Notices
The Boating Forum

Suzuki hours break down

Old 02-06-2021, 06:03 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 876
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Suzuki hours break down

Calling all suzuki experts. Why a motor with 500 hours have 48 oil change reminders?
Old 02-06-2021, 06:15 AM
  #2  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Saint Augustine
Posts: 840
Received 671 Likes on 300 Posts
Default

I believe maybe every time they started the motor but didn't reset the oil change reminder? Maybe an owner that didn't care about the beeping in the background?
Old 02-08-2021, 06:28 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 876
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by datlhookYa View Post
I believe maybe every time they started the motor but didn't reset the oil change reminder? Maybe an owner that didn't care about the beeping in the background?
that makes sense. Thank you so much.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:14 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 4,285
Received 1,171 Likes on 703 Posts
Default

Owner probably did not know how to reset the oil change alarm.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:17 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,924
Received 1,445 Likes on 764 Posts
Default

Bet owner unplugged buzzer.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:21 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,891
Received 559 Likes on 430 Posts
Default

By the way, looking at that report .... I would be looking VERY closely at how that engine is propped.

It may well be over propped - as indicated by very few hours run between 5000-6000 and zero above 6000.

For long happy life, you want your Suzuki propped so it reaches 6000rpm min, or very close at WOT.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:41 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 876
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
Default

Thank you guys. I couldn’t agree on the price and pass on the motor.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:54 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Marathon Fl. (Sombrero Isle)
Posts: 3,704
Received 585 Likes on 398 Posts
Default

I don't agree that the motor is over propped based on that report, ( not saying that is propped correctly) Cruise appears to be around 4000, which is Ok in my book, and it clearly runs above 5000, I am a yami guy right now and the motor specs are likely similar, or WOT 5500-6000. So he clearly could be propped at 5800 WOT and that would not be any concern to me if purchasing.

I would be more concerned about the oil reminders, If I guy can not or does not reset that alarm, how diligent was he to doing the work, Did he say it was to hard or expensive and just do it very 150-200 hours etc.....
Old 02-09-2021, 08:10 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Terra Ceia Island FL.
Posts: 1,657
Received 236 Likes on 187 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by highflier1 View Post
I don't agree that the motor is over propped based on that report, ( not saying that is propped correctly) Cruise appears to be around 4000, which is Ok in my book, and it clearly runs above 5000, I am a yami guy right now and the motor specs are likely similar, or WOT 5500-6000. So he clearly could be propped at 5800 WOT and that would not be any concern to me if purchasing.

I would be more concerned about the oil reminders, If I guy can not or does not reset that alarm, how diligent was he to doing the work, Did he say it was to hard or expensive and just do it very 150-200 hours etc.....
I agree with most this statement about proper propping. Agreeably, I would prefer it to be over 6000rpm max. My boat cruises nicely between 3500 -4250. While I am propped to hit 6200 +/- 50 rpm, I bet I only have 10 total minutes in 560 hours over 6000 rpm. I check it ever couple months on a nice day to make sure it still reaches its max rated. Very rarely do I cruise in the 5000-6000 rpm range. I would be surprised if I have 5 hours in that range.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:34 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 5,534
Received 384 Likes on 254 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tcijoe View Post
I agree with most this statement about proper propping. Agreeably, I would prefer it to be over 6000rpm max. My boat cruises nicely between 3500 -4250. While I am propped to hit 6200 +/- 50 rpm, I bet I only have 10 total minutes in 560 hours over 6000 rpm. I check it ever couple months on a nice day to make sure it still reaches its max rated. Very rarely do I cruise in the 5000-6000 rpm range. I would be surprised if I have 5 hours in that range.
Same here. I can hit 6100rpm or so but the vast majority of my time is in the 600-1000rpm range. Cruise is almost always in the 4000-5000 range. I spend very little time over 5k.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:41 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,784
Received 222 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

I have 250 hrs on mine and also might have 10 minutes at or above 6000 rpms. I'd much prefer a boat with no hours over 6000 than the majority of hours over 6000....

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.