Notices
The Boating Forum

Panga question

Old 04-08-2021, 05:30 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 108
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Panga question

Is there such a thing as a wide beam panga style boat? I really like the simplicity and floor space of a panga but not the narrow beam. Also, how do these boats handle offshore confused chop in the GOM? Thank you
Old 04-08-2021, 06:17 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 196
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

They will handle quite okay if they are long enough and the beam is narrow enough. Wider beam on a flat bottom boat means more stability but also more pain in your back.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:17 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 155
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

The panga style hull is made to cut through the water, hence they are all narrow. A wide beam, panga hull would defeat the purpose.

I have an 18’ panga type hull and it handles chop surprisingly well. It is a full 3 piece construction so while it does have a narrower beam, interior space is comparable to a much wider 2 piece build.

i have fished mine up to 25 miles or so out in the gulf and the wrecks in the Atlantic off the keys. Obviously you have to pick your days but it handles a lot more then basically all other flats boats.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:59 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: The Big Bend, FL
Posts: 562
Received 124 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Most Panga style boats have an 8' beam. How wide do you want it?
Old 04-08-2021, 09:11 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marion, SC
Posts: 783
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Srbenda View Post
Most Panga style boats have an 8' beam. How wide do you want it?
No I don't think that's accurate. I have a 26 Angler Panga with a 7.5 beam and that's wide for a Panga.
Likes:
Old 04-08-2021, 11:01 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 148
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aufan View Post
Is there such a thing as a wide beam panga style boat? I really like the simplicity and floor space of a panga but not the narrow beam. Also, how do these boats handle offshore confused chop in the GOM? Thank you
Mojito boats use to make a wider beam panga. Occasionally, you can find one used.
https://mojitoboats.com/index.php?pageID=12097
Likes:
Old 04-08-2021, 12:22 PM
  #7  
MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location:
Posts: 67
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I run a Mojito and it’s not very wide with a 7’8” beam and a wide gunwale but it fishes 3 people with enough room. I’ve been very surprised at the ride in snotty stuff. Again, common sense, but if I get caught in rough chop in closely spaced 2-3’s, it handles it very well with a little tab applied. Bay Area of Port St Joe did that to us two days ago and it did well. Mojito’s are not traditional panga hulls either, they’re heavier and shaped a little different. I looked a lot before going to a Panga and for what I do, it’s hard to beat.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:48 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CA & San Carlos, Mx
Posts: 23,577
Received 1,320 Likes on 835 Posts
Default

As they get longer they get wider, but id you want 8' you will have to be 29' long, and these hulls use 225's where a 70 hp will run a 25 with a 6' beam, or around 5 wide at the water line. Lots of OEM's are calling their hulls pangas but that's really just a marketing ploy imo.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:19 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Boca Raton, FL & Key Largo
Posts: 889
Received 456 Likes on 245 Posts
Default

look up bayou to bluewater"s website. They advertise a 23 Imemsa that has a wider-than-standard beam for the 23s
Old 04-08-2021, 04:29 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 112
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EdwardB View Post
look up bayou to bluewater"s website. They advertise a 23 Imemsa that has a wider-than-standard beam for the 23s
it is called the w23-nt I think
Old 04-08-2021, 05:00 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 108
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated
Old 04-08-2021, 05:18 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tarpon Springs
Posts: 6,202
Received 1,307 Likes on 771 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ocean29lb2 View Post
The panga style hull is made to cut through the water, hence they are all narrow. A wide beam, panga hull would defeat the purpose.

I have an 18’ panga type hull and it handles chop surprisingly well. It is a full 3 piece construction so while it does have a narrower beam, interior space is comparable to a much wider 2 piece build.

i have fished mine up to 25 miles or so out in the gulf and the wrecks in the Atlantic off the keys. Obviously you have to pick your days but it handles a lot more then basically all other flats boats.
If Andros made the Tarpon 26 in 3 piece construction that would be an incredible boat.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:02 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CA & San Carlos, Mx
Posts: 23,577
Received 1,320 Likes on 835 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 76 Mako 23 View Post
If Andros made the Tarpon 26 in 3 piece construction that would be an incredible boat.

Do you consider an Andros a Panga?
Old 04-09-2021, 06:18 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 346
Received 412 Likes on 113 Posts
Default

If youre just looking for a simple fishing layout checkout Maritime boats, C-Hawk, and Parker. They all make barebones center consoles
Old 04-09-2021, 08:05 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Zephyrhills,Fl.USA
Posts: 900
Received 107 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

From my experience, running in a following sea can get quite exciting.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.