has handling claims. The one issue I have with them is that they have raised their rates roughly 10% a year over the last three years for no reason what-so-ever. Neither my Wife or I had any tickets, filed any claims with any insurance. We both have perfect credit. I contacted them about it and they could not provide an explanation. Perhaps, it has something to do with all of the claims they had to pay out as a result of Katrina and other unfortunate disasters and if that was the case, I'd be fine with that, but at least give me some explanation.
Thats sound strange to raise your rates every year. Progressive has been lowering my rates for the past 3 years. You may want to check your credit. Some companies base the premiums on your credit rating as well. Bad credit = bad premium. Im NOt saying thats your issue but I cant think of anything else(other then location.
AlexisMarie is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 AM
  #44  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Heathsville, VA
Posts: 26
Default

I had USAA for everything (boat, homeowners, cars, etc) for 40+ years. In 2007, when I put my Maine home (vacation home) up for sale, they cancelled my homeowners policy (after I had had it for 10 years). That same year, after agreeing to insure my new home in
Virginia, they cancelled it 30 days later, citing it was too far from a fire department and that the department had to truck in their water because of no hydrants. (We live 300' from the Chesapeake Bay). I found a local company here in Va that insured my home for less than USAA had wanted, with lower deductables, no problems. I have since had a claim for storm damage with them, paid in full, quickly, no raise in rates.

I have since cancelled all USAA coverage and now have Progressive for my boats, cars and another company for homeowners. After 40 years....Also cancelled my USAA gold Mastercard and got my Subscribers Savings Account Balance refunded (over $10K).

Progressive was cheaper in every case for boats/cars for the same coverage, and rates have gone down each year with even lower deductables offered.
Captain Charlie is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 05:54 AM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 138
Default

Originally Posted by Victory 1 View Post
I "had" Progressive, for my 05 F250 lariat Diesel, got into a front end accident, and went thru HELL with Prog. to get them to fix my truck. I had to complain, haggle, and argue to get them to give me OEM parts for this 50k vechile, where as they were trying to give me re manufactered parts!! The headlights didnt match, and the beam widths were diff.....the list goes on and on. It took me over 45days to get them to do what the should have done from the begining! Read you Policy!!! and get ready to fight! they actually tried to put a junkyard reman. bumper on my truck lol!
I am non OEM parts the owner of a collision repair center and with work with all insurance companys,My personal insurance is with state farm,you get what you pay for,and progressive does not tell you the fine print that they have the option to use aftermarket or non OEM parts.
baronman is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 05:54 AM
  #46  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
catfever24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Up the Creek, FL
Posts: 5,157
Default

I`ve got Progressive on my boats and trucks. So far all good. Cheaper than State Farm and more coverage.
catfever24 is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 06:33 AM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 244
Default NBOA-Progressive

I have Progressive through my NBOA membership which was much cheaper than anything my independent insurance agent could find for me. The combination gives me $1K towing coverage, No experience with damage claims but did have a $940 tow that was reimbursed promptly
Swspencer is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,201
Default

I've been happy with Progressive.
billatstarbrite is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 AM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 662
Default

I'm paying about $350 a year for full replacement value on a $26K package. I have 500 deductible. I have the upper coverage level on liability and medical for passengers (300K ea.), skiing, tow sports etc . I get reimbursed for towing and costs to bring gas, emergency supplies, battery jumps etc


Can Progressive really beat that price?
WhiteBucket is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 10:06 AM
  #50  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location:
Posts: 353
Default

I get a kick out of these insurance threads. Progressive can be higher or lower than another carrier, can be better or worse in case of claim. At any given moment someone in the insurance industry is "buying business" with artificially low rates that will have to increase in the future. And every boat insurer has a "sweet spot" for a particular client that gives them good results.

And those claims folks, they are work a day people just like yourselves trying to make a living. If you treat them with respect, they will return the respect, they want to make you happy with your boat repair but they only have so much power over the shops what will actually restore your boat.

Your 50,000 mile car/truck or 3 year old boat is used.. if you sell it you must call it used.. or if you sell parts off of it you must specify used.. why do you think your insurance company must put on only new oem parts? Ford or Chevy would love for everyone to specify only new oem parts for all their repairs, it would drive up their profit margins. But how many of those on this thread criticizing non-oem parts for repairs have their car or truck's oil changed at the dealer? Or buy tires from the new car dealer? You don't because you can get the same tires less expensively somewhere else.

3/4 of this thread was about price, so how much more are you willing to pay on your premiums to guarantee only new parts? It goes hand in hand.
SnoweyTiger is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 AM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 424
Thumbs up Global Marine Insurance Agency

Heather Pikutis has taken extremely good care of us. I recommend them to all my clients and triple engine boats are no problem!
sportboats is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 PM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,979
Default

Originally Posted by Gottarpon View Post
I just got a quote from Progressive and it was 1/2 of what State Farm will charge me onceI get my new boat. Am I missing something, is State Farm ripping me off that bad or does Progressive have a bad reputation whan it comes to claims?
I've used them for years. As many as five auto's and two boats at same time.
Claims on both, auto's, (I have them on "speed dial" for my youngest daughter) and boat.
I've been 100% satisfied with them.
mike carrigan is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 PM
  #53  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: California
Posts: 87
Default

Originally Posted by mike carrigan View Post
I've used them for years. As many as five auto's and two boats at same time.
Claims on both, auto's, (I have them on "speed dial" for my youngest daughter) and boat.
I've been 100% satisfied with them.
How old is your youngest daughter; I have a 17 year old son that I might want to introduce to her? Maybe between the two of them we can make a couple or at least one safe driver!

I have had two progressive boat policies and have been very pleased with their service. They were about 40% less than State Farm's premiums.
DSCHMALTZ is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Posts: 1,721
Default

I have Progressive and in my first year with them hit "something solid" with the boat. They stood tall and paid for the repairs minus my deductible in 2 days. Did not raise my rates afterwords. This was a >$10K claim.
Very happy with them.
crothers is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 01:12 PM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,979
Default

Originally Posted by crothers View Post
I have Progressive and in my first year with them hit "something solid" with the boat. They stood tall and paid for the repairs minus my deductible in 2 days. Did not raise my rates afterwords. This was a >$10K claim.
Very happy with them.
You hurt your new 23?
mike carrigan is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
  #56  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jax Fla,Horseshoe Beach Fla
Posts: 13,398
Default

Originally Posted by SnoweyTiger View Post
I get a kick out of these insurance threads. Progressive can be higher or lower than another carrier, can be better or worse in case of claim. At any given moment someone in the insurance industry is "buying business" with artificially low rates that will have to increase in the future. And every boat insurer has a "sweet spot" for a particular client that gives them good results.

And those claims folks, they are work a day people just like yourselves trying to make a living. If you treat them with respect, they will return the respect, they want to make you happy with your boat repair but they only have so much power over the shops what will actually restore your boat.

Your 50,000 mile car/truck or 3 year old boat is used.. if you sell it you must call it used.. or if you sell parts off of it you must specify used.. why do you think your insurance company must put on only new oem parts? Ford or Chevy would love for everyone to specify only new oem parts for all their repairs, it would drive up their profit margins. But how many of those on this thread criticizing non-oem parts for repairs have their car or truck's oil changed at the dealer? Or buy tires from the new car dealer? You don't because you can get the same tires less expensively somewhere else.

3/4 of this thread was about price, so how much more are you willing to pay on your premiums to guarantee only new parts? It goes hand in hand.


I have no problem with used part's,I do have a problem with cheap Chinese after market parts on my trucks
tommyr904 is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 100
Default Progressive's boat insurance

Progressive's boat insurance offers you insurance coverage you need for your boats or personal watercraft. Similar to automobile insurance, Progressive Insurance claims to make boat insurance easy. It also provides you the facility of obtaining an online boat insurance quote. There are many options offered under various schemes, including on-Water towing, replacements, reimbursement of damages and others. There are many options to choose from besides the Progressive Insurance. Only when you compare all the policy offerings, you will be able to purchase the right policy.
Allmand Boats is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 AM
  #58  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 5,156
Default

I had them for a while on my boat. Had one minor claim and I don't have anything negative to say about the way they handled it. I would use them again.
DreamWeaver21 is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 AM
  #59  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsyltucky
Posts: 7,138
Default

Originally Posted by AlexisMarie View Post
Thats sound strange to raise your rates every year. Progressive has been lowering my rates for the past 3 years. You may want to check your credit. Some companies base the premiums on your credit rating as well. Bad credit = bad premium. Im NOt saying thats your issue but I cant think of anything else(other then location.
Nope. Credit's perfect. No traffic tickets, nothing. They just raised the rates. When I called them about it, they couldn't give me any type of meaningful explanation.

Funny thing is, I also use Progressive for my motorcycle insurance and the rates on that policy have dropped about 50% since I first started with them back in '03.

Go figure.
Brad1 is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 AM
  #60  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,698
Default

Major downside to buying Progressive is the owner. Ultra left wing individual.

I'm not in favor of a guys who supports politicians that are trying to ram it up my A--!

Look it up.
ESSRTEE8 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread